Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 18 November 2015
Oh, this book was soooo good. As with Joan Smith, I'm getting down to the end of Metzger's books and try to weigh out each purchase carefully, having already bought up the ones that had the best reviews. Yes, I do often purchase based on reviews. If none of my favorite reviewers have posted a review, I do the best I can to research out the storyline.

In this book, I found one of my very favorite settings. We have a young lady who has such a drive to help her family out, she finds herself getting into one debacle after another. Yes, her pursuit to make sure her older, beautiful, sister, Winifred, has the very best possible opportunity to make a match with a gentleman who will also be willing to take on the care of Sydney and her "General" grandpa who can no longer speak and must be wheeled around in a chair. He can understand what people say, however, which allows his character to have some fun parts even though he can't talk.

When Viscount Mainwaring (Mayne) rescues Sydney from disreputable moneylenders, he is fascinated by the copper-haired young girl who carries her hair into the stew so she can sell it. When Mayne is so taken with her, he decides to donate 1,000 to her cause, she misunderstands and comes to believe that Mayne is a disreputable aristocrat who has turned to moneylending to make his way. Since she believes him to be a rake, she refuses to let her sister have anything to do with him or is younger brother, even though Mayne could do a lot to bring both young ladies into Society.

This is the type of story I could read all day. A feisty heroine and an older, handsome, "top of the trees" man's man to help Sydney get out of all the various situations in which she finds herself. One drawback, there are some villains that Metzger paints with a kind of slapstick humor which I literally disliked to the point, it nearly ruined the book for me. Some might find their shenanigans humorous. To me, they were a bore and the main reason I'm taking a star away from my review.
on 5 June 2014
It's been a while since I read a book and could laugh. The author pen is magic and she knows how to use it. It might not be historically correct or how people were supposed to behave in that time but the writing flows and keeps you entertained till the end.
on 8 September 1998
Not really her best, but still better than the average Regency. Liked her "Sir Sham" and "Heart on His Sleeve" better, but if you like the Regency with a little humor, this is for you. Let's face it, the deadly serious, bordering on gothic style is not what we want in a Regency!
on 16 March 2013
Definitely funny but not enough of romance. I did laugh out when reading it. I've found with most BM books she is great at humour but lacking in the romance department though not in all her books.
on 7 April 2013
This author gets five stars from me all the time. I've read most of her books and this is did not disappoint. Would recommend!!
on 15 June 2014
Great little romp made me forget the little
slips in period and language. The pace and humour carried it through.
on 29 August 2014
one determined young woman one quiet sister and hansome twin footmen who box what more could you ask for