Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

on 1 May 2012
Having owned a couple of tripods before that were in similar price bracket to this, I was amazed at the value for money for this item.
It does every thing that is required. OK it may not just have the ultimate stability of a pro tripod but it is a fraction of the cost and much more portable. The ball head is very smooth and everything locks up with a very satisfying feel.
I cannot fault it and if you want a tripod for enthusiast photography look no further!
on 8 February 2015
After having read great reviews for this tripod, I decided to buy it. It is indeed a fantastic price for a tripod that can hold up to 5 kg weight. However, I noticed that the top of the tripod (the part where the ball is placed) is not steady and moves slightly when you press it. It made it very difficult to fixate the camera with heavy lens properly to a certain position for a correct frame. This was probably just a manufacture fault with my item only. I had to return it. In addition, although the ball head might be very handy with its 360 degree rotation, I found it very difficult to regulate, because when you loosen it to adjust your camera, it becomes very loose and gets out of control, and you have to find a correct position again. The seller was very nice and allowed to return it with refund after more than 6 months, so I will give 3 stars.
on 29 December 2013
I purchased this tripod to support my photography when attempting to take long exposure photos. The tripod just about holds my Canon 7D and 24-70 2.8 L lens.

The quality of the tripod is OK - it's not as awful as the ones you pick up in high-street catalogue stores, but it's not the best build. The leg fasteners are made of plastic and the head has a tendency to be a bit wobbly on the tripod.

It's nothing compared to a more expensive Manfrotto, but I wasn't expecting it to be. I didn't want to pay lots of money for a tripod as I don't use them that often, but after having cheap tripods from stores such as Argos, I knew how useless they can be!

This is an affordable tripod for occasional light use.
on 29 May 2013
First of all, I'm a beginner in photography. I have a Nikon D3000 with the 18-55 kit lens and also a 55-200. They have rhoughly the same size and weight.

This tripod holds my camera nicely, and I haven't had a problem with it since.
It is not the most sturdy tripod in the world, and I think it won't hold a big heavy lens.
Also, I didn't test yet in in the "wild", with sand, dirt, rain, snow, whatever. I just did some regular city/landscape photography.

The quality seems good, it does not feel cheap. It is really tall (I'm 1.84m tall), but it loses some stability when the center column is raised. The legs and the ball-head work nicely.

I wouldn't recommend a tripod that is lighter than this one, because you need it to be steady in windy situations. So 1.5kg is a minimum for me. However, there's a hook in the lower end of the center column that is very useful for hanging your gear (coat, backpack, whatever) and also for adding some extra weight/stability to the tripod. I seems to really help.

I gave it 4 stars because I could have spent 150 quid and gotten a better one, but at this price, this one really delivers.

One last tip: before buying a tripod, go to your local photography shop and see some of them by yourself. Lift them, fold them, see how tall they get. Experiment with the different head types (ball-head, pan&tilt, pistol-head) and see which one you like.

A lot of people have told me that I should invest in a higher-end tripod, because that's what I'll probably be buying a couple years from now. Although this is good advice, I really don't have 150 quid to spend on a tripod, and I'm not even sure I will have time/dedication to do a more serious kind of phoography that would require a better tripod.

But I can tell you this: more advanced photography will DEFINITELY require a better tripod. If you know your needs, choosing a tripod is a lot easier.
on 2 April 2013
Pros:
* Excellently described in the video and on the web, so you get a good "feel" before you click "order" (this matters to people like me who live miles from nowhere)
* Quick and easy to use (obviously you have to practice and get used to its little foibles, such as the quick release, at home - not when you're out and about, that seems like common sense)
* Ball head works well for DSLR, about right for "stiffness" levels, and reasonable quality
* Just about the right balance of small size and light-weight vs. stability for people like me who are mostly outdoors and moving about (in practice I tend to only use three of the four leg sections wherever possible - this obviously makes it lower, but also very stable)
* Easy and robust-ish hook for camera bag or bag of stones to increase weight in wind etc. (thought I'd mention this as it is not 100% clear from the photos that there is a weight hook - there is)
* Good Value
* Comes from Ireland

Cons:
* The 5kg max load is nonsense. With just a DSLR + medium zoom (under two kilos but a bit front-heavy) you still have to allow for a bit of a "drop" when composing or use a bit more force than I would like when tightening the ball head. On this basis I would never buy the Triad 30 Lite which claims a 4kg max load - just a thought for anyone comparing.
* The free bag is useless - too tight and flimsy for practical use. Luckily I have spares from old and knackered tripods that take it perfectly.

Bearing in mind the price and what others try and sell for that ... it's 5 stars

PS - I have seen other reviews complain that it is no use for panning video, well I expect they're right. I use it for fixed video, no problems, but for moving would use a tilt/pan rather than ball head.
on 9 January 2013
Being over 6ft tall I needed a tripod that at least came up to my chest....this one does!

