5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Stream 205 - the best radio I've ever owned!
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Stream 205 Radio
Published 21 months ago by Bruce Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Stream 205 - the best radio I've ever owned!, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Robert Stream 205 Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio - Black (Electronics)
I have been a radio listening enthusiast for over 30 years and decided that I needed an internet radio that I could use without the computer. I was at first divided between the Roberts 202 and the Pure Evoke Flow. From the reviews I read the Pure seemed to be popular, although I found many reviews which said that they could go wrong easily. So I went to my local electrical store and listened to both the Roberts 202 and the Pure Evoke. There was no competition really. The Roberts sounded great while the Pure sounded muddy. The only problem was that the shop had sold out of the Roberts and also I had heard that the button layout on the 202 was a little fiddly.

So I went home and did another internet search and stumbled across the Roberts 205. It looked similar to the 202 but the buttons were laid out better and from what I could see, it had only been on the market for a couple of months. 2 days later my radio arrived and I can honestly say that its the best radio I have ever owned. Despite there being no dials to change the treble and bass, the sound was perfect straight out of the box.

So, what's so great about this little radio?

Well, for starters, I can pretty much pick up any internet radio station I want. Although there are only 5 preset button for internet radio (and 5 for FM and DAB too), I found that the best feature on this radio is that there is a section for favourites and also new stations that I have found myself. For anyone who doesnt already know, you can use this radio in conjunction with a website called the 'Frontier Silicon Wi-Fi Portal.' You log onto the Portal and enter your radio's specific code (which is found in the help menu on the radio) and once that is done you can browse their already extensive library of stations and add them to your favourites and also add new ones into your 'added stations' that are not already in their database. Then you just fire up your radio - go to favourites or added stations and the new stations are there. You can even sort your favourite stations into your own categories. Also remember that this radio has DAB, FM and you can use it with Last FM - you can hook up your MP3 to it and control it from the radio too!

My friend happened to visit on the day I got the radio and he was so impressed that he was going to get one too. If you like music that isnt really played a lot on the radio (especially in the UK) like Jazz, Heavy Metal, or Alternative, then this radio is for you. You can go to the station list and then you get a list of genres to browse. There are literally thousands of stations ready to go.

To give you an idea of some of the stuff I have found in just 3 days, by using the radio together with the Portal website, I have listened to the Police in California, Anchorage air traffic control, NASA mission control, BBC podcasts, paranormal radio stations (which you wouldnt hear on anything other than a radio like this), Ham radio and many stations from around the world. The radio is easy to use and has categories for continents, countries and genres. I want to also mention that whoever wrote the instructions did a fantastic job - they are the best set of instructions Ive read!

I knew this radio was going to be good because it is a Roberts - a name famous for making reliable radios - but the 205 far exceeded my expectations. There is even a setting so you can set the strength of light for the display - both when it is on and when it is standby. There are 2 alarms (which can be set to buzzer or any of the radio stations and can have different settings for week days and weekends) and a sleep timer too.

If you are looking for a nice sounding, easy to use internet radio then you will not go far wrong with the Roberts 205. I'm not sure about the guys review on here who said the radio was fiddly to use. I soon got used to selecting the sleep feature and other stuff - it quickly becomes second nature. I think I made the right choice - I stumbled across a forum the other day of former Pure internet radio users who had decided to buy Roberts because their old radios were unreliable or had broken.

Take my advice - for the money I dont think you will buy better than this radio!

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Stream 205 Radio, 22 Dec 2012
My first impressions were that this is a quality radio. It has in my opinion very nice styling and the user interface is very intuitive and well thought out. My problems with this radio started when I tried listening to it at low volume at night which is basically what I wanted it for. On either internet, DAB or FM there is a loud background noise that is audible at all times. One other reviewer Viliam from london has also commented on this problem. I also have a Pure Evoke Flow internet, DAB and FM radio costing around the same as the Roberts which is three and a half years old but has much higher quality sound albeit from one speaker and absolutely no background noise whatsoever. This noise I think is due to lack of shielding around some of the electronic components inside the radio. Leaving this shielding out is done to save on manufacturing costs but Roberts should not let their standards drop as this shielding would only add a few pence to each unit. To be honest having two speakers on a radio of this size is silly as they are so close together that you can't possibly get the full stereo effect, money could be saved there. So overall nice, but mine is going back due to what is really in this day and age an inexcusable and avoidable fault.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun straight out of the box, 9 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (waterlooville, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For a radio with so many options it is a remarkable achievement to make it so simple to set up. Being somewhat familiar with the technology I took it straight out of the box and had it up and running on the internet in a couple of minutes without opening the manual. I'm not a HiFi connoisseur but I found the sound good too, benefiting no doubt from the largish case(for a portable radio).
Setting up favourite internet stations through the web site is also a simple process but I have to admit to referring to the manual for this as it involves navigating through the radio menues to get an identification code specific to your radio.
I live in a DAB gray area, the DAB receiver worked fine until I turned the bedside light on. Not a problem of this radio per-se but DAB seems particularly prone to interference from energy saving lights, something to watch.
Persuading my Windows 7 PC to deliver music also required one more step than I anticipated as the radio found the PC fine but the PC wouldn't share any music. Definitely worth reading the manual for this.
Navigating the BBCs listen again service is a little daunting. Unlike the BBC web site which has structure, on the radio you are presented with an alphabetical list of everything which is available for the chosen channel. Still it works just great when you have found what you want.

