4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
In the final installment of Lisa McMann's DREAM CATCHER trilogy, Janie finds herself in a dilemma a little closer to home.

Janie receives a phone call that her mother is in the hospital. Once there, she discovers it is not her mother that needs help, but a mysterious man in a coma who seems to be calling to her from his dreams.

By her side is her...
Published on 4 Feb. 2010 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars A Let Down
Published 15 months ago by S. Shamma

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 4 Feb. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone (Wake) (Hardcover)

By her side is her boyfriend, Cabel, who tries to help her as much as he can. When he starts to have terrifying dreams, Janie becomes torn between the love she has for him and what she feels is right to make him happy.

Janie is learning more and more about herself and what a Dream Catcher's life entails. The last book is a conclusion of her final decision of her life ahead, what she needs for herself, and what she wants it to be for her and Cabel.

If you haven't read the first two books of this series, WAKE and FADE, you will be lost throughout the third. A lot of the conversations had and people met are from the others, so I recommend you read them first.

You won't be disappointed - this series is one of the best for Young Adult readers!

Reviewed by: Lesley

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible end to a great trilogy. I was sad to finish this book. The ending wasn't what I expected, it isn't a total HEA but, 19 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gone (Wake) (Paperback)
This series which started with Wake has got better and better. Given that initially I wasn't too keen on it, it was pretty cool to be so excited about this book. I was desperate to know what happened next for Janie. Her future looked pretty glum. There are severe life-changing consequences from being in people's dreams. Although the previous books had horrifying dreams involving inappropriate adult conduct, Janie has far worse dreams when she meets her father. It hurts her to push Cabel and her friends away, but she still does it. Yes, I believed she made a mistake in doing so - but it turned out better than expected. Only by trying to live by one route could she being to figure out where her real place in life is. Captain still plays a big role in the book - I love her! She's the rock that Janie needs. I liked how the theme of living with an alcoholic was approached here - I learnt a lot about it, and how it affects people.

I was tearing up at the end at how sweet it was, how everyone rallied round to help her. I'm secretly hoping there will be another book in the future, just to see what happens next to her. This book taught me a lot. It showed me that even when life is pretty rough, close friends and loved ones will do all it takes to help another out. There may be unpleasant times up ahead, but a little love and hope go a long way to disperse the fear of the unknown. As ever Lisa subtly conveys important life messages in her books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Let Down, 6 April 2014
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone (Wake) (Paperback)
I read this book expecting a lot more than I actually got. Unfortunately, my criticism from Book 2 applies to Book 3. Janie only becomes more selfish during this book, Caleb is being pushed aside as she deals with her problems, and her dreams are getting worse. I was really irritated at how this story moved from being its unique and creative fantasy/paranormal plot to a predictable household drama of a girl who comes from a broken home and a dysfunctional family. Granted, I liked the idea of introducing her father, and I liked it even more as she digs into her background that she discovers he is exactly like her and has chosen to isolate himself from the world. In fact, I think one of the highlights of the book were the brief flashbacks into Janie's mother and father's lives. It shed a little more light into why things are the way they are.

However, I did not like the mother's role one bit. I understand the struggle of raising a child and having your husband disappear on you, I understand the difficulties and that everyone deals with things differently, but for her to be in a complete daze for 3 books in a row...I mean, come on. The mother is completely absent, an alcoholic, and she lets her child run around getting involved in highly dangerous situations. How has no one noticed or notified anyone is beyond me. How Janie has been able to get away with it for so long is beyond me. And how her mother was able to take care of Janie until Janie reached an age where she could care for herself is beyond me. Especially with all the dreaming and collapsing.

This story is strange to say the least - and not in a good way. So many holes in what could have been a great plot. The ending left us with more questions than we started with, and that to me qualifies it to be a less than average effort by Lisa McMann. I am disappointed to say the least. The longer the story went on for, the less I liked Janie - and Caleb to a certain extent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gone... but not forgotten, 10 Oct. 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone (Wake) (Hardcover)
The third part in Lisa's series and one that will have readers guessing until the end as to which way it will go. There's romance, there's drama and above all else there's a build up for the overall story arc that the reader will be kept glued to until the final page. The tale is a great addition to the series and above all else a story that relies on the characters to tell it. Back that up with suitable dialogue and a careful plan of the overall arc and its been a real pleasure to enjoy.

Gone (Wake)