5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Device - But get the HRM Version
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by Graham Mccarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy
I upgraded from my five year old model which never gave me a problem to this one that has never worked properly. battery life is bad and gamin customer support is useless. waste of money.
Published on 12 May 2012 by karmendy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Device - But get the HRM Version, 29 Dec 2010
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The Garmin Forerunner 410 is the replacement for the Garmin Forerunner 405 and Garmin Forerunner 405CX and in this respect is a second generation device. The Forerunner 405 was almost a great device, small enough to be used as an everyday watch and a fully functional GPS runner's tool, but when the reviews started trickling in it became clear that it had a major problem, the sleek touch sensitive (iPod like) bezel didn't work too well when it became wet (with rain or sweat). The Forerunner 410 looks and works much the same as the Forerunner 405 but the troublesome bezel is now much improved.

The Forerunner 410 is primarily a runner's watch with just enough features to make it useful to cyclists; it's not really well suited fto the tri-athlete for several reasons. Garmin states that the Forerunner 410 is rated at IPX7, this means that it has been tested in water at a depth of one metre for 30 minutes. The GPS signal does not penetrate water so the GPS function will not work, likewise the Heart Rate Monitor will not work in water.

The Forerunner 410 came with no charge at all in the battery, but charging is quick and simple; it was 100% charged after about 2 hours. With the GPS enabled the battery will last up to 8 hours; this is borne out by experience. One improvement over the earlier Garmin Forerunner 405 is that you can now disable the GPS function and this extends battery life to around a week (apparently).

The Forerunner 410 has four customisable screens to view and each can be configured to display 1,2 or 3 of the 35 available data fields. Three of the 35 data fields will require the additional foot-pod for cadence information and a further eight fields will require the optional heart rate monitor. The Foot Pod is useful for capturing cadence (steps per minute) and for distance/speed when no GPS signal is available (in the gym and on the treadmill). The heart rate monitor strap is worth the investment and provides a wealth of additional data.

The GPS facility is excellent, it typically picks up the GPS signal well within one minute and so far it hasn't lost it. Tracking appears to be very accurate, typically within 5% of the actual distance run. The elevation calculation can be a little vague (this is not the fault of the watch but a result of how GPS calculates elevation) but even this seems to tally on the Forerunner 410.

One of the most useful features is the Virtual Partner, this enables you to set a target pace for your virtual partner and track progress against him/her on your run. This is a fantastic feature for pacing yourself, especially in a race when it's so easy to start too quickly. It's easy to switch between the Virtual Partner page and the data pages on the watch by simply tapping the bezel (or using the auto scroll feature). I've tried this in the rain and deep into a run with sweaty hands with no problem. I've even tried it with gloves on and it worked fine. The display can also be locked to prevent accidental activation.

The PC software setup was simplicity itself (I use Windows XP) and the watch automatically downloads the run data as soon as it's within range of the USB antenna (about 2 metres). The GarminConnect web site is free and gives a very good analysis of the data. It will show the route you took, heart-rate, speed, elevation and cadence and will even animate it to show all the readings as you ran - really impressive. There is also some free software available on the web (Sports Tracks 3.0) that is compatible with the Garmin 410 and that enables you to analyse the data still further.

The Garmin 410 is a really impressive piece of equipment and now that the bezel issues appear to have been largely fixed is definitely worth getting if you're a runner. If you're more of a Tri-athlete I may be tempted to go for the Garmin Forerunner 310XT as a more suitable device.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Purchase!, 28 July 2011
Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch

I was contemplating buying the Nike GPS watch for a while but was really worried about the USB connector in the strap.
(When it goes....GPS watch over with)

So when I saw the 410 used 'Wireless' to sync data I thought it was worth a further look.

I then noticed some really cool features:
The ability to define workouts and place them in a calendar on your PC and upload them to your watch.
It will then remind you of upcoming workouts!

You can also define routes (WalkJogRun Style) or find other runners routes on the Garmin Connect site and upload them to the watch.
What you then have is a 'Ghost Runner' and GPS directions around the route. (The watch tells you when you are going off track etc)
Although it can be difficult to run and look at directions I can see it could be a pretty good way of finding new routes.

However my favourite feature is the Virtual Running Partner. A really simple item where you define a pace and the watch tracks your performance against the 'Virtual Runner'. I found this really motivating. (I wasn't going to let some pixelated bitmap beat me!)
This has really helped me improve my times!

