5.0 out of 5 stars A modern interpretation of Tchaikovsky's classic Swan Lake, 17 Jan 2011
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
Black Swan by Clint Mansell is a modern interpretation of the well known ballet by Tchaikovsky. Some tracks appear to be directly lifted from the Tchaikovsky'a original orchestrations, however this should not be a distraction for those who are not familiar with his work. There are a number of good re-orchestrations of the main swan lake theme, which weaves nicely amongst Mansell's score, which has a combination of both beautiful and sinister undertones.

This score is great as a stand alone listen, but also serves as a good introduction to Tchaikovsky's music. The tracks which directly quote Swan Lake are the highlight, however the album as a whole sounds fantastic and one of Mansell's best efforts to date. If you liked the music within the film, you will no doubt find this album to be a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writer's Block? No Problem., 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album on Spotify for around a month now, since it first occurred to me. Most of my playlists are writing music, things I listen to when I'm, er, writing :)

All I can say about the Black Swan soundtrack is that it can single-handedly cure writer's block. Yeah. That is inspiration, I can tell you that. A combination of the final track, 'A Swan Song (For Nina)' and the death scene for one of my favourite characters had me sobbing aloud.

So, if you're stuck with your novel ... buy this CD. Now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minimal Madness, 20 Jan 2011
Mr. Warren M. Fisher (East Grinstead, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
Darren Aronofsky's regular composer, Clint Mansell, delivers a terrifying, twisted minimalist score that resembles the most extreme madness of a horror film, as we descend along with the protagonist into the flames of insanity. Mansell's sinuous lines weave and writhe around chunks of Tchaikovsky's orginal ballet score, creating a daring disassociative mood. The CD loses a star only because sometimes there is more Tchaikovsky than Mansell, but this is a minor quibble.

Bleak, haunting and brilliantly unsettling - soundtracks are rarely this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and disturbing, 18 May 2011
H. Callaghan "Alice in Wonderland" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I adore this soundtrack. The beautiful music of the ballet score is supported by darkly disturbing notes, reflecting the fracture of its heroine. I love to write to this, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb Clint Mansell score, 4 Feb 2011
The film has provoked much debate and some mixed reviews, but one thing is very clear - the haunting score by Clint Mansell is (as with his others, such as Requiem for a Dream and Moon) consistently fantastic and will stick with you long after the viewing of the film or the first listening. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Black swan soundtrack, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
I loved Swan Lake and loved this version from the film. If you like either you'll love this. Arrived exactly as promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, buy it!, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
If you love the film and you like Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake then buy this CD. These are shortened and beautifully rearranged pieces. Haven't stopped listening to this since I received it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful atmospheric and darkly gothic soundtrack., 25 Feb 2011
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
After seeing 'Black Swan' at the cinema, I felt in my own way obliged to get the atmospheric and haunting soundtrack that accompanies the film so well and even gives the film a bit of a dark and broody edge to it. That's what I felt. I've listened to it a couple of times now and I feel this is a grandstanding effort on Clint Mansell's part, the film's composer and long time collaborator of Darren Aronofsky. The composer has put in touches of Tchaikovsky's music into various parts of the score to bring out certain essences and all in all this score is a work of art in itself.

I think this score is possibly one of the best scores I've heard in a film from 2010. It's compelling, dramatic and very atmospheric and chilling especially towards the end. The first half of the score is relatively lively and bouncy and playful in its themes. And when we get to the second half of the score, we hear the other side which is darkly moody with dark undertones and really dramatic. This is what I like about this score in particular.

I felt that this score should have had at least an Oscar nomination. I thought it was miles better than any other score I heard from 2010. A chilling, atmospheric and beautifully played score. That's what I thought anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
Superb. Embellishes the original music.

4.0 out of 5 stars delivered on time and very smoothly, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Black Swan (Audio CD)
great cd. delivered on time and very smoothly. the price appears on an accompaninng note, which is not ideal for a gift - i had not asked for gift wrapping tough.

Black Swan
Black Swan by Clint Mansell (Audio CD - 2010)