Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 20 November 2013
I read this as background for the FutureLearn free course 'England in the time of Richard III', and couldn't put the book down. Many sleepless nights later, I'm really sad to have come to the end. Well-researched facts woven skilfully into a riveting novel. From my perspective, this is a 5* book.
on 9 December 2013
I really loved this novel and it was interesting to have the Richard III story told from a different angle. Would like to read more by this author and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone, especially fans of this period in history
on 9 November 2012
I really enjoyed this book about Francis Lovell, one of Richard III's close supporter. Of course the story was pro Richard, but still good. It was an interesting thing presenting Richard from Lovell's point of view, without forgetting that Lovell was the main character.

It was nicely written and an easy read, at least for a person like me, with english as a second language.
on 23 August 2014
I enjoyed this story. As with many novels about Richard III, there is a great deal of sympathy for the beleaguered king. The perspective of his great friend Francis Lovell casts a new light on their shared childhood experiences at Middleham Castle in North Yorkshire,which I visited last week on holiday.

unfortunately have just watched the Channel 4 documentary which actually states (not suggests) that Richard was "dissolution" and a hard drinker and glutton.

that's really upset me. contemporary evidence reports that in fact he was slight of build and hardly touched his food at banquets.

Sorry, ranting off topic.
on 19 March 2014
"Lovell, the dog" Sir Francis Lovell to be precise, one of Richard III's premier supporters, this is Francis' story in his own words and well written and well researched. Lovell's final fate has always been a mystery and this book posits a reasonable solution. I would argue that Richard's reign is rushed over a bit too quickly but dramatic license often calls for timings to be altered.
A good read
on 9 October 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It covered the life of Francis Lovell, which not many books do, and it was done very well, I didn't want it to end!
on 29 May 2014
I admit to being a "Richardian" and am aware of Viscount Francis Lovell's place in history.
This was an enjoyable story, well written and fairly well researched.
I would love to read more, White Queen and White Pawn especially but have been unable to find them either in print or e-book. However with the increased interest in RIII I am hopeful they may be reprinted.
on 25 October 2015
I loved this book. Think I've always had a soft spot for Francis Lovell Richard's closest friend, since I read 'The Sunne in Splendour' by Sharon Penman, and I was even more drawn into his life here where the story is told through his eyes. His marriage to Anna was an interesting roller coaster in the times when marriages were arranged and often loveless. But it ended so sadly, I was nearly in tears. What a beautifully told and imaginative story this is, I would recommend it to anyone who loves the Medieval period or the times of Richard III. I'll be looking for another of Fraces Irwin's books now.
on 6 January 2016
I really enjoyed this book. The main character tells the story of Richard 111 from a very different angle from the one we're always known, the one to please the Tudor court. My father would enjoy this too but unfortunately it appears to be only available as a download. I hope this doesn't happen too much I do like to read actual books too. I don't think the two means of reading should become exclusive. But it is a good read.
on 4 March 2014
This same story has been told from so many points of view. The Yorks were so nice and as for those nasty Tudors
Well, this one is from the viewpoint of Francis Lovell......who wasn't just a henchman for Richard the third. An interesting study.
I do wonder, however, if Anna, Francis' wife wasn't right when she tells him to let it go because the country has been at war for so long.