5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Best Of...at last!
Finally, a definitive DoA Best Of!

This comp has all of the original 7" singles that i have, but have never got round to transfrering, plus loads of other rareities i neevr had.

Excellent for fans like me as well as if you just want an introduction to one of the best bands of the 80's! Olden and golden!
Published on 25 Oct. 2010 by Andrew Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Remastering!
It's great to have the 7 Inch Singles and some of the 12 Inch Mixes on one CD. It's also great, that supposedly the original master tapes were used.

Published on 28 Oct. 2010 by extendedSearch

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Best Of...at last!, 25 Oct. 2010
Finally, a definitive DoA Best Of!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-round singles compilation - plus the Murder Mix!, 1 Nov. 2010
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This is a budget release, but for general listening this has to be the closest we've had to a 'definitive' singles collection. As with a lot of Best Ofs it may well have been mastered in a way that won't suit all listeners' tastes, but it is still a far better collection than Evolution for a fan of original single releases. We don't get odd edits of album or 12" versions here, but a sympathetically ordered tracklisting (yes, the older Sophisticated 7" fit perfectly after "Come Home With Me" despite the age difference) and some choice 12" versions to boot.

This is the genuine Murder Mix of "YSMR", not the Performance Mix as per previous Sony DOA compilations, and the US Wipe-Out Mix of "My Heart Goes Bang" is 6:19, not the 5:59 'edit' present on Evolution (why...?). The inclusion of the Mortevicar Mix of "Something In My House" is the icing on the cake here, but if you don't like 12" mixes you don't have to reprogram the complete CD to avoid them!

I agree with the reviewer who mentions no CD release to date of the second 'remix' release of "What I Want". This mix would be great to have, either in it's 7" or 12" variant, as even Cherry Pop compilers decided to exclude it when choosing bonus tracks for their worthy "Sophisticated Boom Boom" reissue. We'll have to wait...

Notes and artwork are a little sparse, as you'd expect for under £4, but nice quality, and the compilers have done a great job. I hope their efforts introduce Messrs Burns and Co to a new audience, as well as rekindle their art for us die-hards. At this price it scores a very worthy 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Remastering!, 28 Oct. 2010

But what the hell has happened in the remastering stage? This release is another victim to the loudness war. All tracks have the volume jacked up beyond belief and are dynamically compressed to hell. That can clearly be seen by looking at the waveforms in an audio editing application.

That may sound good on some kitchen radios, but not on a hifi-system, where it sounds ear-bleeding. Ok, it is a budget release. One could surely have saved production-money, if the remastering engineer was only told to remaster properly... and not to additionally fiddle with the loudness/compression tools ... unnecessary in every way.

I bought this release not only for the 7 Inch/12 Inch Mixes but also to support the idea of releasing Deluxe Editions of "Youthquake" and "Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know", if sales on this develop well. Now, after this remastering experience I'm not so shure if I still will be on the list of potentially customers.

I'm always looking for the best possible sources of tracks (quality-wise) for archiving purposes. This release is of no use for this. Instead i have to dig out my old vinyl singles and have them to remaster in a proper way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect DOA compilation!, 29 Oct. 2010
What a thrill to have this new Dead or Alive compilation. OK, so it's a budget release, and it's not as if we've never had DOA compilations before. But the difference with this compilation is that you get the original single versions whereas other compilations have tended to use alternative mixes/versions. Main highlights here include the single mixes of 'My heart goes bang', 'Something in my house', 'Hooked on love' and - the one I've really been waiting for - 'Brand new lover'.

As well as this, you get treated to a handful of 12" mixes which round off the collection nicely.

So why is this not quite perfect? Well, can you ever have a perfect compilation....there are some early Dead or Alive tracks that have never made their way on to CD which would be nice to have, although tracks like 'Nowhere to nowhere' and 'Number eleven' are very different in style to the Dead or Alive most people know. Aside from that, my only wish is that the 1984 single version of 'What I want' had been included here when it was re-released as the follow-up to their first hit 'That's the way (I like it)' - it's far superior to the version included here and builds up towards a great operatic long note at the end. Oh well, maybe one day we'll see it included on a deluxe repackage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of...Dead Or Alive, 30 Oct. 2010
Well what can i say 'EXCELLENT' A must have for all 80s lovers...All the hits are here including some 12 inch versions, and you can't really knock the price 'BARGAIN'

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 8 Mar. 2011
Didn't read the product description particularly well before buying, but when I got the CD was OVERJOYED to learn that the original 7 inch versions of the singles were present! I have been wanting some of these song versions for over 5 years, but have not been able to obtain them!

Even if you have already got "Evolution", the original Dead or Alive greatest hits, this is a MUST HAVE! This IS the definitive collection of 80s Dead or Alive, the CD they should have brought out years ago!

