4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed hero who comes to terms with his past.
Published on 6 Feb. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it!
Published on 26 Nov. 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed hero who comes to terms with his past., 6 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Vixen (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike many stories in this genre this hero is not the typical strong macho type, but if you have read Violet you will recognize him as the captain in that story. Some readers may be upset by the crypt and all that goes on in there and the fact that the hero resorts to brandy to drown his memories and those "painted devils". However, there is historical accuracy in the setting, as the crypt and its rituals are somewhat similar to the actual Hell Fire Club which flourished in England at that time for many years, but the results of the depravities are not the subject of novels in this genre. Granted the hero's ethics do not bear close examination, but neither character is written as a paragon of virtue. Not the usual gentle drawing room romance, but an interesting concept for those looking for a setting that is a little different.

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed hero who comes to terms with his past., 6 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Vixen (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike many stories in this genre this hero is not the typical strong macho type, but if you have read Violet you will recognize him as the captain in that story. Some readers may be upset by the crypt and all that goes on in there and the fact that the hero resorts to brandy to drown his memories and those "painted devils". However, there is historical accuracy in the setting, as the crypt and its rituals are somewhat similar to the actual Hell Fire Club which flourished in England at that time for many years, but the results of the depravities committed there are not the subject of novels in this genre. Granted the hero's ethics do not bear close examination, but neither character is written as a paragon of virtue. Not the usual gentle drawing room romance, but an interesting concept for those looking for a setting that is a little different.

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it!, 26 Nov. 1998
This review is from: Vixen (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike the other reviewer, I liked this book. It did not bother me that he slept with her while trying to marry her off since we were to believe that he loved her at that point. It bothered me more that he slept with her in the first place. He wasn't that drunk! And she was half his age. It also bothered me that he was never honest about his past until he had to be and then she was not even upset! I also find it depressing to read about alcoholics. But for some reason I liked the book enough to give Ms Feather another chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this book at all, 6 Nov. 1998
This review is from: Vixen (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was really awful. I did not like the heroine nor the hero. How can he sleep with her constantly while planning to marry her off? And how can she permit him to treat her that way? I felt that both the characters were weak and dislikeable. Very dissatisfying. I've read one of her other books before and I was disappointed but then I decided to give her another chance and was disappointed again. I won't buy another one.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book to borrow, not buy, 6 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Vixen (Mass Market Paperback)
What I liked about this book was the fact that the hero did not have a title, and therefore not many funds. What I did not like was that he was an alcoholic. Why must the poor man always be a junky? He disgusted me, but the persistence of the heroine kept me reading it until the end.

Vixen