5.0 out of 5 stars From Awkward Tourist to French Cooking Fame!
My Life in France is the most entertaining memoir I've read in 2006! It's a winner.

I first met Julia Child under unusual circumstances. My consulting firm was located down the street from where she got her hair done. Every Friday night, she would be seen peering into the windows to look at our art collection. After a few weeks of this, I walked outside and...
Published on 25 Sep 2006 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as entertaining as the film
I bought this book after watching 'Julie and Julia' in the cinema. As I loved the film I was curious to find out more about Julia Child's life.
This book certainly gives a good insight into her life and you get a real feel of how passionate she was about food. However, this book gets a bit too foody at times, there are only so many descriptions about food she has...
Published on 2 Feb 2010 by A. B.

2.0 out of 5 stars How the other half lived..., 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
The book was well written and contained a lot of funny anecdotes, but I have to admit that I was also a tad annoyed by its frivolity. A large part of the book takes place in post-WWII Europe, and Ms. Child's "culinary adventures" in France contrast sharply with the lives/ reality of millions of normal French people at the time. However, Ms. Child never seems to give this any thought whatsoever, which left a bit of a stale taste behind, at least for me...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable memoir of this famous cook's time in France, 30 May 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
and her falling in love with French food and her journey learning how to cook it.

Frustrating that some of the fascinating photos are not captioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars love Julia!, 26 April 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
great book, inspiring woman would definitely recommend to everyone. The film Julie and Julia was great and made me want the book

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really helped me enjoy my trip to Paris, 8 April 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Kindle Edition)
I had been to Paris a few times many years ago. I know this will be appalling to many, but those experiences left me not loving Paris. In fact, I would have been fine with never going back. Well, last Easter, my family and my sister in laws family went on a joint trip. After many hours of discussion, Paris was the agreed destination. I had to do something about my frame of mind before the trip! This book did it for me. Julia Childs has such a love for France and Paris, I couldn't help get excited about the trip. I ended up loving our trip to Paris. I even visited the Cordon Bleu cooking school just to have a look and ended up buying an apron from them. As an American living abroad for 3 years for work and a foodie myself, I immensely enjoyed this book. Very interesting story about the Childs life. Well written and hard for me to put down. Have recommended to several of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP Julia, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Kindle Edition)
I first became aware of Julia Child in the 1970s as a teenager living in thee States. My friend Charles and I would meet eat our house for a late breakfast and watch The French Chef on PBS. She was very different to the other famous TV chef of those days, Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet. Personally I couldn't stand his slick and smarmy delivery, but Julia was different; awkwardly tall with a weird accent, a bit of Lloyd Grosman perhaps! Her shows weren't that professional, she stumbled over her lines and the cooking occasionally went wrong, but her passion for cooking shone through.
It is still shining through in this book. If you're after recipes look elsewhere, but if you like reading autobiography at its best then look no further. This book gives a fascinating insight into the life of one American who realised that the world doesn't begin or end at US borders! Enjoy and Bon Appetite!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if you like cooking and France, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
Bought the book after watching the film. Quite a good autobiography, but unlikely to appeal to a young audience - baby boomers and older will like the historical aspects of 50s and 60s US/French life/politics, etc

5.0 out of 5 stars halcyon days, 10 Feb 2014
B. L. Rudd "GUITARIST" (FRANCE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
The days of great French cuisine are long gone, I live in France, the French are happy with McDonalds, Pizzas and Kebabs. I enjoyed the book immensely, it has a real feel good factor and is much better than the movie. Julia Childs achievements were commendable and an inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely trip around Paris and the French culture, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Life in France (Kindle Edition)
I borrowed this book from a friend after seeing the film Julie and Julia. I did not really have any expectations and so I was very surprised when I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have now bought it for myself as I wish to read it again. The quirky personality of the author really shines through and just makes for a life-like, entertaining exploration of Paris, France, French people and of course food! It is a hopeful and positive look at life and adjusting to even the most unusual situations. I really recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% consistency in format with this Kindle edition, 20 Dec 2013
An Imbiber (Near Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in France (Kindle Edition)
The content of this book was as I expected and quite OK, as I was interested in Julia Child and her work. I found, however, some aspects of the format in this Kindle edition not entirely satisfactory. I found many chunks of the text changed font size, back and forth, and occasionally some groups of words had no spaces between them, very annoying. If I had bought a paperback edition it would have cost about the same and been consistent in quality. I can't imagine an excuse for what I found in reading this Kindle edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 29 Aug 2013
Mrs. T. M. Brooks (hampshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
I loved the film and story and wanted more. Really interesting book. I would recommend. Lose yourself in a fascinating life.