5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, but watch your electric bill!
I am really impressed at how well this product removes water. I live in an old flat with single glazed sash windows which streamed with condensation every winter. I also started to see mould on some walls, along with a faint stale smell :-(

Published on 9 Feb 2012 by will m

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but expensive to run.
Published 10 months ago by harryO

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, but watch your electric bill!, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Ecoair ECO DD122FW Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier, White (Kitchen & Home)

After trying a compressor type hudidifier which was noisy, and didn't work if the temperature fell much below 20 deg C, I thought I'd try this model. After plugging in it just kept pulling litre upon litre from the air, after a day or so I started to see a big difference. Now condensation only appears on the windows on the coldest frosty mornings, and the mould on walls and the musty smell is gone! I find the turbo mode very useful for drying clothes indoors in winter too, within 5 or 6 hours the clothes are pretty much dry.

One word of warning though, these do use a fair bit of power. Try to be a bit careful... I worked out if this thing is working non stop for 24 hours it will cost you about £1.40 or £2.50 a day depending whether its on the quiet or turbo setting (assuming 15p per kwh). While this might not sound much it does add up! Having said this if you try to keep the humidity around 50 or 60% it only switches on for a few hours a day & will cost you a lot less than this. Try to remember to keep the humidistat set to Lo as much as possible. Set to Hi (40-50 % humidity) only when you need too, eg drying laundry or if it's really cold outside causing damp or condensation. This way you will not be increasing your utility company's vast profits too much:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product, 31 Dec 2013
This is the second humidifier we have ordered and we are delighted with it (hence the second order!). We recently moved into a flat after downsizing. The flat we moved into had been empty for 9 months without any heating during the winter months. As we were advised that according to our deeds and the covenant contained in it we could not dry washing on the balcony or over the balcony railings. We did some research as to how we could dry it indoors and were advised to get a de-humidifier that would dry washing. The reviews for this product were really good and the price was not too bad. We were thrilled that this seemed to be the answer to our problem. As the winter months rolled in we realised that we were getting condensation in the main bedroom on the outside walls. It was the usual story of heating going on and windows closed. We got someone in to advise on what we could do - his advice was to open the windows very slightly, not enough to feel a draught but enough to allow the damp warm air to disperse and allow cool air to come in. He also said to maintain an even temperature throughout the flat and use a de-humidifier to suck the damp air up out of the walls and windows and replace it with warm dry air. This was the best advise ever - it really works - no damp at all now and no condensation on windows or black mould on the walls. Hence the purchase of our second de-humidifier - one that we could move around the flat as needed and also dry the washing at the same time. This is a brilliant piece of equipment and so easy to use. You would be surprised at how much water can be gathered in the tank at the bottom, even when you think there is no damp in the flat. My advice would be to also purchase a thermometer /humidity gauge to help identify which rooms need some help in dealing with condensation etc. We now keep our flat at an even 20 degrees and the relative humidity (RH) at around the 50% mark. Warm and cosy and no condensation. Brilliant. Would definitely recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but expensive to run., 13 Nov 2013
Bought to replace a 10 year old 'compressor' type dehumidifier, I am not too sure how it merits an 'Eco' label. It consumes about a third of a unit of electricity an hour, when on the 'Economy' setting and twice that when set higher. Over a 24 hour period with electricity costing 15p a unit, it could cost you over a £2.00 a day. Over a 2 month period last Winter, my old unit cost about 20p a day, but this was on the low setting.

On the plus side the unit is very light to carry, nice looking and quiet. It does need frequent emptying, but this is easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, 25 Oct 2013
I bought this dehumidifier to replace a DeLongi one that was failing and extremely noisy. It arrived a day earlier than expected and I put it in the bathroom which is a cold dark north facing room. At 11.00 when it went in the bathroom it was 17.2 degrees and the humidity was 99%. I checked on it at 12.30 the temperature was 19.2 and the humidity was 77%. Another look at 6.00pm and the temperature was 21 degrees and humidity was 61%. I had the fan set on the lower setting and the dial was on maximum but I then turned it down to about halfway. It blows out lovely warm air and I really like the louvres on the top which means the air can blow directly upwards or to the front for drying washing.

There's a lot of chatter about how expensive dehumidifiers are to run, but I think there are several things to consider. The fact that the temperature had increased by nearly 4 degrees could mean that the radiator in the bathroom will be turned down once we put the central heating on. The warm air blowing out of the machine will keep the towels dry and mean we won’t need to use the tumble drier as much. The health issues around dampness concern me and given the climate in the UK I expect that people struggling with heating bills could hugely benefit from having a dehumidifier. Not to mention the condensation streaming down the windows in the colder months and black mould forming on the walls and ceiling. £140 well spent in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor repair department, 24 Nov 2012
I purchased two of these dehumidifiers, which I found efficient, but when they broke down I was told I had to pick them up from London, as I am over 70 and disabled I was unable to have them repaired. Unfortunately I purchased two more of these before I knew what a very poor service was provided. Unless you live in the London area I would bypass this dehumidifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dehumidifier I've Used, 6 Dec 2010
We have used various dehumidifiers over the years and this is the best I've found.

