5.0 out of 5 stars Cool runnings
I bought this cooling thing as I use my 15"6 laptop mainly when on the bed and it gets really hot on my legs/crotch. I had previously bought the product "Belkin-Cushdesk-Laptop-Cushion" from Amazon but found it made my laptop hotter than the sun.

Published on 22 Mar. 2012 by JTUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Cable too short
Published 8 months ago by Garion

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool runnings, 22 Mar. 2012
JTUK (England, Usually) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin CoolSpot Padded Laptop Cooling Lounge for Laptops up to 17" (Accessory)

I ended up not using it at all and putting my laptop on my bedside table and twisting my body around to use it. I soon got fed up of this so ordered the above product and its cooler than a Jamaican Bob-sleigh team.

Ok, the USB is fairly short, but it reaches all the way to the front of my big laptop so could fit into any USB ports there, but I have one at the back that I plug it into.

Its very quiet and I can barely hear it over the TV / Filth I'm currently watching and if anything the cooling is too good as I now have to put it over my duvet so it doesn't freeze my balls.

Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small & compact laptop cooling tray, 3 Mar. 2013
Small & compact, so it fits in my computer bag, yet it is big enough for my 17 inch widescreen laptop. I had been looking for months for something of quality that would do the job, and this is it. I was so pleased, I bought one for my wife as well. The only possible drawback with all such fan-assisted cooling trays is that you must not put the tray on anything with dust or loose fibres on it (especially carpets) while the fan is running, as this drives fibres towards the air intake on your laptop and can block the internal fan, thus causing the laptop to fail, as happened to my last laptop. My advice is to always unplug the USB lead to the tray-fan if you are putting the laptop & tray down. All this being said, it is a brilliant tray and keeps the laptop cool, thus lengthening the laptop processor's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Lapdesk with a Powered Fan - Using a Laptop just Became that much more Pleasant, 14 Mar. 2015
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This Belkin Cooling Lounge is a comfortable and ergonomically well thought out lap desk, for use when working with your laptop whilst sat down. I use it with a 17 inch Dell laptop.
The lapdesk has a built in fan which sucks cool air inwards, to help stop your lap getting too warm whilst your working or playing on your computer. The underside of the tray has a soft foam filled cushion, which is both supportive and comfortable. It's firm enough that it doesn't sag around your legs, but much more gentle than the underside of your lap top. There's a twin outlet fan in the middle of the desk, approximately 3.25 inches (8 cms) in diameter. The topside of the fan is made of a robust feeling, hard plastic, gently curved downwards towards the centre. This curvature leaves a small gap between the middle of the tray and the underside of your laptop, so that the heat being generated by the computer's battery is blown outwards away from your body by the fan. It works a treat.
You power up the fan by plugging it into the USB socket on your laptop. The lead is built into the tray and is 16 inches (40 cms) long, it's long enough to reach from the lap desk to a USB socket on the left or right hand side of your laptop. The fan switches on as soon as you plug it into your laptop. There's no on-off button so you disconnect the lead to switch off the fan. The noise of the fan is audible, it sounds like very quite tyre noise from a moving car, it doesn't disturb me or my girlfriend. I definite find it a lot more pleasant to use my laptop on my sofa or in bed, especially for extended periods, if it's sat on the lapdesk. Recommended.
Thank you for taking the time to read this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, all working good so far, 25 Sept. 2012
The manufacturers info for the Belkin V2 Laptop Cooling Lounge is a bit thin, so let me start by saying that it measures approx 38cm x 31cm, and is padded underneath suitable for it to sit comfortably on your lap. My laptop is a 17 inch model (Samsung RF712) so I wanted a laptop cooler that would be adequate for the laptop size, and this cooler does the job in that respect.

The fan for the laptop cooler can be heard in a quiet room, but even then is not very obstrusive.

Does it cool? In a word "yes". My evaluation is not very scientific, but prior to using the laptop cooler, when using the laptop to play games I'd been concerned over the laptop temperature - I've had two previous laptops expire from what seems to have been prolonged overheating, so I didn't want this one to go the same way. With no laptop cooler, the laptop case would quickly heat up when playing a game, and over a few hours would get to the point where the laptop's cooling fans were working hard and the case would get hotter and hotter over a larger area. With the laptop cooler, my subjective impression is that the laptop's cooling fans don't work so hard, and whilst the laptop case eventually does get hot, it's nothing like as hot as without the laptop cooler.

