Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 February 2011
Way way back in the mid 80's I first had a glimpse of the guitar phenomenon that is Eric Johnson via a flexi-disc of the jaw dropping 'Cliffs of Dover' in 'Guitar' magazine. Not since Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Chile had I heard such a vast & powerful guitar tone- but this guy sounded like he'd studied Hendrix via Stravinsky...! Back then most guitarists had that awful 80's fizzy guitar tone, with what musicians describe as repetative 'widdly' guitar licks... but not this guy! Mind boggling technique, soaring guitar tones that sounded like a 100lb violin... I was sold on the spot and have been ever since. But it was at least five years later with the album 'Ah Via Musicom' that fame and grammy nominations finally found Eric Johnson getting the recognition so richly deserved for all those years of woodshedding & sheer hard work. Here at last on DVD is his eponymous debut on the now famous TV show called Austin City Limits. This was the show that his purpleness 'Prince' saw Eric for the amazing talent he is, and put pressure on record companies to sign him- the rest is history... Whilst still not a household name, Eric has remained for me a beacon of what can be done with the electric guitar as a unique voice, and also then influenced many other better known guitarists- most namely Joe Bonamassa, who now almost quotes Eric's solos note for note, not a bad thing I might add! Nice to see (and hear) properly Eric's debut to the world- I can now finally throw my very fuzzy & much copied VHS the show away, and see what the hell those fingers are doing...! Enjoy!
on 18 March 2013
This was bought with other cds in preparation for a live Johnson gig coming shortly. The DVD is brilliant, showcasing his acoustic finger-picking mastery and a Wes Montgomery jazz number, in addition to his usual quality soulful blues Can't wait for the gig.
on 27 September 2015
As a late comer to eric Johnson, I was simply blown away by his finger licking brilliance. I've watched and listened to this set so many times, I should be bored of it,but I don't think I ever will be.
on 25 July 2015
As always, an Eric Johnson album doesn't disappoint. I love it but then I knew that I would. I don't think that Eric Johnson could make a bad album, live or studio, if he tried.
on 4 November 2015
good selection of tracks from one of the all time greats