5.0 out of 5 stars Proved that the misses hogs the bed covers
Got this as a monitor for a new arrival in the family. Put it through a decent enough test and it does everything it says on the box. Works well with my android phone and remotely.

Published on 17 July 2011 by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Foscam FI8918W
Easy to set up & use, bundled software can cope with up to 9 additional cameras,can be activated by movement to record or send emails etc. Note however that the camera can be 'blinded' by its own IR LEDs reflecting back off the white casing when the tilt angle is fully depressed - a problem not suffered by the black version of this camera. Would get 4 stars otherwise.
Published on 6 May 2011 by PeterJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Proved that the misses hogs the bed covers, 17 July 2011

Very impressed with the camera! If you decide to purchase the camera do not forget to update the firmware via the manufacturers website, which is a ten minute job that even an idiot like myself can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of tech, 10 May 2011
We bought this to monitor our stud cat in his "pad", works great with good wifi range. Dyndns allows outside access to the camera from a smartphone, low light capability is excellent with the infra red leds. Setting up is fairly straight forward, set up as a wired camera first so you get used to the menus and settings before going wireless.

3.0 out of 5 stars Foscam FI8918W, 6 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless camera, 14 Jan 2013
This is a great device. Straightforward to set up. Camera quality is very good especially the night vision. Used it with Ethernet and wireless connection without fault. Lots of features but the most useful is the movement detection with email notification.

4.0 out of 5 stars FOSCAM FI8918W, 4 April 2011
This is a neat little IP Camera that we use for monitoring the house whilst we're out. Some minor points of criticism that may me more a matter of my inexperience using this sort of product but I'll give you my thoughts anyway. I'm running the camera off a Macbook which caused a few installation issues; firstly don't attempt to use the installation mini-CD in a Macbook slot CD drive - it'll get stuck. The installation guide doesn't make it too clear what to do in this case but not having access to the CD is not a snag - all you'll need to do is plug your camera into your router, use an IP scanner to discover the camera's address, type that address into your browser and you should be able to configure everything from there. The other issue running the camera off a Mac with Safari as a browser is the apparent reduction in capability compared to the use of a PC with IE. I can't seem to access the audio monitoring capabilities on the Mac even when running the camera off IE - it works fine off my PC netbook with IE9 but I was a little disapointed not to be able to monitor audio on my Macbook / Iphone4 (if anybody has a solution to this then let me know). Regarding the camera itself - it is good value for money and certainly does what I need it to do with IR illumination for night time and remote control to pan around.

In sum - a good value camera that appears best suited for use with PC and Internet Explorer. Not all functionality advertised appears available when running it on a Mac with Safari / Firefox but I hope to proved wrong on this... The installation process was not too difficult with a little research on the various internet fora (the instructions included in the package are vague but the Foscam US website was helpful - the UK site has a lot of holes at the moment) and you'll probably need a few workarounds if you're a macbook user. Better Mac compatibility would improve the score but good VFM - beware cheaper imitations though. And remember, like most 'wireless IP cams' this is only wireless with regards to your internet connection - you'll still need a permanent power connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Mar 2012
I looked at alot of IP cam products on the market and found most to be expensive and did not have what i was looking for i then saw the Foscam and this product had everything i needed. This item is not for peole who do not have any knowledge of computers or portforwarding.

The initial wired setup and wireless setup is very straight forward the only issue i had was watching the cam over the internet at work etc

If you want to view this over the internet you have got to have a static IP address which if you have a dynamic address like mine which keeps changing can be an extra expense.

I asked my provider for a static address and this was going to cost me an extra £8 pounds per month. After some research i found NOIP.COM. They give you one address to forward your own dynamic IP address to and downloading a small programme from them updates your router address when it changes.

The cams colours are abit off and blues are red and greens are purple. The sound is not too good either which gives off a buzzing noise but you can here people talking and you can also talk to them. Field of vision is about 320 degrees and you can move the cam remotely. The IR lights are pretty good but you would not be able to identify anyone from this and you would probably need an external light for better viewing

Just to mention this item does not constantly record to your computer has to be on and be viewing the camera to record and would only record with any movement detected also you can set it to send you pictures of any movement via e mail

The power cord is a little short but you can buy extensions from other sources. Overall this is an excellent product for the price and if you want something of better quality go and spend £200 + for a decent wired system

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 14 Jan 2012
Delivered within 24 hours.