Coupled with accurate GPS (No problems to date) and pretty good battery life (it is doing a lot on a small battery) I'm really pleased with my purchase.

Yes the bezel can be frustrating at first but you soon get used to it and once you do, you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Finally, after saving so much on Amazon ;-) , I went for the heart rate monitor & foot pod. This really adds a new dimension to my workouts.
I'm really hooked on seeing how my fitness is improving and amazed to see the results of what all this hard work is doing!

Why haven't I given it 5 stars?
Well, there is a lot going on..Lots of menus and a huge amount of functionality. (Which could be daunting to a casual runner)

Being a former Nike+ user..You'll notice that the Garmin Connect site is far more 'Formal' than the Nike site.
The Software for Garmin also has a more 'Scientific' feel to it, rather than the social portal look of Nike. (Again you soon get used to this)

Also whilst you can massively customise the data presentation on the watch (Pace, time, HR etc) the smaller elements of text can be quite small if you are trying to read them whilst on the run. (Perhaps my eyesight isn't what it used to be)
Finally if I'm being picky...The shape of the watch strap is fairly rigid and quite snug on my not overly large wrist. (Although you do get two velcro style replacement straps that may be better if you do have larger than average wrists)

Is the 610 any better...Probably. But at nearly £200 more than what I paid...I suspect not worth the extra cash.

Overall a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 410, 7 Feb 2012
I took my time reading reviews on all the available models, time well spent the 410 is a great piece of kit ,it finds satellites quickly every time, easy to use, very good battery life and it all links up with my mac. I t is a great training tool i use mine 6 days a week and highly recommend it to all.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy, 12 May 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars GPS watch, 18 July 2013
I was not very pleased with my watch as their was to much and found it to hard to follow so i return it and you sent me a 210 GPS
and it is just brillant thank you for your super service just one email and it was all sorted. will do business again .

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rubbish, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 410 With GPS -
The Garmin Forerunner 410 doesn't work!

Only buy this product if you like watching progress bars that never quite reach 100% complete. Today I wasted way too much precious workout time trying to get this to work (the progress bar indicated it was constantly searching for satellites), and then I got fed up and went running without it anyway. I waited 15 - 20 minutes before my run, used the reset/manual function to try to find the satellites, all with no success.

The HRM function didn't work either, so I've found this product to be completely useless.

A search on different fora suggests many other people have had similar issues with Garmin products, so I am sending it back ASAP.

Disappointed. I will need to find a replacement that has all of the features and actually works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Garmin yet, 20 Oct 2012
This is the third Garmin that i have had and easily the best one yet. The size and shape is considerably more streamline and ergonomic than previous models and other offers in the market.

The bezel is simple to get the hang of but difficult to operate with wet/sweaty hands. But the virtual partner is a genius little function that I seem to get very competitive with.

Shop around for the best price as they varied considerably on Amazon when i got mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Set time and date, 20 Aug 2012
I have just received this watch and I must say I am getting a little annoyed with it. I am unable to set the correct time and date. I lock onto a satellite but still no correct time nd date a it says it should do automatically. I am also unable to select the correct location as United Kingdom is not an option. does anyone have any idea how to rectify this before I send it back???????

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but sometimes too complicated and the bezel confuses ..., 20 July 2012
Reason why I bought one of these : had been using Sporttracker on my Nokia for a while, but looking at your watch during workouts is a bit difficult. Decided to go for a watch with GPS function again.

The Timex got a minus (didn't like it); the Nike is like a toy and one needs to connect it.

Looked around and thus went for this one ...

+ : wireless transmission via ANT/ not too big/ does everything it Garmin promises/ price (bought it at £135 here at Amazon - the price does swing up and down, so one will have to wait sometimes in order to get it at that price)/ during running you have everything you need

- : the bezel is a source of frustration especially in the beginning/ the menus as well (complicated as the set up is sometimes not logical)/ don't like the graphs of Garmin Connect and find it 'basic' (still looking for another programm to review my work outs)/ sometimes it doesn't update from Connect to the watch

All in all happy with the purchase, as I knew all the minus-points in advance.

4.0 out of 5 stars 410, 22 April 2012
The original (plastic) wristband is suitable only for those who have a big wrist. There are replacement bands for smaller wrists.. not bad, but it doesn't look as good as with the original one. Wasn't aware of it when I bought the 410. Otherwise very satisfied with the product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›