5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 27 Jan. 2011 by Rowhedge

3.0 out of 5 stars MBDTF
Not an overly great fan of the genre, this CD stands out as being at least one of the best. I should give it 3.5 stars, but that's not possible .
Published 8 months ago by Hans Westerlaken

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jan. 2011
Rowhedge (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
I read reviews of this album before I bought it which said that it was a masterpiece - I can't disagree with that. I know that Kanye West can be his own worst enemy sometimes, but this time the boy done good. The stand-out tracks for me are 'Runaway' and 'Gorgeous', but really there are no turkeys here. I have barely stopped listening to it since I got it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm now a fan!, 6 Feb. 2011
Mr. B. White "geordieno1" (walker, Newcastle) - See all my reviews
I'm usually listening to rock and pop but thought I'd try listening to some hip-hop - and so plumped for this album after reading an intriguing review in Mojo magazine.
I can only describe this album as outstandingly bizzare.
It has some quite beautiful passages of music in it and effortlessly floats along track after track.
Gorgeous harmonies, and amongst all the wonderful bass lines a free prog rock sound bite (21st century Schizoid Man) thrown in for good measure which made me chuckle.
I just can't fault this higgledy piggledy album. I love it.
I'm now a fan and intend to buy Mr West's back catalogue.
I recommend this album to everyone, especially rock fans like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars An undeniable masterpiece, 31 Mar. 2012
Kenneth (nottingham, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
It was difficult to keep track of all the hyperbole following the release of this album, with some deeming it the Kid A of the 2010's and others calling it a picasso like masterwork and lets not forget the perfect 10.0 it received from everyones favourite music site pitchfork media. Not being the worlds biggest Kanye fan i was dismisssive of all the hype, assuming the critics had so heavily backed Mr West's pretentiously titled album as an attempt to remain relevant with younger music fans. But that didn't account for the amount of love that was coming from the blogosphere and when my brother (less of a Kanye fan than me) said he'd listened to it and claimed it to be "suprisingy good", i knew i had to take the plunge.

My first spin didn't leave me speechless, but i couldn't deny the obvious quality of the album. The songs were exciting, unpredictable, heck effervescent even, I had a few gripes about some of the audacious orchestral arrangements and some of the lyrical conceit but on the whole i filed it under very good and promptly moved onto listening to nicolas jaar's Space Is Only Noise (the first great record of 2011). A year passed and i revisited a few albums i'd been impressed with but hadn't found the time to immediately listen to again and after playing Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter for the third time i was convinced it was the standout record of 2010. But it suddenly occured to me that i'd overlooked a little known egoist from chicago who's album i'd conveniently chose to avoid listening to since last year, claiming it's excellent production was the only reason i probably enjoyed it in retrospect and i was convinced i wouldn't be dazzled by it a second time round, i enventually played it again a fortnight ago just to make sure ...

Well i've now been officially humbled! it sounded better now than it did when i initially played it, so much so that i had to listen a third time to see just how great it was and the experience was almost magical. The entrancing quiet storm of Devil In A New Dress, the delightful piano motif in Runaway, the collective reverie of Lost In The World, it all sounded great now. No caveats, no disclaimers all the twists and turns featured on this album feel expertly crafted even the Chris Rock skit on blame game feels transcendant. I had to check the personnel kanye enlisted to see who was involved in the making of this daringly ambitious album. I wasn't suprised to see a treasure trove of big name producers behind this RZA, No I.D, Jeff bhasker, but the decision to bring in Bon Iver and Elton John was completely unexpected and wholly inspired.