I am not computer minded but I did ok setting up this item to run through my router so I can control it through my laptop. I am only going to use it in one room when I am home but I think it is good value for what it does. For example, you can chat to people through the unit from anywhere in the world...and the infra red nite vision is very very clear...ideal for a kids nursery to monitor your newborns. Er...Not that you should monitor your kids from another country...that could lead to prison...

If you are wanting to monitor your home when you are abroad then this is ideal product for that as well cos you can just log in via the net and control the camera from wherever you are.

Ummm! you are able to listen and chat through this camera via the net.. Now, what I found was that the audio was very noisy and quite painful to one's lugoles as it carried internet hiss with it but the audio from the camera was very clear indeed. perhaps I need a filter...I dunno....but as I said earlier I only want to use it when I am home anyway.

Once you have set this unit up you can move it anywhere where there is a power supply and in wireless distance of your router.....This model is indoor use only. You can have up to 9 cameras for the software provided with this item.

I am not computer minded so those who are out there probably have remedies for the issues I noted.

The video quality is excellent day and night so I am happy with that...

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent night vision camera. Not very good quality for normal light though., 11 Jan 2012
Build Quality: Very good build quality. Supplied fixture for wall is also very good. Easy to attach the camera to the fixture (Which needs to be screwed into a wall or support), or to just leave it on the desk. Looks very nice (white).

Install & Config : Easy to configure on the wired as well as wireless networks (but I do have good network setup skills). Software compatible with both Mac & PC. They also have a free App for iPhone & iPad. It has a lot of configuration options, so I won't be going into too much detail. Look up the manual on their website. It also has autio in and out ports 3.5mm (like on PC), 1 LAN port, along with a WiFi antenna. The Power adaptor cable is a bit short, so you may need to use an extension.

Operation : Camera has lot of controls. IR lights can be switched on or off. Camera pans both horizontally and vertically. Can also be set in various sentry modes for automatically panning. It has a lot of degrees of movement. Can be rotated by touch control via the iOS App as well. No Zoom control though.

Image Quality : This camera has very good image quality for night vision. Good range on the infrared lights. But be aware that night vision images will always be B&W. The colours in the normal light are not really good. Infact some of my black T-shirts were shown as violet, with the IR lights off. I have an Axis 207W that give HD quality video with perfect colours, but its useless in the dark. This one works in pitch-black. Perfect for monitoring babies. Also has audio, but apparently it works only through IE browser.

So far as I am concerned, it is fit for the purpose purchased, so very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping an eye on things, 13 Jun 2011
I have wanted a camera that does what the Foscam does for years. I have never been able to understand why there are not more devices like this on the market but full marks to the company that makes these for filling a very obvious hole in the market.

The camera works really well. The set-up is relatively easy and the web interface is great, although it works best with IE. It even works with an app on my Android phone.

Just a couple of wishes for any future developments of this camera are:

Higher resolution than the 640x480
A zoom lens
Ability to save moving images via ftp.

I bought the white version of the camera because at the time it was £[] cheaper on amazon than the black one. It does reflect rather badly if set up to look through a window but I reckon it would be easy enough to paint it black if it was a real problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars a VERY cost effective IP Camera that works as advertised, 6 Sep 2011
I bought 6 of these to install around our business internally, to monitor door access points.

In principal they are very simple devices, and don't even require proprietary software, only a web browser, but, a knowledge of IP and subnet addresses is an advantage. Most people who have setup their own home modem/router will have an idea of how things work and that will help if things don't work straight out of the box.

The cameras have been running for over 3 months now 24/7 and have not failed at any point. I am using the Blue Iris software with the cameras in order to capture the video, which I'm happy with but I'm not reviewing that here.

I have recommended these without hesitation. In my opinion nothing comes close for the money. If you want a better lens and resolution you'll be paying significantly more money and I'm not sure I could justify the extra money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›