mophie juice pack air for iPhone 4s/4 (1,500mAh) - Black
Colour Name: BlackChange
Price:£36.70+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 April 2011
I bought this in November 2010 because of the pretty bad battery life of the iphone 4 on its own. The Mophie is well packaged and fits the phone like a glove with a removable upper section to allow the phone to slide in. It has a nice 'feel' to it and does not make the 'phone too big and bulky. Charging the unit is via a micro USB connection on the side and this is where the problems start! I use the Mophie permanently i.e. I do not use the 'phone without it.

The socket for the USB connector is set into a plastic 'trim'at the bootom right hand side of the case. The trim appears to be very thin around the edge of the socket. What has happened in the last 5 months that I have had the phone case and with the regular connection and disconnection of a USB lead into it's socket is that the trim has snapped around the USB socket and is coming away from the case in its entirety!

So, I would ask people before buying this to think carefully as to how many times they are going to use the Mophie. If it's just as a backup for holidays etc then fine. But, if you want to use it as a permanent attachement to the phone with at least daily connection and re-connection of the USB lead then think twice before buying!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 January 2012
Looks good, great concept but build quality is poor.

Like many buyers the problem is the USB charging interface is the weak spot. After only a few weeks use it became difficult to connect and then just 'broke' in my infinate wisdom I took it apart and that is where the problem was exposed. It is solderd to the out casing by the flimsiest connector and therefore will take very little , or few, in/out connections.

Avoid until they redesign USB interface
on 26 June 2012
I unwittingly bought from Chainstore Massacre, and they sent me a COUNTERFEIT

This is not a genuine JuicePack Air. I have compared it directly with a real one in an Apple Store, and there are clear differences. I think this explains the wildly varying reviews of this product here - the good reviews are for genuine product, the rest are from people who ended up with counterfeits.

* The case is made of flimsy plastic, that does not fit together very well.
* The switch is different in shape and size, and painted badly.
* The indicator lights actually shine through the casing plastic (it's that thin)
* You can see the (small) size of the battery if you hold it up to the light. The battery only charges about 50% of an iPhone, instead of the full 100%
* It only weighs 2.1oz instead of 2.5oz for a genuine one.
* It is packaged face up, instead of face down like a real one
* It gets very hot when charging the phone

The packaging is almost identical - you would not spot this difference if it were on a shop shelf, but you are wasting your money buying from here.

Really, I'm astonished that Amazon allow this kind of thing to be sold on their website - selling counterfeit goods is a criminal offence in the UK.

Any JuicePack Air sold on here for less than about £50 is most likely counterfeit - and even then I wouldn't trust any seller I wasn't 100% familiar with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 November 2012
I received the Mophie juice pack air for my birthday in May. I loved the design and the additional battery life that it gave my iPhone (I'm a heavy phone and data user).

After 3-4 months the extra battery drains after about an hour and as such it is little use - a shame for a product with such clear potential.

I contacted Mophie explaining the problem and have not even received the courtesy of a reply. If you are happy to write off your £50 after 3 months, go ahead and buy, otherwise DO NOT BUY.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the much-vaunted Mophie Juice air pack for iphone 4, there's so many youTube clips showing it as the beesknees. Well, its surprisingly badly made, the two halves fitting with a marked step which catches on my pocket edge and the ridge makes it feel weird in the hand. The micro-usb port is extremely weak, and mine broke after I had it 3 months. I was only charging it at home every 5-6 days or so when I needed it for extra power eg for a weekend on call or away.
Also, it doesn't charge if the iphone is docked into it. I have to remove it from the iphone to charge it. The iphone charges easily from it, and from the mains as pass-through but the juice pack will only charge if it is separated from the iPhone. Not good.
IMO, this Mophie is significantly inferior to the new Mili 2000mAh Powerspring 4, btw please don't believe the comments about the Mili not closing properly the Mili powerspring 4 is a perfect fit, clips shut perfectly and reliably, extremely durable, and is beautifully made and packaged. Maybe the adverse comments are about an older version of the Mili?? My wife and I each have a Mili now, and I'm still waiting for the warranty claim from Mophie to be acknowledged. I would advise anyone interested in this Mophie to really take care to examine the competition products carefully and check on user's experiences of warranty claims with each product.
on 17 February 2012
It's a lifesave when you're out and run out of battery. I carry it around in my bag or pocket and put the juice pack on when my battery runs low.