The highlights were never ending with this beast! Nicki Minaj's schizoid verse on Monster, the gorgeous strings and piano interlude before All Of the Lights, the spoken word poetry of Gil Scott Herron on "Who Will Survive in America". The richness of the tones, the varition in moods make this a thrilling listen from start to finish. If you haven't already realised i'm unashamedly doing one hell of a U-turn on this guy i can't reccommend this album highly enough. I was so impressed by My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy i promptly revisited earlier works like The College Dropout and Late Registration to see if they were much better than i remembered too. They were in case you were wondering, but neither have a patch on this MBDTF. In my opinion it's the undisputed pinnacle of 21st century Hip Hop and it's unlikely to topped by anyone (Kanye included) anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 3 Jan. 2014
Brilliantly packaged, works well and came in very impressive time despite it coming at christmas and from america. Brilliant album! Definitely Kanye west's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixelated Cover, 1 Jun. 2013
Not the real front cover which is a shame. The album and film are perfect but if you want the real front cover showing the pheonix and kanye, then dont buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Mar. 2013
Not many people like the sound of this album on vinyl but i really enjoyed it, the packaging is amazing, although its quite fiddly to get the vinyls out as they slide out from the sides, other than that it is great, you get the interchangeable covers which would look great framed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album with a few stand out tracks, 5 Aug. 2011
A. Greenwood (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
I love hip hop and I've always loved Kanye West. Some of the songs take a couple of listens to really get into but after a few run throughs I soon found myself looking forward to getting back in the car and listening to it!
The stand out tracks for me are Dark Fantasy, Monster and Lost in the world. The latter of which is actually rather moving in a weird way.
Nicky Minaj makes the track 'Monster' really stick out for me, she makes the song what it is and I love it!
The downside to some of the tracks is Kanye Wests HUGE ego overpowering the lyrics. I'm kind of sick of hearing him go on about how he is some kind of God! If only the music wasnt so darn good I would avoid him for that reason!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Twisted Genius, 10 April 2011
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
After watching the 30 or so minute's movie 'Runaway' on youtube recently which was awesome to watch with its hidden story so cleverly told in this amazing colaboration of talent, this CD is the ultimate collection of music covering every human emotion, very cleverly done, Kanye West at his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the wait, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
i am an avid fan and at first wasn't too sure but 2 weeks on love it, yes it is dark and beautiful aswell all i can say is persever with it as i will grow on you the only track i don't like is 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahma ahma let you finish, but Beautiful Dark is the best Kanye West album of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!, 29 Dec. 2010
PeeBee (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Audio CD)
Although West goes to great lengths to make himself incredibly disagreeable, there is no doubting that he is a musical talent of epic proportions. While that talent competes with the size of his ego, his music is audacious and ground-breaking. In My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, West scales new heights by taking a long, hard look at himself. His artistry is apparent and profound in this album because he is facing demons, facing his own self-destructive tendencies and exposing his soul, flaws, rage and all, to us. The pathos may not seem apparent to someone who doesn't get hip-hop, or to those who only hear the bravado, but look deeper - there is pain and suffering. It is this which lifts the album above the immaturity of much hip-hop and the artistic bankruptcy of much of today's pop. While Jay-Z, and before him, the likes of NWA and Public Enemy laid out what it is to grow up and live in black ghettos in the USA, Kanye West takes us on a far more personal, introspective journey, akin to the also brilliant, dark and twisted mind of Eminem.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is chock full of A-list guests and contributors, but this doesn't detract from the quality of the work. Surprisingly, despite the crowd and the extravagant musical arrangements, the album is an incredibly personal affair.

West first came to prominence as a producer, and his production skills and innovation come to the fore of this album. For example, on "Runaway", he takes his time getting to the bit, with a simple, almost painfully slow keyboard intro. After the "radio edit", there is a few minutes of what at first seems like a self-indulgent trip-hop/funk riff outro of a good 2-3 minutes. However, after a few listens, the craft within even this section becomes apparent and indeed enjoyable.

West comes to the album after becoming the poster boy for all that certain sections of the population hate about black music and black people. He made it easy to pick him out for criticism, even if the criticism was unfair, over the top and misdirected. At the time, West was struggling with numerous personal problems, including coping with the death of his mother. While nothing can compensate for that loss, he has used his art to confront his sorrow, his demons, and has made one of the albums of the decade.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a towering achievement of epic and very personal proportions. Bravo, Kanye.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West (Audio CD - 2010)