5.0 out of 5 stars COUNTRY? UNSURE. ENJOYABLE? YES!
First of all, let me state categorically that I regard Tim Rice-Oxley as a living, breathing, giant of a musical genius who has hardly put a foot wrong in his (so far) illustrious carreer. To me, quite simply, Keane WALK ON WATER. I also, strangely enough, happen to like country music, so was curious about this venture.

It normally takes a few spins for me to...
Published on 18 Jun. 2012 by T. Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rubbish
These guys obviously had too much time on their hands but lacked the talent to do anything with it. They've managed to create a new genre of country music....crap country!
This will only appeal to Keane fans who think the sun shines out of their backsides.
Published on 20 Mar. 2013 by Big Daz

5.0 out of 5 stars COUNTRY? UNSURE. ENJOYABLE? YES!, 18 Jun. 2012
T. Baker (Kent, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)

It normally takes a few spins for me to 'digest' Keane's special concoctions, so I held back writing this review to allow the T.R.O. 'magic' to work its way into my consciousness and, sure enough, eventually, several distinctive tracks began to emerge: 'Bitter pill' (an obvious highlight), 'Coming home,' 'Another night on my side' (reminiscent of 'Rumours'-era Fleetwood Mac) & the glorious 'Annie Ford' (which falls somewhere between 'Sovereign Light Cafe' & 'Me & Bobbie McGee' - with a dash of 'Maggie May'). This record is most enjoyable, though not sure if it's really country. (To me, the Cox Family performing 'Backroads' is REAL country & hits emotional spots other genres can't reach). I expected it to be more acoustic (which only the bonus track is) & don't like the drumming - a common complaint (compare with the aforementioned Fleetwood Mac album), though the more I listen the more I get used to the sound. Strangely, they remind me at times of (sorry to go back so far) Buffalo Springfield, if anyone remembers them, with vocal shades of both Steve Stills & - especially on 'Bitter pill' (which I think features Tim) - Neil Young. The opening track, 'Departure,' also reminds me of 'Go & say goodbye,' the opener on B. Springfield's debut album (a mere 43 years ago!).

Now, some quibbles:
1. No writer's credits.
2. No lyric-sheet.
3. No sleeve mention of the bonus acoustic number which mysteriously appears two minutes after final track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb From Start To Finish!, 10 Feb. 2013
Craig G. Williams (READING UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
This really is a great listen and prioves to me that Mr Tim Rice-Oxley is a musical genius! I mean I love Keane there great but this is completely different! I never liked country music that much but listening to this changes everything! Both Tim RO and Jesse Quin have great voices and suit these songs perfectly! What a clssic album this will be if it has not become one already!

My favourite songs have to be: THE ENTIRE ALBUM totally unskippable! I cannoy believe no one would like this after listening to it all the way through these are really some corking tunes on here!

Trust Me Give it a listen if you love good music then you will love this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Americana, English style, 15 Sept. 2010
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
OK the title of my review is a bit naff but for me this is what this album sounds like. Firstly, considering the pedigree of the band members, apart from a few melodic flourishes it sounds nothing like Keane. It does however take some of the English folk tradition, recently exemplified by Mumford and Son among others (a couple of them turn up on here as well)and puts well and truly into sagebrush and cowboy boot territory. The lyrical content is thoughtful as well, steering well clear of country music whimsy or misery, so that by the end of the album you will have a great big grin on your face as you hit the "repeat" button.

5.0 out of 5 stars More great material from Tim Rice-Oxley, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
Really enjoying this album; not recognisably Keane, this is a great mix of fast-paced and chilled out 'Countriana' music, though I continue to wonder why only Tim got involved and not Tom as well. Quite a short album but leaves you wanting more. Others might disagree, but I even got hints of Zero 7 here and there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
Got this for myself as an early Christmas present and wasn't disappointed. I'm a huge Keane fan and was curious how Tim and Jesse did with this little side-project of theirs :). Result- beautiful songs with lovely tunes and great lyrics! This CD's definitely one of my all-time favourites :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Album Buy it!, 11 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (MP3 Download)
Brilliant song writing, one of those albums you need to listen to a few times before you become hooked. Can't wait to hear what else they come out with. Buy it and enjoy it - Song 4 is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent,, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
excellent album very different to keane,total mixture of music,very easy listening but. would recommend to everyone who enjoys keane !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars super !!!!, 20 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
Tim et Jesse sont formidable, j'adore cet album..... c'est sympa de découvrir un autre coter de la musique de Tim en dehors de Keane, je l'adore vraiment..... je conseil a tout le monde de l'acheter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
Work in the entertainment biz was given a promo copy. Really amazing. The standard of songwriting is exceptional. Could be a future classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rubbish, 20 Mar. 2013