Certainly, the desiccant system is a great improvement over the compressor system in the UK climate where you are quite likely to need it to work effectively in cold conditions. We certainly do.

Also I like the "simple" controls. What I need in a dehhumidier is to be able to set the target hunidity and the fan speed which is exactly what this unit does well. We also have a more expensive model of the same basic unit which has more "sophisticated" but far less useful controls. The controls on this unit are simple and flexible so that you can set it up to run as you want.

I like this product. It does the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good machine overshadowed by faults and poor customer service, 17 July 2012
The first machine broke within 2 months. Eco air said they'd pick it up in week and the repairs would take 2-6 weeks. I demanded better and after some persuasion, the machine was picked up within 2days and a new model dropped off at the same time. 5 months later, the machine has now broken...again. The same problem- no more hot air blown out in laundry mode and no water collected in any mode.

While the machine works, it's great. However, there's abosolutely no point in having a good product if it just breaks. Eco Air should recognise this fault and replace the units immediately- not some lengthy collection/repair service which I've now taken 4 days off work in total waiting for pickups and deliveries.

Last time, Eco Air and I agreed that with the first broken unit, I would accept a replacement, but should it happen again I would be given a full refund to buy a more reliable model/brand. This has been completely ignored and I'm now sitting here waiting for the broken unit to be picked up sometime between 9am and 6pm- missing another day of work.

Eco Air- you're product and customer service are terrible. I will completely avoid your company and products from now on and would advise others to do the same.

I'm going to look at De'Longhi for another dehumidifier and buy through someone like John Lewis who give a proper after sales service

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd party praise, 11 Oct 2012
I purchased this unit to put into a rented property. Simplicity of operation was high priority as I can't expect a tenant to grapple with complexity that's not of their choice. My tenant has reported positive results. That's got to be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dehumidifier, 6 Feb 2013
This is very quiet and I would recommend it for anyone wanting a small and discrete unit which has a variable humidity control and quite a large ater carrier, it also has an economy setting for power and extract water from a room very quickly.

I have a large 25ft dining room which is rarely used and it dehumidified it in two days of continuous running on a midway setting..it was so damp before that I was getting mildew around the window side walls.

I am also no using it as a general dehumidifier in the main hall way and it has stopped any windows steaming up downstairs since I plugged it in...I run it on a midway setting and it works brilliantly...I empty it each morning and each evening if it is on a continuous run...also great if there are a lot of people having showers, just plug in near the bathrooms or en-suits and there is no steam build up anywhere!!
I have a largish 4 bed property with 4 downstairs receptions and a large hall...it does the whole downstairs just being in the hall ...compared to the large noisy ugly unit a neighbour has which cost her the earth, this is literally 'a breath of fresh air'...as a side benefit it cuts down on allergens and dust, so win win!

Great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great dehumidifier with a few issues, 8 Sep 2014
Good but heats the room too much, probably ok in the winter when added warmth is a good thing but in the summer it's a killer.

My living room in the summer was at 25C and the humidity was 75%. I turned the dehumidifier on in an attempt to make the room dryer and more comfortable. 30 minutes later my room was at 55% but the temperature was 30C. Basically this isn't good in hot humid environments as it turns the room into an oven.

I measured the consumption and on low it's approx. 330Watts while on high it's 620Watts.

In the house (13' x 13' room) with the door shut this can bring down the humidity down from 70% to 55% in approx. 20 minutes on high or an hour on low. Getting lower than 55% humidity doesn't seem possible, the unit just pumps out heat after that and doesn't collect much additional water.

In my garage this can bring the humidity down from 85% to 70% in about 30 minutes on high and 1.5 hours on low. Getting lower than 70% humidity takes hours, I expect this is because I have a few air leaks in the Garage and it's a cold concrete floor.

There's a nice handle on the water collector draw but you will notice there isn't a straightforward way to poor out the water. Basically you turn the collector upside down and jump out of the way of the wide torrent of water that comes out. The collector draw really does need a re-design in my opinion but it does the job and shouldn't put you off buying.

The large filter on the back states that it kills bacteria on contact, that maybe but the holes in the webbing are visible to the eye so I expect this claim isn't justified. I've seen dust from sweeping be sucked in the back and get fired out the top.

Stability may be an issue for some, this is quite tall and thin and will fall over if you knock it. If you are unlucky and it has collected some water then this would poor out.

Last issue is the fan noise, this started off as silent while on low and the expected whoosh when on high. Now after a couple of months the fan groans while on low and the whole unit has to be tilted slightly to stop that noise. I expect a bush/bearing has warn a little. There is no issue on high, this still sounds the same.

All in all it does a decent job but due to the heat it generates I will probably only use it in the colder months.

Ecoair ECO DD122FW Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier, White