5.0 out of 5 stars A Touchstone Recording
This is a magnificent, touchstone recording of Organ Symphony, which displays glorious BPO sounds in full (how tame and dull it sounds now under Simon Rattle!). The sublime slow movement is played most beautifully with the stunning sense of rapt lyricism. The last movement is one of the most powerful and exciting on records.
Published on 6 Dec. 2011 by Scriabinmahler

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: a very low "energy" recording
Published 13 months ago by Mom from Oz

5.0 out of 5 stars A Touchstone Recording, 6 Dec. 2011
Scriabinmahler (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensational line-up, 11 Mar. 2010
A Kid's Review
I have loved the classical organ for the past 40 years and since my schooldays have thought nothing of travelling huge distances to hear recitals by some of the greatest performers of their time, on some of the world's finest instruments. When I was a schoolboy Karajan was my favourite conductor and the Berlin Phil. the orchestra I admired most. The great organ of Notre Dame has also always been one of my absolute favourites and I remember daydreaming a a teenager about how wonderful it would be if all of these could be assembled to produce a definitive performance of this stunning work. When thumbing one day through the latest issue of Gramophone Magazine imagine my excitement when I saw that the impossible had happened. Needless to say the LP was in my collection in 'record' time and it has been one of my most valued possessions ever since.

I think I have heard all the best known versions but none in my opinion comes close for sheer excitement and ravishing sound. As an added bonus it even has the great Cochereau on the French instrument, whose snarling reeds are perfectly suited to this work. I did read one review accusing it of being 'over-the-top' but I really feel that this is often what Romantic performances are about and I find some of the alternatives decidedly wishy-washy in comparison.

Buy it, sit down with a glass of something and prepare to be invigorated, but take care not to spill your drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars total crap! The berlin philharmonic didnt weep at their first ..., 16 Oct. 2014
In reply to Mom from Oz;What a total lie,total crap!The berlin philharmonic didnt weep at their first rehearsal!Its you that sucks the life and truth out of anything!In fact he gave the berlin and the vienna philharmonic new lease of life,a vibrant passion,a profound joy and an indelible beauty of sound and took both orchestras to unforgetable heights!And this recording captures that magic!"Das wunder Karajan" indeed was a magician on the podium and his recordings,including this cd reflects this!Ignore Mom from Oz,she is an idiotic liar!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: a very low "energy" recording, 7 Feb. 2014
Von Karajan became conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic after Furtwangler. Rumour has it that the orchestra wept (in sorrow) after their first rehearsal with Von Karajan because he absolutely sucked the life out of the music. He has done this with Saint-Saens 3rd organ symphony. Sadly, I'd forgotten that story before I purchased this recording. I've given away...to someone who doesn't know I don't like them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you 'Babe'!, 24 Sept. 2013
I didn't know this work until I saw the film 'Babe'. That was years ago, and I always meant to hear the whole work, but never got round to it. I am so glad I finally managed it - the thrill of the last movement is hard to beat.

Saint-SaŽns: Symphony No.3 "Organ"
Saint-Saëns: Symphony No.3 "Organ" by Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan and Pierre Cochereau
Buy MP3 Album£3.49