Minor niggles (or why I didn't give it 5 stars):
* Why isn't the clock backed up with a separate battery? It temporarily looses the time when switching from mains to battery (but gets it back again automatically).
* Why does plugging the adapter in glitch the power? It takes the radio 30 seconds + to start up after power loss which is probably OK if it only happens when changing batteries. I keep the adapter by the bed but carry the radio round the house so this happens a lot.
* Why can't radio manufacturers make battery compartments that work reliably? For the first few hours after putting batteries in I fought with the radio turning itself off every time I put it down. I have a Sony which does this too so I used the same fix - a piece of folded tissue paper between the batteries and the removable back of the compartment.
* Where is pause / fast forward/ rewind when listening to listen again items? If you start listening to something and come back to it later it is a real pain to have to listen from the beginning again.
* Where is pause and rewind for DAB and FM? Not essential but a really useful feature if your spouse/partner/child/parent/colleague decides that the middle of your favourite programme is the right time to enter a deep conversation.
* Shouldn't there be an integrated rechargable battery option? 6 "D" cells are not cheap. I'd pay an extra 25 pounds for a built in rechargable battery which gave a days listening (say 8-10 hours) between charges.

OK so having discovered the personality of this radio I still like it, it is packed with features which are easy to use. It is stylish, the sound is good for a portable radio and the minor problems can be forgiven to be able to listen to what I want, when I want, anywhere in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the current best internet radios in the market, 10 July 2011
This is my second internet radio. I also have tens of SW, LW, AM, and FM radios apart from HAM radios. I am an avid Short Wave listener and for a year also internet radio listerner. I am also an expat. I have electromagnetic syndrome by which I react to microwaves like mobile phone and WiFi. I have no WiFi at home. Instead I have a big powerline network at home permanently conected to a lot of devices. For me, it was very important that the internet radio has an Ethernet conection, because the one I had can only use WiFi. This issue limited my choice to Sageans, Roberts, and a few more radios (by the way, all high quality radio brands).

I was doubting about buying the very succesful Roberts Stream 83i or this Stream 205. The Stream 205 was launched to the market at the begining of this year (2011) and it is the latest internet radio marketed by Roberts. After some research I understood that the Stream 205 is more similar to the Stream 83i than to the Stream 201, 203, 203, etc. The Stream 83i has a fantastic software and speakers that makes it one of the best internet radios. The Stream 202 and 203 are not up to challenge. I was afraid about the 205 being like its precesors. Instead Roberts has solved the software problems of its predecesor and change the speakers and it has listened to its customers by ading some new performances like accepting the use of batteries, that it is not available in the Stream 83i. This radio been built and designed on the Stream 83i and I see it as a beautiful Stream 83i with some new advantages. The white radio is a very beautyfull design, better than it looks in the pictures.

Everything people said about the Stream 83i can be applied here. I have it for six months and I have not used yet some foctions like last.fm and the music player conected to a PC. Instead I have used the FM, DAB and internet radio several hours per day, seven days per week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marconi would have loved this!, 27 Dec 2010
I am am a Brit who has retired to western Sweden having lived in many parts of the world during my working life. I have wrestled with SW transmissions from Europe in both Africa and the Soviet Union, progressed from MW and LW to FM in the UK and latterly discovered internet radio on my computer here in Sweden. The advent of proper internet radios (which can even be called "wirelesses") is an extraordinary boon for people like me with roots in more than one place, an interest in current affairs and in music. The Roberts Stream 205 in which I have now invested is a truly wonderful piece of equipment. It is not too big, but puts out an impressive sound, both in terms of quality and volume. Its looks are somewhat retro, its functions many and varied. There is inevitably a down side to all this. It begins with the instruction book. Most electronic kit these days has a chunky booklet which turns out to have the same two pages of instructions in 50 languages. The Roberts has a similarly chunky booklet of 100 pages, but this is all one instruction book for the different functions of the radio. I blenched, dear readers. But once I had got my head around the idea that to make an internet connection involves a bit of activity on the computer as well as with the radio I had no great problem in connecting to my favourite programmes both here in Sweden and in the UK. I have yet to investigate radio from Albania or the Pacific islands, but have no doubt that they will come in loud and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 18 Sep 2011
Ann (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
I was confident this would be a good buy as it is a Which? recommendation. I needed the internet radio so I could receive BBC broadcasts in France. Initially concerned whether I would be able to set it up, I needn't have worried as the instruction book is very easy to follow, so connecting to the internet was quick. Reception is excellent and ability to 'listen again' just what I wanted. The radio looks good as well so very pleased with purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Last.FM is not supported on this radio., 18 May 2014
I purchased this radio a few days ago around (14 05 2014) solely on its advertised Last.FM functionalities as would many other Last.FM subscribers.This radio is still being sold and portrayed as being able to use Last.FM services such as Last.FM radio, Scrobbling functionality, and a host of other advertised Last.FM specific services.

