5.0 out of 5 stars Halleluja Rosie lea.
I decided to write this review as a means of helping other people discover this wonderful album the same way that I did.
I'd bought "Village Green" and was just browsing through the site and I noticed all these rave reviews for "Muswell", I thought at the price it was worth a chance and am I glad I took it.
A bitter-sweet look at life in England at the time this...
Published on 19 Jan 2005 by fizz buzz

3.0 out of 5 stars The Decline and Fall of The Kinks
Published 2 months ago by Nigel W

5.0 out of 5 stars Halleluja Rosie lea., 19 Jan 2005
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
A bitter-sweet look at life in England at the time this is a far more entertaining way to learn about our more recent history than any book.
The song writing is that good (read the booklet that comes with the album) you are transported back in time.
The opening "20th century man" offers an immediate insight of life and thoughts at the time of writing and the album carries on with poignant reminders of life "Holiday", "Skin & bone", "Complicated life", "Here come the people in grey", "Muswell Hillbilly" all dealt with the subtle humour of Ray Davies. The track "Have a cuppa tea" immediately made me think of my Grandma (bless her) with a smile and a tear at the same time. I don't think a Robbie Williams track will ever move me that way.
In short you've got all variety of music on here from blues to rock to folk and back again, I love it, my kids (6 & 4 years old)
love it (a joy to hear them singing "halleluja rosie lea) and you'll love it.
Hope you've found this review helpful, thanks to the other reviewers that's how I found this album.
It's a bargain price aswell.

5.0 out of 5 stars astounding piece of work!!!, 31 May 2003
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
I cannot believe I stumbled on this one by accident. Had never heard of the album but liked the Kinks early stuff so thought I'd buy it. This is an album where every few tracks or so I just cant help shaking my head in acknowledgement of the amazing song-writing ability of Ray Davies. This is an album I'll never get bored of listening to. Interesting mix of musical styles - r and b, jazz and country - works incredibly well - not a duff track on there. I used to think Pete Townshend was the most talented Rock songwriter that Britain had produced but after listening to this album and the preservation albums I think that mantle now belongs to Ray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinks on Top Form, 13 Jun 2011
F. Perry (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
If most people accept the Beatles and the Stones as the two greatest British bands of the 1960's then who should be 3rd? Many fine contenders exist - The Who, The Small Faces, The Moody Blues to name but three but I feel that accolade firmly rests with the Kinks. As they entered the 1970's they were riding high on the back of the massive hit 'Lola' and had just switched label to RCA. Surely another decade of uninterrupted success lay ahead.

We now know that was not to be, the endless stream of killer singles was to dry up and Ray Davies would take the band in a different direction towards music hall. However before that all happened the band produced one of their finest albums. There is no big hit single here but the songs are perfectly crafted pop/rock confections with a country tinge and a small nod to future music hall adventures to come. The thing is the album works as a whole, their most cohesive work since 'Preservation Green' and perhaps as such is greater than the sum of it's individual songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the three best Kinks albums ever!, 2 Jun 2007
John K. Gateley "johngateley" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
Muswell Hillbillies proved to be a dramatic departure for one of the sixties most prolific and successful British pop groups. From Lola in 1970 we were suddenly dropped into 40 minutes of what seemed like a collection of gloomy and depressing songs. There were no hit singles on this album. RCA must have had a pink fit! However, if you treat this album as a serious collection of honest songs about the world we were all growing up in at the time; it stands up as a truly remarkable album. The lyrics are finely written. The tunes are catchy and well played. 20th Century Man (the opening track) is a powerful statement of not wanting to be part of this world. Ray still plays this track live today and it still sounds outstanding 36 years on. Oklahoma USA is one of the most beautiful songs you will ever here. Tracks like Alcohol, Skin and Bone and Complicated Life have an air of sarcasm and wit about them that is very appealing. There are a lot of Kinks fans out there - me included - who feel that this album was a real one-off departure for the Kinks which sounds as fresh and gritty today as it did in 1971. We thank Ray and the band for this classic album because the band never released anything as honest and open again. A true classic but don't look for any hit singles here - there aren't any - just a collection of great observations that are still very relevant in the 21st century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melancholy Masterpiece, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
One of the greatest albums ever made, no question. Roots rock and roll with a caustic depressive lyrical outlook unique to Sir Ray (and why not?!). Anyone who thinks becoming a rock star will make you happy should listen to this album.

