on 22 January 2012
Bought this to replace a dead ARCAM , I thought I would upgrade from my intended AM1 - to an AM5 definitely worth it, only £20 extra . Really clean sound shows how past it the old Arcam was. Very pleased as it does what it says.
I cannot complain about sound at low volume, certainly it punches it out from 12,00 O' Clock onwards.
Even my wife noticed the increased clarity of sound and it copes with all types /styles of music.
For a budget amp with no remote , headphone point, I reckon it is a bargain.
on 26 February 2011
well, i bought this amp after using an old sony reciever which i thought did an ok job. anyway, the sound on the am5 is good, slghtly more clarity in the mid/high range freqencies than the sony. though its rated at 25 watt, i think its plenty loud. and that's my problem....you have to turn the volume up to hear from both speakers!!!!

let me explain. the volume knob is at 7 o'clock when no sound is produced, right. now, turning the amp up between 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock only the left speaker produces sound, while the right is very faint. only after 9 o'clock does the volume pick up on the right channel and things balance out. now your probably thinking i got a faulty unit. NO. apparently cambridge audio know about this "fault" and shrug it off saying to produce this unit (and a few other models) at this price a few components need to be "downgraded". you won't find this information on the cambridge audio website or in the manual you get with your unit. i think this is false advertising of a product.
........to "compensate" for this cambridge audio have added a balance knob, which if adjusted right will smooth out the volume fault at low volumes. (with a bit off experimenting i found out that if i switch the speaker cables around (so left amp channel wire goes to right speaker, right amp channel wire goes to left speaker) the low volume balance problem is fixed BUT you'll have to listen to it reversed, so maybe not...)

also if you want a remote, headphone socket and lcd display you wont get it here, your buying it for the sound quality!!. you do get a front port to plug your mp3 into though.

bottom line.................
i would seriously try before you buy, mainly to hear this at low volumes. don't get me wrong, this is a good quality budget amp but unless you like listening at higher volumes constantly you will need to fiddle around with the balance knob at lower volumes. so a generous 3 stars for sound, build and simplicity.
88 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2012
Well I will start off by saying that its the best looking amp I have ever owned, the finish is very classy looking and looks more expensive than it is. I bought this amp to replace a dead Technics SC-DV 290 system. I now have this amp hooked up to a pair of WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS BLACK (PAIR) and they sound amazing on this amp. I use the amp to play music through an MP3 player and I will admit through a HQ 3 Metre 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs Gold Metal Cable to MP3 it can be a bit a quiet so you have to have it about half volume but that is plenty loud enough. It has adjustable bass and treble which is handy for when you want to fine tune the sound to your preference. I also use this amp to connect to my blu ray player and this is where it really shines, for me with my speakers it sounds amazing, with plenty of bass which is ideal for action movies but not the neighbours. I find that when its connected to a blu ray you only have volume around 1/4 of a full turn and as ive said it sounds incredible. Im using a cheap Pure OFC HQ 2 x RCA Phono Plugs to Plugs Stereo Audio cable which costs £2.18 on Amazon.
Another bonus aswell is the amp does not get hot, I had an old Technics amp which sounded amazing but after 30 minutes use you could use it as a cooker.This amp suffers no such problem I ve played this amp for hours on end and it barely got warm. Also to note this amp is so unbelievably easy to set up and get going and is far easier to hookup to a TV or DVD etc...

The first small negative is that the amp itself can only hook up to a pair of speakers so if you want more than two then look at a different amp, but if you want an amp for a bedroom set up then this could be the amp for you. The second small negative is that there is a lack of remote, not a major issue but can a little annoying, but amps that come with remotes cost a fair bit more money, so maybe I should not moan for the cost of this amp.

