5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled with charm, intelligence, and CRIME.
Published on 17 Feb 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and classy
No wonder Christie was, and has remained, so incredibly popular. This is the first of her books I have read, and it delivered exactly what I expected. A murder seemingly impossible to solve which is then untangled using crystal clear logic. It is classy and clever without being so convoluted and complicated to be outside the grasp of the reader.

The other thing...
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Book 1981

5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled with charm, intelligence, and CRIME., 17 Feb 1998
By A Customer
A crime has just been committed, and it is up to Agatha Christie's renowned detective, Mr. Poirot, to solve this one. This time the victim is a passenger on the Orient Express, a famouse early twentieth century passenger train. By coincidence, Mr. Poirot ia also traveling on the Orient Express, and quickly takes on the task of finding the killer. His task, however, is not an easy one, because, as he digs deeper into the case, he finds some suspicous information concerning the victim and his fellow passengers. The Murder on the Orient Express is one of Agatha Christie's truely excellent novels. Agatha Christie uses her innate talent for writing to develop some wonderful characters. My favorite, Mr. Poirot, has such class and intelligenge. He uses his charm to his advantage in solving the case. The reason I enjoyed this book so much is, it was written so that I could speculate on who committed the crime, however when the criminal was revealed to me I was in shock. The case seemed so complicated, yet it was really quite simple. I am very much looking forward to reading more of Agatha Christie's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional paradigm in the genre of murder fiction, 30 Dec 2001
As my eyes couldn't run across the page fast enough I was begging with my housemates to reveal the impossible ending that was coming towards me like the express train itself.
Luckily they didn't. There are few books that make one speechless after reading them but this was mine, though after my initial awe I bleated my admiration of the author to everybody I met.
Although I am normally only a fan of Miss Marple in Agatha Christie's works, she weaves her wand of compassion over Poirot and the passengers of the train, allowing the fabric of reality to settle around a moral conclusion which grips you and pulls you until the last.
Although a relatively young reader I appreciated it with memorable vigour. Make sure you have a spare day because it will not leave your sight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 23 Feb 2006
Mr. R. Van Schelven "Ries" (Leidschendam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The talents of Mr. Suchet are amazing. He just reads the Hercule Poirot books as he plays them. He has many different voices for all the different characters. You never get tired of listening to his voice! I can highly recommend all the Poirot books read by David Suchet(I have them all)!! A 5 star plus! I hope he will read many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mysteries ever written--seriously!, 28 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This beautifully crafted murder mystery ranks among Agatha Christie's finest. The dapper Belgian detective finds himself investigating the murder of an American businessman on board the Simplon Orient Express. The death occurs in a a manner that implicates one of the twelve passengers in the Stamboul-Calais coach. Poirot carefully interviews the suspects, all of whom have cast-iron alibis. The case appears impossible to solve, until Poirot, using nothing but his wits and a few tiny, seemingly insignificant clues (including a monogrammed handkerchief, a pipe-cleaner, and a Hungarian passport), assembles one of his most brilliant explanations.
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS is not just another Agatha Christie book. The plotting is as skillful and ingenious as her best, filled with even more baffling twists and turns than usual. This novel has even more to offer, however: a delightful international cast of characters, an entertaining train setting, and gripping suspense. This is edge-of-your-seat reading from the world's foremost mystery writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 16 Oct 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This novel is widely feted as Christies masterpiece, due to the fact it is the most dramatised, but it does not comapre to 'The ABC murders' or 'And Then There Were None', or even 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyed', that said it is one of the most devious. If anyone solves this murder before the conclusion (and without prior knowledge) I would be very surprised, and essentially that is what we want from Christie, a conclusion that is a complete revelation.

At first, I must admit, the conclusion seemed very far fetched, but then one goes away and considers it is not really so, and that the cryptic clues were all in fact directing us to the truth.

The thing I love about Christie, apart from her undeniable geniues, is her style. I mean, it is so easy to read. Her descriptions are so cursory they essentially allow our imaginations to roam, and everyone will have a different mental image of scenery and events. The characters are very much of their era, and very quaint.

If you want a true puzzle, if you love Christie, or even if not, this is essential reading. The clues are all there for the reader, but if you piece them together and breach Christies twist (I term it as such, because all her novels essentially contain a twist, that if you can see through it the story falls into place), you will adore this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 May 2011
Martin Corley - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Agatha Christie ever since I saw "Death on the Nile" on TV. I bought this fascimile edition of "Murder on the Orient Express" with the fascimile edition of "Death on thye Nile", and I have to say... they are wonderful! It feels like you are holding a first edition! It even has an ad for the Crime Club, with the enrolment voucher! Even the faded letters! And the story was very inventive, with a VERY surpsising ending! Read the book before you see the film! And buy this edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed, 1 Nov 2010
Simon Payne - See all my reviews
I loved it. But quite clearly, you have to like vintage who-done-its in order to love any Agatha Christie story - certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

And with David Suchet as speaker - perfect bliss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder in style, 11 April 2007
sam hrt (Lancs, England, Uk) - See all my reviews
The first Agatha Christie book I've ever read. WOW. Amazing. I think she hypnotized me. I couldn't put this book down! Everything about the book was great, the characters, the plot lines, I was extremely sad to learn about the incident/tragedy that started all the plotting though. Poirot was hilarious as he was so blunt at times. I am definitely going to read more of her books. Bring on the mysteries!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The original murder mystery weekend, 13 April 2012
Stephen Hudson "Steve Hudson" (Keynsham) - See all my reviews
This is a classic, archetypal murder mystery. The detective, Poirot, happens by chance to be aboard a train on which a murder is committed. The train, also by chance, is the Orient Express, a byword for romantic opulence. As the murder is discovered, the train becomes trapped by heavy snow deep in the Balkan mountains.

It's a stripped down, perfect setting. No external parties can interfer with the scenario. No-one can escape. Poirot can take his time, interview everyone, examine the evidence, and draw his conclusions. Perfect evocation of a place in time - a haiku of a murder mystery.

The clues are baffling - they contradict each other, and each suspect can be shown to be innocent. Poirot is a less cartoonish figure than the film version I was familiar with, more believable and impressive. The murder, of a man who richly deserved to die, is satisfyingly brutal and pitiless.

I guessed the solution, probably from dim memories of the film, but that didn't spoil it for me. This is the first Agatha Christie I have read, and I thought it extremely seductive and atmospheric. There is a delicious sense of the train being a warm, cosy womb in the midst of the freezing cold, in which we can lounge in comfort while food, drink, and justice are served. There is also plenty of sly humour in the telling, too, which was a bit of a surprise for me.

Definitely recommended - I really enjoyed this 200-page period piece, far more than I thought I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christie, 28 April 2001
This legendary classic shows Christie at the top of her powers - ranking with THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD, DEATH ON THE NILE, MURDER IS EASY, and TOWARDS ZERO as the best of her books. The ingredients - the glamorous setting of the Orient Express (the magic inspired by the words "The Orient Express had started on its three-days' journey across Europe"), the splendid gallery of gargoyles, the monstrous nature of the victim, Poirot's detection (his search of the room; the serial interviewing; and the serial unmasking of the connections to the Armstrong kidnapping case), and the final revelation of a solution utterly surprising yet without straining belief too much - could not be improved upon. Masterpiece.

Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot)
1.99