Format: Vinyl|Change

I took a risk on this album after I heard a snippet of "That Man" on the radio and loved the sound. I didn't regret it at all. It's a hugely enjoyable album with a 30s and 40s swing sound (and hints of the Andrews Sisters) combined with 2010 production. Caro Emerald is a really good singer and she gives very good material a real sparkle. There is an excellent brass section, a fine keyboard player and terrific rhythm sound from percussion, guitar and double bass, with the addition of a bit of synth and scratching. I'm not a fan of scratching at all, but it isn't obtrusive and works really well here. The overall effect is irresistible from smoky ballads to swing numbers you just can't sit still to.

This was a real departure for me, but I'm delighted that I've discovered it. If in doubt, my advice is to buy it - it's a classy, joyous treat.
33 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2011
Caro has found her own niche. Her sound is unique, her image is quirky and you do get that big band feeling. Well supported by her band, this album has many catchy tunes that you will be singing again and again.
If you get the chance to see her live, go for it. You will be entertained!
on 22 December 2011
Caro emerald suprised us.. a jazzy feel, nostagic of 1920's -1950's in music type but very contempoary at the same time.( we were born after 1950 but still liked it greatly) The great voice of Caro herself is fun and lighthearted. And every track is a song that you can dance to, be it Rumba, Cha cha, Quickstep etc! We loved it and have sent it as Christmas too.We expect 'Strictly come dancing' to use her tracks once they are well known - she has already sung for the programme.
on 28 January 2011
This is just a little addition to Amazon's lack of detail for this item:

2 x 180g vinyl LP's
1 x CD of the album is included as well

The tracks are as follows:

Side A

Side D

I Know That He's Mine
2. A Night Like This
3. The Lipstick On his Collar

To sum it up, this is a beautifully packaged vinyl album and very good quality too. not only do you get the 2 x 180g vinyls but you do also get the CD as well too, so no need to buy an additional copy of the CD if you don't want to.
on 7 March 2011
Having worked for a Dutch company for many years I have a great love of the country and its people. However, I've never thought of it as a source of great music, an opinion reinforced by Mouth & Macneal, the Vengaboys and others! This album deserves all its plaudits from other reviewers and it has been a delight to discover it and also a very lively Dutch music scene. My ear was first caught by 'A Night Like This' a really catchy jazz/pop tune. My research took me to You Tube where there are excellent videos of this and a number of other tracks from the album. I suggest you see and hear them for yourself. The big surprise was that 'Caro Emerald' is in fact Caroline Esmeralda van der Leeuw from Holland. Nothing wrong with that of course! Part of me hopes she gets a wider European and world success while part of me delights in surprising other people with her great music. If you've stumbled on this review you can buy the album and share a 'secret' musical gem - in the UK at least. She's extremely famous in the Netherlands!
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2011
Criticisms first:
The scratching and electronic repeats are a strange production choice and seem out of place with the arrangements. I do find them jarring although they grate less on me after a few listens than they did to begin with.
Lyrically the album is very monotonous. The theme of practically every track is hordes of men who are, are assumed to be or just damn-well ought to be falling over themselves for the singers' attention.

I like the tunes though, Emerald's voice is fantastic and I find myself listening to this quite a bit, even though I bought it for my wife. Stuff I buy for myself tends to be downbeat more often than not but I actually really like the bouncy energy of a lot of these songs.

One more thing: This was recommended for my wife by Amazon on the grounds she likes Rumer. I don't see the similarity and - even though she and I like both - you might not necessarily. If I had to pick something similar (from our collection anyway) I'd say this album has a lot more in common with Imelda May than Rumer.
on 22 April 2010
Listening to this music makes you all sheerfull.
Lovely music with instruments you can recognize.
Music can be fun.
Let summer come!
A mix of jazz with some funky effects. Beautiful voice.
I really recommend "Back it up" and "A night like this".
A Dutch product to be proud of.
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2011
If you are a big Caro Emerald fan, this CD/DVD may be worth getting, but it doesn't compare to the live CD/DVD/blueray set Live in Concert with the Grandmono Orchestra. (Available from her website.) That DVD is excellent, and also includes the concert on CD as well.

Personally, I don't like the 3 remixes. The first two songs on the DVD are probably the best thing on the DVD, but these are from the above DVD anyway. The five songs from the club tour, are fine, but don't compare with the Live in Concert DVD. (It includes backstage footage if that appeals to anyone.) And then it just includes the two music videos for a night like this and back it up. (You can find these on youtube if you want to see what you are getting.)

So I'd advise getting the much cheaper CD of the album, and then the Live Concert 3 disc edition. (Or even just get the concert, as I think the live performances are generally better than the album recordings anyway).
on 15 April 2013
basically one of the best female singers EVER. this album is easily the best music I have heard in the last 10 years, probably even longer. you won't regret buying this!!!
on 12 April 2010
This is the first album from a new dutch star.
It was released 29-1-2010 and stayed 8 weeks in a row number one on the album charts.
At the moment of writing this review it is still number one and has sold more than 50.000 cds(platina).
It contains the song back it up which was the most played song in the year 2009 on the dutch radiochannel 3fm.
Also part of the album is a night like this which was used by martini for a commercial on the internet.
This track was number one on the dutch singles charts; and is 4 months numer one on dutch download charts.
Very popular on the internet is her cover from lady GaGA bad romance(not a part of this album)
This artist is clearly inspired by jazz from the forties and fifties.
Movies from that time are also part of the inspiration.
Nice voice; catchy melodies and a scratching dj on the album.
Try this album