5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a bright 9 year old
After having read the Hunger Games books by this author myself I thought my bright grandaughter might enjoy something for a younger reader. It was a total success, she loved the book, in fact I think she lived it. I have since bought her the next two in the series. Long may Gregor keep her enthralled!
Published on 1 July 2012 by C. D. Colson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great
I expected something more along the lines of the hunger games, but I got this instead. The book itself, physically was perfect!
Published 9 months ago by David O'Connor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a bright 9 year old, 1 July 2012
C. D. Colson (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 10-yr-old boy loved it!, 11 Jun 2012
My son is 10 and up to now has only really read Beast Quest, which is fine but somewhat limited. We went to see the Hunger Games at the cinema and he loved it! While not yet ready for the Hunger Games books he was very excited about reading something by Suzanne Collins and really took to Gregor.

As a result he has since read the first sequel, has requested the other three books too and has moved on to reading other more challenging (and well-written) books too.

I am delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor the Overlander, 23 Jun 2009
I. Morrill (Coin, Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
I cannot reccommend this book highly enough! My 9 year old son had finished Harry Potter book 7 and we were at a loss as to what to suggest next. We read the first in the series of Artemis Fowl(which is also good) and then began with Gregor. We read some together at bed time and then my son continues alone. The story is so exciting that bedtime reading became after school reading aswell!! A great read for all, can't wait for the next one to arrive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both kids and adults, 5 Jun 2014
As a lover of The Hunger Games, I decided to check out Collins' other work. This series totally blew me away. Despite being pitched towards younger children (perfect for 9-10 year olds) it has all the depth and integrity of The Hunger Games and has even better character development. The plots (in all five books) are thrilling and action-packed, but there are some meaty, though-provoking scenes and a whole range of ethical and moral dilemmas are raised. The characters are brilliantly described (particularly Ripred who I am very fond of) and I simply couldn't put the book down until I had completed their journeys. As with The Hunger Games, Collins doesn't shy away from killing main characters and this gives the stories a depth and maturity that other children's books simply do not tackle. I read the entire series from start to finish in a few weeks and was blown away. As I am a teacher of 8-10 year old children, I then took the books into the classroom and read them to my class. I've never had a reaction like it. Every single child in the class bought the entire series, would read enthusiastically when before they had struggled and would burst into class every morning simply to tell me what had happened in the last chapter.

I adore The Hunger Games but I think I would say that Gregor the Overlander is even better. Simply fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than hunger games, 22 Oct 2013
Adam Jamil "Adam" (Adam) - See all my reviews
I loved hunger games! When i started reading Gregor series I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong book as i didn't think it was my kind of book, well I was totally wrong. I have read all 5 books and have to say they are the best books i have ever read. I will be bored without them, Collins is my new favourite writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor the Overlander, 18 Jun 2014
An excellent book,Suzanne Collins Isn't afraid to describe the bloody happenings in this book,however ensuring that it's germane to the story and not just for the sake of adding Gore to the tale.A good read but not for very young readers.
The Graduate

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 15 Dec 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After surviving a bizarre fall through a gateway to the Underland--conveniently located in the laundry room of their NYC apartment building--eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister Boots discover a world filled with giant talking cockroaches, rats, spiders, and bats. The humans of this formidable world take them in as "guests," but, as Gregor astutely observes, "Guests could leave it they wanted to" (p. 54). Not knowing whom to trust, Gregor flees the palace with Boots, inadvertently igniting the prophesied war between the humans and rats.

Highlighting Gregor's role as the consistently responsible older brother, Collins creates a heroic character for young adult readers even before revealing that Gregor is about to fulfill his destiny as "an Overland Warrior, a Son of the Sun" (p. 109). Yes, there is violence, but not simply for the sake of being violent; Collins's use of violence is appropriate to her story.

Gregor is a great introduction for readers who are new to the fantasy genre. The main characters are human, and are well-grounded in reality--New York City, doing laundry, babysitting, summer camp. Still, there is enough of the fantastic--giant talking animals, gateways into another world, prophecies--to stimulate the imagination and introduce newcomers to fantasy without being overwhelming.

Massachusetts Children's Book Award Honor Book, 2006

Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award, 2006

NAIBA Book of the Year Award, 2004

Reviewed by: Mechele R. Dillard

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspend Judgement..Just read., 17 Jun 2014
I have already given my review as...fab...to the other books in this series. Really folks, suspend judgement and just enjoy, you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in ages, 4 Jun 2014
This is by far the best book I have read in a long time!! Amazing, keeps the reader entertained the whole time.

5.0 out of 5 stars 11 yr reading, 27 April 2014
good for encouraging boys to read that is slightly easier that hunger games, very with it for my nephew pleased

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›