Format: DVDChange

on 30 June 2012
I waited patiently for Thorne to be released onto DVD ... not having access to SKY myself :( and it was well worth the wait ! I liked everything about this drama ... the dark storyline, the acting, the production ... just everything screamed class. David Morrissey gave an outstanding performance as usual, he does angst so well , mind you he does everything well ! But here is the rub ... why after such an outstanding start have no more episodes of Thorne been produced ? A mystery and a great lost opportunity :(
on 4 August 2013
Having read the book of Sleepyhead, I was really looking forward to seeing the dvd. Big mistake, it was based loosely on the novel but that is all, even the killer was a different person. For someone who has not read the book, they will enjoy this dvd, but not me. Haven't yet watched Scaredy Cat as the first one has put me off, but will one day - sometime - I expect.
on 30 December 2013
I haven't read yet the Billingham's novels, but I found Sleepyhead pretty good.
Morrissey is really impressive in this role and I appreciated especially Natascha McElhone.
The story based on flashbacks works very well.
The 2CD package is fine as well as the availability of eng subtitles (I'm not a native speaker).
So, all in all, great job.
on 28 February 2011
After the superb performance by David Morrissey as "Bradley Headstone" in Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend", I wasn't quite sure if I could take Morrissey seriously as DI Thorne in Thorne: Sleepyhead & Scaredy Cat. But I'm glad I took the risk and bought this dvd sight unseen as I could not be sure I'd ever see it broadcast in the U.S. or via BBC America. Once again David Morrissey pulled off an excellent performance as well as the entire acting ensemble who worked together very well together. The screenplays were excellently written & the film production was fabulous!. These stories had me on the edge of my seat especially with respect to the Scaredy Cat episode. I hope to see more Thorne stories on dvd in the future and in the meantime, I'll have to give Mark Billingham's Thorne novels a read.
on 8 July 2014
I enjoyed the DVD's but the books are much, much better. Thorne and Hendricks were nothing like I had imagined them whilst reading the books. Fortunately I read these books quite a long time ago so couldn't remember all of the plot details which was good as I don't think Sleepyhead was quite as the book. still enjoyed both discs though.
on 5 May 2013
I appreciate that there is going to be some dramatisation when a book is translated onto a screen, but in this case it was over the top.

A book has the advantage that it can use more dialogue and explanation to make the plot plausible but that still does not explain why the screenplay of this interpretation was quite so unbelievable!

Thorne comes across as an emotional train crash.

The story lines roughly follow the theme of the books but, but with large variances.

The relationship between Hendricks and Thorne couldn't be much more different and is not convincing. For me, some degree of credibility is needed and I can suspend disbelief with the rest of humanity but this pushes the limits. In the first series the punch up between Thorne and Hendricks was contrived and downright daft.

Thorne frequently speaks to his team as though they'd been scraped off the bottom of his shoe. I assume that the screenwriter was trying to differentiate Thorne as against Morse or Lewis genre etc. But for me it didn't work, he just appears to be a right Wally.

A good example of implausibilty is in Scaredycat where a member of Thorne's team is suspended (I assume) for snorting coke on duty. She then books an automatic out of the evidence room which still has amunition in the magazine (yeah right), then sets off on her tod with this unauthorised firearm to track down a couple of psychotic killers! And for what? To redeem herself!

In the same episode they catch one of the killers who has, by his own admission, killed twice and attempted a third murder. And you don't have to be a Tony Hill or Cracker to see that this guy is more than a couple of bob short of a quid. Then Thorne persuades his boss to let him go so they can use him for bait to track down the other killer! 3 more murders later - including that of a police officer - would have sparked a few more questions from high methinks! It was all rather silly.
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2011
Mark Billingham is my favourite crime author at the moment. The great strength of his writing is that he has created characters which are entirely believable in their behaviour and actions. The cops portrayed in his books speak in exactly the same way as the people I mix with every day. In other words-normal.This has all been changed for the TV. Now, all the lead characters behave like refugees from a bad episode of Eastenders, all shouting and anger.Thorne himself has gone from being a slightly grumpy, flawed, but ultimately good bloke to being a shouty, sweary psycho cop, who`s just as likely to be attacking the victims as the criminals. Hendricks has somehow turned into an angry, bellowing Robin to Thorne`s Batman. He apparently despises Thorne, whereas in the novels he`d invariably be found at Thorne`s flat, sharing a few cans of Stella, a curry and arguing about football. Almost none of these people are likeable, including Thorne`s boss and his colleague, Tughan, who it seems is Thorne`s arch-enemy. Indeed, the only likeable character is family man, Dave Holland, but even he blows it halfway through Scaredy Cat.
Sleepyhead was OK, even though the ending was changed from the book, but ScaredyCat was just ridiculously over the top with all it`s yelling, swearing, coke-snorting and fighting (and that was just the police). Unfortunately, I wouldn`t recommend it to fans of the books.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2014
Having seen the second offering by Thorne & been rivited totally by it ..I bought this for my Father ,then borrowed it back from him.
he loved it ...Its not predicdable like a lot of dramas so that what I liked. at the price Amazon are offering this for its a no brainer not to get it..
on 4 May 2011
I have read all these books and loved all of them. Thorne is a well written character and the books are real page turners. I was delighted to see them made for tv and looked forward to watching them. I was disappointed however. First the sound quality was poor - at one point you are straining to hear the dialogue and the next its gone very loud. Also the choice of casting was not great - especially for Phil Hendricks. If I hadn't read the books it would have been an ok watch but I would be tempted to tell people to stay away from these films if they loved the books. Sorry - I so wanted these to be enjoyable, they could have been so easily but they really weren't.
on 3 July 2014
A good watch, but doesn't keep to the book.. Hendricks is so lovely in the books and is portrayed as an angry, sinister character. Not what we were expecting and was very disappointed with the story line.