Despite this, I recommend getting Evolution as well. It is actually quite different to this compilation through its higher use of remixes, and is worth getting for the 2003 version of You Spin Me Round.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the way I like it, 13 Nov. 2010
Christopher Derer (Blue Bell, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is definitely debatable - some tracks sound a bit harsh. It's over compressed to be sure, but listenable. However, the major flaws here are that both versions of "Lover Come Back To Me" and "Brand New Lover" are pitched incorrectly (they're slightly slow). This is unforgivable. If you visit the Sony Music Entertainment website, you'll find no email address to contact the company (I guess they're not interested in feedback - positive or negative). Sure, it's a dirt cheap compilation, but I would have paid twice the price for a properly mastered product. "Youthquake" and "Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know" are overdue for reissue - perhaps the mistakes here can be corrected then.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's the way... I love it! A superb singles collection., 2 Sept. 2012
Mr. D "Mr. D" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is for: That's The Way I Like It...The Best Of
I've been a fan of Dead Or Alive since before they were famous (almost 30 years!). I've collected most of their output on 7" singles, 12" singles, CD singles, Vinyl LP's, CD albums and not just from the UK, but all over the world. So far there has never been a true "Singles collection", until now. This covers all the UK hits.

To the uninitiated, this may seem like just another Dead Or Alive compilation, but previous compilations favoured a mixture of strange edits or the tracks edited into a 'continuous mix' (often with little finesse). Here they are the 7" single versions (some for the first time on CD), covering all of their UK hit singles, plus four 12" mixes. So, for the fans, this release is a big deal because it offers plenty of "first time on CD" tracks.

I have put together a proper tracklist with some notes (timings from computer):

01) "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" (3:17 7" Version)
02) "That's The Way I Like It" (3:10 7" Version)
03) "Lover Come Back To Me" (3:13 7" Version)
04) "In Too Deep" (3:51 7" Version)
05) "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor)" (3:14 7" Version)
06) "Brand New Lover" (3:42 7" Version)
07) "Something In My House" (3:50 7" Version)
08) "Hooked On Love" (3:36 First 7" Version - BURNS 2)
09) "I'll Save You All My Kisses" (3:29 7" Version)
10) "Turn Around And Count 2 Ten" (4:51 7" Version)
11) "Come Home With Me Baby" (3:52 7" Version)
12) "Misty Circles" (3:52 7" Version)
13) "What I Want" (3:44 First 7" Version - A 3676)
14) "I'd Do Anything" (4:05 7" Version)
15) "Lover Come Back To Me (5:55 Extended Remix from the Remix 12" - QTA 6086) (This mix includes an extra verse not on the original UK 12" single)
16) "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (6:19 'WIPE OUT' Mix from Japanese 12") (There is confusion with two similarly titled mixes: The inlay says American 'WIPE OUT' Mix - That version comes from the UK Remix 12" (QTA 6571) and is 6:43 with a 2:21 intro. However, what is actually included on the disc is the similarly titled 'WIPE OUT' Mix from the Japanese 12" (12-3P-695) which is 6:19 with a 1:52 intro) (This is a significant improvement to the edited version on "Evolution - The Hits", but is not the full American 'WIPE OUT' Mix, which is therefore still not available on CD. However, the likelihood of ever having the Japanese edit was remote, so we are lucky to get that here). To clarify, the two mixes are American 'WIPE OUT' Mix (6:43) and 'WIPE OUT' Mix (6:19). It is the latter mix included on this CD.
17) "Something In My House (7:00 Mortevicar Mix from 12" single - BURNS T1)
18) "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) (8:01 Murder Mix from 12" single - TX 4861) (Most Dead Or Alive CD's include the Performance Mix and a lot of compilations that say they include the Murder Mix actually include the Performance Mix mis-titled or if they do include the Murder Mix it is from a vinyl rip. Here it is the correct version).

So there it is, finally a "Singles collection". I have read a lot of other reviews slating the quality of this release, but I have had no issues with it personally. To the contrary, I think it is superb and I particularly love the use of a fabulous retro photo of Pete from the days when Pete looked.... well.... like Pete.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like a starter pack for anyone who is looking to discover more of Dead Or Alive's music!!, 19 Dec. 2014
This is a best of album that is ideal for any new fans of Pete and Dead Or Alive who want to get to grips with their biggest hits. Pete really was not a one hit wonder, he had many more amazing hits that made it high into the charts, all of which are featured on this album! It was the first hardcopy CD I bought when I discovered him, and it has stayed with me ever since. One for the 80s Lovers too. Honestly, this would provide a great introduction to anyone who is looking to discover Pete's music. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Dead, made me feel Alive, 14 Nov. 2010
For the price this is a great compilation. This covers the early years and the main SAW period for the band. Here you find for the most part, the first time, the original 7" singles of most of these releases. Added to this you will find some extended versions. The Murder Mix of You Spin Me is a must and only recently been available on the SAW Gold CD set. This is the best version of this track.

The extended version of Lover Come Back To Me is not the original Extended Version you find on Youthquake or the Evolution compilation (which was edited). It is different to any I know so worth buying for this alone, along with the 12" of Somthing In My House.

In a perfect world this Cd would also include the 12" of In Too Deep (Off Your Mong Mix) and Brand New Lover (Dust Monkey Mix). Also I would have preferred to have the UK 12" of My Heart Goes Bang, but you can't have everything and I will have to be happy with the digital conversions I have done from my original 12"s.

Evolution was a travesty from a compilation perspective, due to errors on track listings and edits on tracks. This is a very good CD and an addition for the completests amongst us. Just wish that the Japanese 2CD of all the 12" mixes from the SAW period had been released about 2 years ago.

Buy, you won't be sorry.