Time will tell whether the laptop cooler will help prolong the life of the laptop, but I'm expecting it will based on my experience so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely., 18 Jun. 2014
Firstly there are a few that mention the noise. Its really not that bad.

This unit stopped working after one month, as many others have mentioned.
As an engineer, I looked into what had failed. It's not the fan dying, it's the crap cable
and it's support ball which is causing the problem. I simply cut off the usb plug, split its casing,
trimmed back the cable to find one wire had snapped because of no support at plug. Simply cut the wire,
Twist re-joined cables back together, re insulated with electrical tape. Hey presto, working fine again.
Wouldn't recommend anyone fixing electrical goods unless they are confident of doing a proper job.
Be careful.

So good fan that does the job, but prone to failure due to crap cable quality and connection.
Would recommend making a support on cable at plug to socket so there is no strain on cable.
And I'm sure the fan device will give you years of service. Avoid pulling cable on plug. Always hold plug
and not the cable when plugging in and out of usb socket.

Many people have said their unit has failed and I bet they are mostly because of the wire.
It was generally very easy to fix. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and functionality, 22 Jun. 2011
I've got a 17 inch laptop that likes to generate heat and I needed something versatile enough to keep it cool on the bed, couch or wherever else I use it.

Immediately you notice this Belkin Cooling Lounge is perfectly formed. It's very sturdy on top with cushioning underneath so it's always comfortable to use no matter where you are. If you plug in the usb cable, the fan is quiet enough and does a good job of directing heat away from you and through the air vents.

One slight issue though, I agree with the previous review that the cable may be short if your laptop doesn't have usb ports near the back or screen side. Otherwise it's a quality product in every way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! just one design flaw, 23 Oct. 2012
This cooling pad is great if your laptop fan just isn't good enough when running demanding applications (many aren't), or if on the extreme, like me, the fan is completely dead. The stand is curved to allow airflow, while comfortably fitting many sizes of laptop on, and is much bigger and much more sturdy than the Belkin's previous, all plastic, model. The under-side of this tray is also cushioned, making it very comfortable on your lap, but its sturdy enough to sit on a desk and not wobble or tilt. The only design flaw is the USB power cable. If you use an external USB hub it might not be much of a problem, but if you don't and have to plug it straight into the laptop, the cable is VERY short. It comes out of the back of the tray and if, like mine, your USB ports are on the sides, towards the front, you might really struggle to fit it in. If your USB ports are on the front (i cant think of any laptop where they ARE, but just in case) you will have no chance and will either need an extension cable. It is ONLY just long enough to plug into my Packard Bell Easynote TM97.
It is a shame for what seems such an unnecessary design flaw, as otherwise it is perfect!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cable too short, 26 Oct. 2014
I bought one of these from another retailer, and had to return it as faulty after about 3 weeks. It suffers from a design flaw in that the USB power cable comes out of the back and then has to plug into the USB port on your laptop. If your USB ports are at the side and towards the front of your laptop, then you will find the power cable is just too short! This was the problem I had, and after 3 weeks of persevering, with the cable being quite tight, the cable ended up popping out of the back of the cooling tray and the fans stopped working.

2.0 out of 5 stars USB Cable too short, 2 Sept. 2013
Had to return this item as the USB cable is too short to reach the sockets on the side of my laptop. Very disappointed that the manufacturer would skimp on something as basic as an electrical cable.

The fan was quite noisy and did not cool the laptop any more than my current arrangement, which is sitting the laptop on top of a cake cooling rack!

Would not recommend unless your laptop has USB sockets at the back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spetacular, 21 Jan. 2013
What a chilling machine, but keeps your leg's warm due to the padded back. It looks beautifull on my girlfriend's 15" white Sony Vaio. Tested as well my father's 17" laptop and works just fine with it! the usb cable could be a bit longer but overall i am very pleased with it that i bought a kind of more "manly" version of this for myself.

PS: Check out the cooling pad i bought: ASIN: B007O539H0