Overall its a great amp and if your are unsure go to your local Richersounds and see if they can provide you with a demo. But I think its a quality amp for the money. I will finish by saying that I am not an expert and I am not claiming to be but I have had alot of audio equipment and stereos over the years and this is by far the best I have ever owned.
on 11 March 2013
I bought this amp to replace an elderly Kenwood model & it's been a revelation. Linked it to a Denon CD player & MD 20 speakers ; sound quality is astounding, even on older recordings. Service from Richer Sounds excellent. If you need a new amp I recommend it whole heartedly !
on 17 May 2013
Great product for the price...the cheapest amp I've ever bought.
Matched with AE Evo 3 speakers this amp sounds clear and punchy... Plenty of power without need to adjust tone controls even at low volumes.
Unless you want to pay loads more I would recommend this.
on 25 June 2014
This is an excellent amp for my purposes - I only use the Aux input (for my mixer) and occasionally use the MP3 input on the front - it's plenty loud enough for a converted free-standing single garage.

The sound quality is perfectly acceptable for my vinyl and MP3s and the ability to listen to both without too much messing around was probably the main reason for the purchase as a front MP3 input is still quite a rare feature on amps in this price range.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for a reasonably-priced amp to fill a medium sized room.
on 18 July 2014
having had the cambridgeam 5 amplifierfor abokut five years, i would like to tell every one that this is a top amplifier., dont be put off buy its low price. Pairing it with a decent set of speakers i would sayn.a.wharfedale 9'1 or as i prefer mordaunt short aviano 2 both of these speakers willn.a.give youa great sound. so dont beput off by talk of not enough power it will drive these speakers with ease.
I have just purchased this amplifier recently as its predecessor (a 17 year old Cambridge Audio A1) was starting to show its age.

This is a very basic no-frills amplifier which has no phono output, no headphone socket, no means to connect a cassette deck, no fancy tone controls other than volume, treble, bass, and balance, no means of bi-amping and only able to connect one pair of speakers. You could have all this with other amplifiers for the same money.

Now, for me none of these drawbacks present a problem. Cambridge Audio have instead concentrated on ensuring that the inner workings of the amplifier are of a higher specification than other amplifiers at this price point.

I recall reading a brochure for Quad amplifiers who wrote that their intention was that the amplifier should not change the quality of the inputs in any way. Neutrality is the watchword here. I can say that I have had a very happy weekend listening to FM radio and lots of vinyl (I have a couple of external phono stages that are far better than most stages within integrated amplifiers.

With the radio, I became more conscious of the richness possible in good FM broadcasts and excellent stereo separation. On vinyl, I listened to a recording of Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antartica and was immediately impressed at the fantastic bleakness in the score, something I had not appreciated using other amplifiers.

It is a good looking unit and very nicely finished off. However, I would comment that compared to the chunky 1970s behemoths I like to use, it does feel a little bit plasticky. I guess that there have to be compromises to produce such good sounding stuff at this price point so I can't complain.

Anyway, a big thumbs up from me.
on 16 August 2015
Very good sound handling, the pin ups are limited somewhat as they do not accept plug in speaker cable and I am reluctant to fix with cut ends so use recorder system output, I think I need a decent CD player but for now it runs off DVD, in any case I use headphones and speakers which I can switch off for other people's comfort when the next cable component is delivered. Beautifully presented I could put this and the speakers on a dining room sideboard and it would appear to have been built for their visual purposes Slick solid and an amplifier well made and pin fittings solid for sound stability.
on 3 July 2015
Just got this from Richer sounds. Didn't have any problems with the sound coming out of one speaker only (see 'hmmmm.....' by D. N. Z. AQUINO). Using it to play music from my laptop (not using a DAC), with a couple of really old Warfedale Denton 2XPs. Sounds as nice as as you could ask from old 2XPs (and it sounds better than a modern cheap Technics stack I also have). Treble / Bass controls don't seem to do a huge amount but that's probably the speakers. I'm not a HiFi expert but it looks like a solid bit of gear and sounds nice in my office, and I think is probably good value