5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evoke-2S
I'd looked at the Evoke-2 series a couple of years back but we'd got a decent boom-box that still worked well so in true "don't replace it 'till it's bust" style I ignored temptation. Well, it bust and to be honest, I wish it'd expired a bit earlier!
Published on 9 July 2009 by Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars A great radio, but ...
It's a great radio - lovely sound - but ... I'm on my second one now, and it still has problems. The first one wouldn't turn on under battery power (the optional Chargepak). So Amazon sent number 2. This one - wait for it - won't turn OFF under battery power.

Published on 17 April 2009 by I. Wellens

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evoke-2S, 9 July 2009
The Evoke arrived sooner than expected and was up and running in minutes. The result? Loved it. It's neat and unobtrusive, sounds great, goes louder than I'd ever need and has a good display. My wife commented on how good it sounded as soon as she heard it and has found it easy to use.
Personally I'd have liked an aerial socket. It works perfectly from the extending aerial but the rod sticking up spoils the look and I'm sure will one day be responsible for removing one of my eyeballs!
Otherwise great. Only time will tell if it's reliable but so far, so good.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great radio, but ..., 17 April 2009
I. Wellens (UK) - See all my reviews

Here's the good bit. Pure's technical person said that I'd need to download something 'onto my PC' from their site which would fix it. I use a Mac. "Sorry, we don't support Macs". "I don't have a PC, so can you sent me a new radio that works?" "No, because we've solved the problem". "Solved the problem? The problem ISN'T solved - the radio still won't turn off - you just want ME to fix it".

Basically, as I understand it at the end of that conversation, any replacement radio that a retailer might have in stock would suffer from the same issue and would need the fix downloading and installing. So I'm deeply unimpressed. Pure have sold a radio that doesn't work properly. Owners are then expected to fix the problem themselves, and they not only have to have a computer to do it, they have to have one type of computer. I don't know about Pure. I'd say that was Poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Destined to Fail, 12 Feb 2013
I bought this radio for my mum about 3 years ago. It has recently started to turn itself off for variable periods. Pure have been very unhelpful which as a strategy is very short sighted when they are trying to sell a high end product. The radio looks great but it was a replacement for a Russian one my dad picked up on his travels over 35 years ago which was still working fine when we replaced it. If the Soviet Union - not known for the quality of its products - could put something together with a working life ten times longer than Pure can manage that really says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoke-2S, 29 Jan 2009
Great radio.

Plus points: Good sound quality on both DAB and FM, even given low bit rates on DAB, and it will go very loud. The display is clear and smooth-scrolling. DAB sensitivity is extremely good and this is the only DAB radio I have that doesn't need an external aerial for some of the weaker stations. However, it does need the aerial well extended and under kitchen work units this is not always possible. Fortunately, an external aerial can be used with this radio, unlike the Evoke Flow. Low standby power consumption, an option to vary display brightness in standby, very useful alarm settings (weekdays only, for example).

Minus points: One minor annoyance - the claimed 50 presets require scrolling through a list for anything higher than preset number 6. Other radios just require the + button pressed to step up, so for 6 buttons, 1 would become 7, 2 become 8 etc. With this radio you might just as well scroll through the entire list of available stations as it's scarcely slower than using presets and only involves using one control. It's a big enough box to have some room for a few more preset buttons that would have been far more convenient. Minor gripes - a usb or sd card mp3 player would have been nice at this price point and the stepped volume control makes getting the right very low volume level for late night bedside listening a little awkward.

Overall highly recommended.

John

1.0 out of 5 stars Very short life span, don't buy this radio!, 14 Dec 2012
I bought this radio for Mother's day a couple of years ago: I got an email from my mother telling me it had suddenly stopped working. Upon researching this problem online, I found out this has happened to many people and the company that makes them has been very unhelpful. Positive reviews are from customers that have not had the radio for long, but after 2 years you have to be ready to fork out for a new one...

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evoke 2S, 6 Mar 2012
Could only get 1 DAB station - Classic FM (in SW London!!) no matter where in the house, or in which window we put the radio with its portable aerial extended. It found many other stations but reported no signal. We bought the radio for portable use around the house, for which it failed dismally. I guess it would have possibly been OK on a fixed aerial (did not try it) but this was not what we wanted it for. Returned the radio for a full refund as it was not fit for purpose. Bought a Roberts Stream 205 instead which instantly picked up all the DAB stations available throughout the house - a far superior product in my opinion. The Roberts has the advantage of being an Internet radio also (which performs excellently) and the price is similar to the Pure Evoke 2S.

4.0 out of 5 stars PURELY as a DAB radio - very good, 13 Nov 2009
J. Holzmann - See all my reviews
Forget FM: the reception is poor, and, incredibly and annoyingly for a product of this quality, there is no FM external antenna socket.

Otherwise I am very pleased with the build, ease of use, DAB reception and quality of sound - on which PURE have certainly made a good effort. This is a real portable, especially with the separately purchased battery pack. As such its volume output is pretty good, but it will not fill a large room with really loud sound as some non-portables do.

The separately purchased i-10 ipod dock is neatly designed with a handy remote control, and it charges the ipod. But I find the volume output really disappointing - well below the radio output, putting everything on maximum. This is a feature of the dock: if you attach the ipod directly with the audio cable, the volume matches the radio output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evoke 2S BRILLIANT!!!!!!, 15 Aug 2010
If you are looking for a top end DAB radio then this is for you. I thought long and hard before i bought this but i haven't regretted it one bit.
Most radios start to vibrate when the volume is increased. However, not this one! I was supprised with the bass, clarity its weight real quality product superbly finished.
I recommend the rechargable battery pack (not the original too expensive).found a cheaper version (amazon) works as-well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure doing what they do best, 13 Jan 2010
I vowed I would never buy another Pure radio again after a string of problems with their Evoke Flow model. However my elderly mother wanted a wooden radio and I bought her this one. It"s what Pure do best. Simple to use and great sound. Just steer clear of their plastic offerings in the model range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and easy Wireless, 9 Jan 2010
Mr. William J. Cole (Stratford-upon-Avon UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent and easy radio to use, it sets itself up. The only down side is that for this price it is a bit mean not to include a battery pack.