All life we work but work is a bore,
If life's for livin' then what's livin' for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Muswell Hillbillies, the Kinks. 1998 Velvel reissue. Unfairly neglected album, 12 Mar 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
After years of making do with Kinks `best ofs', a little while ago I started collecting all their albums. Along the way I have come across some absolute treasures which are never represented in compilations, and this classic album is definitely one of them.

This album falls in between the English pastoral and the overblown pantomime rock opera periods of the band. It presents us with a series of catchy, well written tunes, in turns rocky alternating with reflective. The lyrics are among some of Ray Davies' best, especially `Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues', which has to be one of the best Kinks songs ever!

Musically this is hard to define - blues/jazz, with a slight London/Cockney feel. Whatever it is, it's brilliant and I love it!

This 1998 reissue from Velvel is a decent effort, which sounds pretty good and includes some decent liner notes.

An unfairly neglected album in the Kinks canon, one that delivers track after track. This will appeal to fans of the Kinks, especially fans of the Lola and Village Green albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic early seventies concept album, 30 Nov 2008
M. HOPKINSON (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
Whilst this is not one of the Kinks' best known or best selling albums, it is easily one of their best. Moreover it has a raft of first class songs that most people will have never heard.

Released after the success of the hit single Lola (and its much inferior accompanying album), Muswell Hilbillies was a commercial failure. The unfashionable subject matter (lives of North London working class folk) and the muddy production quality were probably both factors. However, if you get past these issues, the quality of songs and many of the arrangements will hook you in. A previous reviewer says that the songs lack wit. I wouldn't agree at all. They are full of well observed humour, even if the subject matter is grim. e.g:

"The sea's an open sewer, but I really couldn't care. I'm breathing through my mouth so I don't have to sniff the air!" (Holiday)

The other theme running through the album is escape in various forms including alcohol, holidays and cups of tea. Towards the end, another approach to escape emerges - fantasising about life in rural USA, probably inspired by visits to the cinema. "I'm Muswell hillbilly boy, but my heart lies in old West Virginia". The twin themes of poor-quality city life and escape brings coherence to the whole album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinks Greatest, 13 Aug 2004
C. Whitworth "juliehill87" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
Wow! I picked this cd up a couple of days ago out of curiosity and it's not come off my ipod. This stands up against anything else Ray Davies has ever done. You can sing along,laugh or cry and then feel like Ray is having a laugh at you or take it seriously. I think He genuinely has great affection for his characters and great understanding.The songwriting/music is fantastic and next to Preservation society is their greatest achievement.Paul McCartney? Pete Townshend? Nah.....Ray's the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem from Mr. Davies & Co., 3 July 2000
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
Ah yes, there's something about the music of the Kinks that just grows and grows on you. Muswell Hillbillies, released in 1971, is by no means like the music of the mid sixties that the Kinks tend to get labelled with, however, give this album a couple of listens and you'll realise this is not a bad thing. I'd like to pick a couple of favourites from the album, but that's too difficult, just buy it..you won't be sorry. Nice one Ray..(again). Kevin.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Decline and Fall of The Kinks, 3 May 2014
Nigel W (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
After a string of great albums from Face to Face to Lola Vs Powerman The Kinks went into terminal decline. I remember buying this album at the time and thinking they had sold out to America. If songs about old west Virginia and Oklahoma weren't bad enough, Ray's constant whinging about modern life began to increasingly jar. Although the production was crisp, it lacked that density of sound that made listening to the old records such a delight. There were a lot of struggles in Ray Davies' life at the time and a change of labels which no doubt contributed to his vanishing muse. However, no matter how great any group is they all seem to have a purple patch that defines their career and the rest is pretty much disposable. Even The Beatles White Album was patchy and they finally tripped up on Let It Be and The Rolling Stones records became irrelevant after Exile on Main St. Still, The Kinks are one of the great enduring groups of sixties who produced much great stuff in their prime.

Muswell Hillbillies