5.0 out of 5 stars If You Are Going to Buy a Reel Hose - By This One
Published on 23 May 2009 by Putters

2.0 out of 5 stars Water leaks out of unit
Ordered one of these from Amazon. Good price, much cheaper than local garden centres, and delivered very quickly. Appears well designed and constructed, hose appears to be of good quality. Fitted in to outside wall without any difficulty and then switched the water on. Water started leaking out from the bottom of the main unit almost immediately.

I had a...
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Pete G

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Are Going to Buy a Reel Hose - By This One, 23 May 2009
I was in two minds about whether to purchase this hose and reel or not. It is expensive there is no doubt about that but once you have fitted it to an outside wall it is a dream to use. How much pleasure can you get just from reeling a hose out from the wall and then it slurping it all back into the reel when you have finished? Well if (like me) you have had the normal hose pipe that takes ten minutes of wrestling with it to coil it up when you have finished using it then you will definitely appreciate this automatic hose reel.

Fitting the reel requires a good hammer action drill - I used a professional builders' drill - the instructions are clear enough for anyone to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL WORTH THE MONEY, 8 Jun 2010
C. Bowley (LEEDS) - See all my reviews
I bought the Hozelock Auto Reel from Amazon a few weeks ago, and it is excellent.
I bought it mainly for hosing down my two Springer Spaniels, and it's perfect.
It's very well made, neat and tidy, and very easy to wall mount and the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
Two important things to mention: I'd use bigger screws and plugs when wall mounting it (than the ones supplied with it), as they don't seem heavy duty enough to me.
Also, i couldn't quite get the hang of locking the hose once you pulled it out, what you need to do is pull the hose out of the reel quite firmly, and then wait until it makes a clicking noise, then slowly let the hose jerk-back for a second, and then it locks the hose perfectly every time.
It's an excellent product, and you should also fit a small padlock of the bottom of the wall mounted unit, so that it doesn't get stolen off your wall, if you don't the hose reel just easily lifts off the wall.
Another little tip: buy the Hozelock PRO METAL fittings for it, they are mega-easy to fit, as the plastic ones supplied normally break in winter time, and if you are walking the hose around corners, it may also be worth buying a Hozelock Hose Guide, they are about 10, and are also wall mounted.
I highly recommend this product - 5 STARS.
THANKS FOR READING MY REVIEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Clutter free Hose system, 4 Nov 2008
S. Vora "Simple Guy" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I have bought this system to use in my garden and wash my car.

It works perfect as any hose system would do, the impressive thing is, it is self rewind mechanism. It is fantastic. I have no hose on the floor to trip over and every time I use it within seconds it's back in the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of kit!, 7 May 2011
Absolutely brilliant! I am a keen gardener and watering the plants was previously very time consuming as it took so long to unravel the hose and get it to the end of our 40m garden and then to put it away again. Now it is so easy. The hose is just so easy to use and the garden so much tidier. Also great for car cleaning too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hozelock 2590 30m Auto Rewind Hose Reel (Garden & Outdoors)
Very satisfied. Solidly built and works very effectively indeed. Installation was easier than expected. The screws supplied don't look especially robust, but in fact are more than adequate for the job. I did use my own plugs for the fixings as those supplied were very basic. Otherwise the instructions were all pretty obvious and I had it up and running within an hour. The only problem now will be stopping the kids fighting over playing with it - the reel lock is a nice feature! We were a bit shocked by how big the thing looked when it arrived, but now it is in place it looks just fine and is infinitely better than my shabby old reel and coils of hose lying around the place. The price on Amazon is excellent and definitely worth paying for the product. Was particularly impressed with the delivery too - the courier actually bothered to notify us when they were delivering in advance, giving an hour-long window, which they stuck to. If only it was always like that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but good., 17 May 2011
Excellent product, which does what it says. But don't buy the Aquastop connector which Amazon suggests as well, since it already comes with one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but POOR range of spares and service., 10 Jun 2010
The auto-reel has served me well (I keep ducks and hens and have to hose down regularly and manual rewinding of hoses used to be a major chore).

Hozelock boast a full range of spare parts, but this is simply untrue. Recently the main spring on my reel snapped and rendered the hose useless. This is essentially the most important part of the whole system. When I called hozelock for a replacement I was told it could not be supplied and that it could not be repaired as it was fitted with tamper proof screws. To me, this is like having to buy a new car because the fan belt has broken.
The ONLY spares you can get seem to be simple connectors and rubber seals. I don't think you can even replace the simple ratchet as the instructions are to NEVER open the main casing. (Like buying a car with the bonnet welded down).
I needed a hose urgently and the broken unit was out of warranty, so I had pay for a complete new system and they are not cheap.

I have since disassembled the old unit, repaired the spring and reassembled, ...within a couple of hours.
It now works perfectly, again.... However I have had to heat up, reform and temper the old spring, which is not something for the average user to tackle. If they had been able to supply me with spares, the job would have been much easier and quicker. I would rate the product idea quite highly, but the service and spares would get a low 2 out of 10.
Conclusion: It is not that the reel cannot be repaired, but rather that they will not supply the spare parts and thus force you buy a new reel.
By the way, I suggest that purchasers register the product on the hozelock web-site, to ensure the guarantee, in case the receipt goes missing.

Despite the problems, I would recommend this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Water leaks out of unit, 19 Mar 2012

I had a quick look and thought about taking it apart. The fact that the body panels are held together by torx screws meant I had to go to the garage to find the right size, but then I had second thoughts - why should I bother when Hozelock obviously didn't bother to either build it properly or test it first?

Pity, because as I said it seems to be a decent product if it worked as it is meant to. I would have gone for a replacement but it wasn't available, and I see that Amazon have temporarily withdrawn it because a customer has told them it was not as described, so I'll give it a couple of weeks to see what happens and perhaps try again. It is still available from other retailers on Amazon, but it's a bit more expensive plus no free delivery. I'd rather buy it direct from Amazon anyway because if it needs to go back they pick it up and I don't have to pay for sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great peice of kit, 21 April 2011
its a great machine, does just what it claims to do, wall mounting was easy and the whole package is very sturdy, it makes watering so easy dont know why we didnt buy one years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hozelock Auto Reel, 27 May 2009
What a fantastic piece of kit, it makes a pleasure of spending an hour watering the plants etc knowing you do not have to manually rewind 60 feet of hose back on the reel. There is no hesitation in putting off the task as it is now so simple. Reliable todate, no problems but suggest you use stronger fixings than those supplied!!!. Fathers Day coming up, drop a few hints for a contribution towards something very useful. Thoroughly recommend, well done Hozelock.

ARRAY(0xa69b7060)