Last.FM is NOT NOT NOT supported on this radio. The radio menus and connections appear to support Last, FM functionality, but it doesn't any more and this has been the case for months and yet the specs and details descrbing the functionality of this WiFi radio and LastFM is at best a gross error and at worst, misleading.

I must stress that the advertised functionality of this radio is in error and I would advise customers not to expect Last FM. functionality as the product descripton states. Last.FM have disconntinued offerng the support that needs to be in place for the Roberts Stream 205 Radio to function as described and that many of the thousands who subscribe to Last.FM would expect from a radio purporting to offer this functionality whch is now not the true situation.

Otherwise, the radio is excellent , but as far as Last.FM is concerned its a dumb brick and as much use as a car without fuel to make it work as advertised.

£120+ quid is not an inconsiderable sum for most people, and for that price you would expect to get a radio with the advertised specs and functionality and to work as it says it does.

Please, Please, ensure that Last.FM functionality is not the reason you are considering purchasing ths radio. This radio should be discontinued untill such time as Roberts ensures that Last.FM is available as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at an attractive price, 3 May 2014
I bought this radio largely for internet use in our holiday home in the Algarve, where we have lost all access to satellite TV and radio transmissions with the re-positioning of Astra 2E. The radio is very simple to tune in via the recommended Frontier Silicon Wi-Fi radio portal, and sound production is excellent, even without bass or treble controls. Easy access to literally hundreds of stations will certainly be welcome this Summer. DAB tuning and sound production is also excellent in UK, and as Portugal has the same DAB system as us I anticipate few problems there either. USB/Aux input, headphone socket, clock and alarm - what more could you want for the money. Battery/mains too, although there is a warning about high battery useage - particularly with WiFi. Not quite sure why Last.fm music service is included, as I have no intention of using it with everything else that is available for free. Nice styling, and a reasonable size too. 5 station presets, but with sensible use of the favourites menu on internet in particular, I can't see me needing many pre-sets. All in all, a quality product at the usual Amazon discount price, delivered within 24 hours of ordering via Amazon Prime. Well pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly lacking one feature that would save it., 9 Mar 2011
Tavi (Trowbridge, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've lived with the Stream 205 for about a month now, and I've got mixed feelings about it, I'll keep this as simple as possible.

The Good:

- The user interface is nice and simple;
- The range of internet radio stations automatically picked up is amazing, I particularly like the sorting by genre;
- It sounds very good;
- The USB port for plugging in an MP3 player is a nice touch;
- It makes finding podcasts/listen again content very simple.

The Bad:

- You cannot pause, rewind or fast-forward podcasts or listen again content.

- 1 in 3 podcasts fail to play all the way through without it giving up and returning you to the main menu. It's probably lost wireless connection momentarily, but instead of waiting to see if the connection returns it just gives up. This might be a non-issue on a more stable wired connection.

- It doesn't store where you've got to in a particular podcast, so, if it gives up 23 minutes in to a half an hour podcast, when you restart it, it will start the playback from 0. Did I mention there was no fast-forward feature for podcasts?

- Oh, and it doesn't have an equaliser. If you don't like the sound coming out of it, tough. Luckily I think it sounds quite good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent internet radio, 10 Dec 2012
Received my Roberts Stream 205 on 7 Dec and had it up and running in 5 minutes. This radio is very easy to setup for the wifi internet, especially if you are using WPS security on your wifi router. Getting your favourite radio stations onto the radio is a very straight forward process, but you must read the manual and follow the instructions. OK, the radio takes a few seconds to come to life when using the internet, but that is the nature of internet - you always have to wait for a connection. The sound quality is good for listening, but not hi-fi quality which does not detract from the quality of a Roberts radio.

I have not tested the DAB or FM on the radio because there is no DAB in my area in Poland and the FM stations are all in Polish.

I am now listening to BBC Radio 4 in Poland as I type this review.

Would definitely recommend this radio to anyone who is looking for an internet radio.