4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable and educational read!
I really enjoyed this book. It read very easily, and flowed from topic to topic without confusing the reader or seeming choppy. It's written from a very down-to-earth perspective. I would highly reccomend it to anyone who is just starting out in the Craft, or just wants to know more about Paganism.
Published on 4 Aug 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars It should have been titled "Wiccan Ways"
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by Kathryn Ross

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable and educational read!, 4 Aug 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable and educational read!, 4 Aug 1998
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great beginners book for some one who is interested in witchcraft, 19 Sep 2011
Ameera "Avid Reader and Listener of books in... (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
an excellent book to give you the truth about the world of Pagans and Witchcraft, I hacve read this and many others similar but this one is by far the best for a beginner I find it a helpful reference tool even after being practised Pagan for over 20yrs

2.0 out of 5 stars It should have been titled "Wiccan Ways", 23 Aug 2010
Kathryn Ross (UK) - See all my reviews
I've read a bit about Wicca/Witchcraft and was interested to learn about other types of Paganism so I bought this book but I was disappointed. This book focuses on Wicca and does not mention other types of Paganism at all. Having said that, it is a reasonable introduction for someone new to Wicca, although I found most of it very basic and found myself disagreeing with several minor points the author makes, although I can't recall any specifically now.

It is written in a conversational style and is easy to read, but I didn't like that the author did not reference any particular books, although he does recommend some related books at the end of each chapter.

There were some things I'd never seen before, such as the eight Wiccan virtues, one of which is tolerance, which is tolerance for other Pagans and tolerance for those who aren't Pagan, yet the author tries to use quotes from the Bible to "prove" that Christianity is wrong.

I did like the simple consecration ritual, and the New Moon ritual, although this is firstly given for a group and then re-written for an individual, which seems a bit unnecessary when only a few words need minor alterations (e.g. changing "we" to "I").

Overall, I would not recommend this book, instead if you want a book about different Pagan religions (including Witchcraft) I would recommend Pagan Ways by Pete Jennings, and if you are after an introduction to Wicca I'd recommend The Truth About Witchcraft Today by Scott Cunningham.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter nonsense, 31 July 2001
By A Customer
If this book was intended to show that Pagans are perverted idiots and cranks, then it has achieved its object. But as a serious introductory book it fails to hit the mark. It began by being disappointing - the author starts off by trying to logically undermine Christianity. Then at the end of chapter 1 he gives exercises on the lines of'Imagine you are a Pagan being executed for your beliefs during the inquisition period'. followed by 'now imagine you are a christian being fed to the lions'. I hoped it would get better. By Chapter 4 I'd now been introduced to the concept of gnomes, dyads (an odd spelling for dryad, I presume), undines (water spirits) and salamanders. All Elementals. Plus he's mentioned naked covens and homosexual covens. What puzzles me is that I think it's intended to get people interested in paganism. But it's like writing a book on Roman Catholicism and identifying religious wars, the inquisition and worshipping statues as core features. Had it been the first book I'd read on the subject I'd've run a mile! Not a recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overviev of pagan history, 17 July 1999
By A Customer
This book literally changed my life. My previous Catholic brainwashing was wearing off and I was looking for a new path. I found this book andsince then I've become a better person following a peaceful path.The author doesn't try to convince her readers to become Pagan, but rather shows bolth sides of the coin.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can not speak too highly of this book., 27 Jun 2000
I am just starting with Paganism, and am so glad that this is the first book I picked up. It is excellent! For anyone begining with Paganism, I recommend this as a MUST READ. It gives many details, examples and explanations from all areas of Paganism, yet is not too complicated and doesn't get bogged down with facts. It is great as a first book, and I'm sure that as I get more confident and knowledgeable in the ways of the Old Religion, I will still continue to refer to this book, as its simple and basic style is easily understood, accessable, and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners, 20 May 2014
I love this book. After reading so many that bored me to tears, this one is easy to read, informative without being overly so and the exercises at the end of each chapter help the information sink in as well as helping with personal development. Highly recommended to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Oct 2014
was very happy with purchase, it arrived on time and the book was a great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Pagan Ways, 14 April 2013
A good book for those knew to the pagan path. The book is well written and easy to read. I enjoyed the book