The design of the white isnt very nice. The back is shiney plastic, unlike the black and red which have a rubbery feel. also the band around the outside snapped at the charging slot. A bit of superglue has held it together but its bad place to put the charging slot, right on the corner.

The other problem is that this is the old version designed for iPhone 4. I does work with 4S but because the put button is in a slightly different place, part of the juice pack case covers it... It still works but its not Ideal.
on 1 March 2011
Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This may not look the nicest, nor may it give the most protection, but if you're unsure if the battery on the iPhone 4 is going to be sufficient for your needs, this is definitely a well-worth investment.

Currently priced at over £60, this product originally retailed for under half that price, and I'd recommend shopping around as at £30, it's a snip. The phone looks slightly bulkier, but you can charge up to around 70-80% battery power, perfect for an emergency, and it's also very, very fast. It fits nicely onto the iPhone, and you can tell it when you want to re-boost your battery.

Overall, a very, very useful product!
on 14 November 2012
Even at the reduced price offered by Amazon this is still a shoddy product that I would strongly suggest you avoid.

I bought one a couple of months ago - the charging connector pin in the case snapped within a week. I bought a second. It latest slightly better - a full two months - before the same thing happened again.

The top part of the case slides off at the slightest movement, the cheapo plastic case chips easily and the charging cable falls out, unlike the Apple cable which connects with a positive "click."

Just rubbish.
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2011
To start my review this case really is not worth the £60 - £70+ that is currently being charged for it. I thankfully managed to get mine for around 60% of this price and I'm still unsure if I think it's money well spent.

To start with I bought this to be a battery to provide additional battery life when I'm travelling. I normally wait until the dreaded 20% power remaining pops up and switch it on. It will normally get a full charge........Great! I have never had the claimed 100% from a drained battery.

Now protection wise, it is also very good and while you screen is still exposed, nothing you can do about this the rest of your phone fits pretty well in the case. I still had a tiny bit of movement; however I fixed this with keeping a folded £5 note behind it. Not perfect but no big deal and I have emergency funds if I need them....providing my phone isn't pinched! Maybe It's just mine that is like this.

Now onto the look of the case it's quite nice and while it does turn your phone into a bit of a brick it is a nice looking brick. My only gripe is for the full price I would have expected the outer silver part of the case to be aluminium not plastic. I actually thought this to be the case before I bought mine.

Overall i use another case for day to day use, however I do like this case and it's great for travelling.

Overall 4 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 January 2011
Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Mophie Juice Pack Air Case is the best iPhone battery charging product I have used to date. Other battery chargers that I have bought have lost most of their power within a week, if not used. With the Mophie Juice Pack I first used it a week after charging and it still held nearly all of it's charge. It also charges quicker than other iPhone chargers I have used.

It fits well to the iPhone, and you can choose when you want to top up the power (there is a switch on the underside of the case). The headphones, volume control and camera are all accessible with the juice pack in situ, and the case also stops the iPhone's underside getting scratched and helps stop the iPhone sliding (I've lost count of how many times my slippery iPhone has moved of it's own accord!). It looks good too, with the colour complementing the iPhone.

The only (slight) negative for me is that I have to take the Juice pack off my iPhone when I attach it to my speaker-dock. But that is not a design-flaw, just a minor inconvenience, and an unavoidable one at that. When synching your Iphone to itunes, the Juice pack can stay in place.