I was very impressed with the quality of this tripod, the whole things feels very solid even when the tripod is extended to its fullest height. I did read a review somewhere where someone said something along the lines of while taking pictures on a hill over the sea on a windy day the tripod wobbled a bit.....well I would suggest sitting your camera on a brick wall then because I don't this for the price you will get a more solid piece of kit.

It did take a litle while to get use to the "lock in system" having been use to the conventional tripod "controls" in the past, but soon mastered it and actually found it allowed me to be a lot quicker in getting the camera pointing where I wanted it to point. The locking control locks everthing solid in 1/4 of a turn. I couldn't believe it at first and kept hold of my camera "just in case", but I need not have worried.

I found that if the tripod is set up so the locking control is operated by my left hand I can keep hold of the camera with my right hand ready to to pictures as I move the camera round......but you will find you own preferences so far as this is concerned.

The 360 head is fantastic and allows the camera to be tipped/tilted to any angle imaginable.

Great being about to reverse the central column allowing the camera when reversed to almost touch the ground. The feature of the legs being individually angled at any position and locked in 4 different angles (25°/ 45° / 75° and 135°) is amazing and allows all manner of positioning.

The panning is superb, very smooth and with markings on the tripod easy to get great panoramic shots.

Highly recommended
on 21 September 2012
Received this item extremely quickly, well packaged both by seller and amazon. Wanted a compact tripod that would be easy to take with me. This one gives me all that I need and has a natty carry bag. I also wanted a ball head with a QR plate, adjustable legs (both length & angle) and the ability to either reverse the centre column or attach a second head at the opposite end (see my review for Hahnel ball head). This tripod has given me all that and despite having 4 section legs, remains stable even with my quite heavy dslr fixed to it. The plus to 4 section legs is that the tripod closes down quite small for carrying and gives a wide range of leg length adjustment. Seperate pan feature allows 360 degree movement, whilst ball head takes you everywhere you need in terms of camera positioning. Looks & feels very well made, solid & nicely finished. I am only an ameteur and have never owned top end equipment so cannot compare and I am not trying to do that with this review, however, I personally feel that I have purchased a great item and would recommend to others where cost is a consideration. Certainly don't feel that I have made a purchase that will be confined to the loft as unsuitable for use. Thanks Amazon!
on 26 May 2013
This Hahnel tripod is probably the best you'll get new at under £50,and that is largely down to the £30 Ball Head, which is way above average at this budget end of the market. However.......I struggle to get carried away by some of the glowing 5 star reviews about quality?. I have a Manfrotto MKC3-H01 compact travel tripod which cost about the same as the Hahnel Triad 40 ( It's obviously smaller, lighter and less rigid but great for strapping on the side of a rucksack all day long ) but the quality of finish is in a different league. The plastic mouldings on the leg connections and the plastic leg clips are just so smooth and tough on the Manfrotto, the Hahnels look and work okay but feel cheap and badly finished. The Manfrotto paintwork is smooth, even and durable .The Hahnel even from new has paintbrush touch up marks on one leg where it's obviously got scratched and has been 'rectified' at the factory. I don't expect the Hahnel to cope with knocks and bangs without looking very second hand quite quickly, whereas the Manfrotto has already been on numerous muddy, rocky expeditions and is unmarked and wipes down to look like new. Finally, and being really picky, the little colour booklet/label that comes attached to the Hahnel has several very sloppy typos ( 'Spirit eve' instead of 'Level' is one example ).
All these little things add up to a sense that quality control is a bit er.....casual? .If you can't be arsed to get basic spelling right in your product label, and you think hand painting black paint on a scratched leg is acceptable it doesn't have me brimming with confidence about the longevity of this tripod?. If I could be bothered I'd send it back for a replacement but I expect it will have a new set of scratches all its own after a few fieldtrips, so not much point really, and takes me back to the start of this review, which is that despite all of the above, unless you are prepared to spend twice the amount this is likely the best mid weight, budget tripod at under £50 you'll find.
on 19 February 2012
Looked around one or two sites for tripod to suite my needs read the reviews on Amazon regarding this tripod Triad 40 Lite it was just what I was looking for the 360 lock in system works a treat, fully adjustable legs and the function for reversing allowing you place your camera underneath for macro shots is very useful comes complete with carry case
overall this tripod is very sturdy made from alloy and is fairly light compared to some I've tried don't think you can go far wrong for the money most places you would pay as much if not more just for the 360 ball head fitment?
on 3 September 2013
I have been using this tripod for about a year & found it reliable & suitable for all conditions i have yet come across, unfortunately returning from a recent trip i found that the screw component used to lock the ball head had been lost. I e mailed the hahnel website & after giving details of the lost component they sent a replacement quickly and without charge. Customer service is fantastic & should you be considering a general purpose tripod,purchase with confidence.