5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent science heavy Paleo guide.
Published on 23 Oct 2011 by irnmunkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best
Although I think much of the advice in this books is worthwhile, other factors make it fall short of the mark. The style, which is supposed to be humorous, is just irritating and the layout makes the content difficult to access if you want to flip back for referral.

Published on 17 Feb 2011 by O Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent science heavy Paleo guide., 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this book and I must say its great. I had been following the Paleo lifestyle via Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint(Also excellent Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health & Boundless Energy (Primal Blueprint Series) This book covers the same general ideas as Primal living with only a few differences. The first half is quite science heavy but Robb Wolf has a great way of making it understandable. I would reccomend this book for anyone who hasn't gone Paleo yet and also for anyone already doing it who wants some more science based facts as to why it works and what is actually happening in your body.

Oh and for anyone wondering whether it works? Well I,ve lost 80lbs in 4 months without ever feeling hungry and energy is through the roof so you can make your own conclusions on where I stand about its effectiveness!

5.0 out of 5 stars I never realised!, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (Kindle Edition)
A friend of my son introduced me to this book about six months ago, as he was someone who treats his body like a temple, I thought, as he raved over it, it would be worth a read, he loaned me his copy and at about the second chapter I thought "I must get a copy of this myself". I had struggled with acid reflux, high blood pressure and high cholesterol for years, first trying a (very) low fat diet to counter the cholesterol with a dissapointing lack of result. The next attempt was with statins from the doctor, these lowered the cholesterol slightly and the blood pressure tablets dropped the blood pressure a little. About two years after this I tried the paleo diet, I lost about 10 kilos and felt fantastic, I was a little concerned that such a rich and pleasant diet couldn't be that good for my health but as I say I felt better than I had for years, I had a cholesterol test done about 2 months after starting the diet and my cholesterol level was down to a healthy level. All in all, I can only sum it up as a life changing book,it worked wonders for me and I would suggest you try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your diet, improve your LIFE!, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
This book could be entitled "The Paleo Lifestyle". If you were expecting just another low carb diet/recipe book, this isn't it. If you want a list of rules with rigid guidelines that you can never deviate from, this isn't for you.

So where does it fit and what can you expect?

Do you have any questions about how a modern framework based on a Paleolithic lifestyle will help you lose weight, slow the ageing process and improve performance? Then this is it.

If you suffer or are likely to suffer from auto-immune diseases such as Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns, Rheumatoid arthritis, etc - this will provide answers on managing these conditions.

If you're wondering what types of exercises/activities will help you achieve the above goals, and why less is sometimes more, then this will provide answers.

Concerned about avoiding cancer, diabetes, heart disease and neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc? This is for you.

Many of us we need a lifestyle review. Not only in terms of restful sleep and reducing stress levels, but with making the right 'real food' choices and performing activities that are aligned to these goals. Sounds easy, but sometimes we need guidance and the author has lots of experience in this field. Some of us want scientific evidence and there is copious amounts of this in the book. Some of us want to try the Paleo Solution based upon the experience of others and you can find these in the many testimonials available related to Robb's work.

This book discusses some of the reasoning behind the conflicting advice to be found in the world of nutrition. With some of the author's advice flying in the face of conventional wisdom. Robb Wolf presents this to us with supported pre-historic evidence, his world class expertise with strength & conditioning coaching and the latest studies in scientific research. A worthy read.

Final note: Some of the reviewers are concerned about the American bias and comical references. To this I would respond that the author is American and the topics are so serious it needs to be balanced with some light humour. We should also bear in mind that many of the issues blighting America affect us here in the UK - although one could argue not to the same extent.

I highly recommend this book and Paleo Fitness - A Primal Training and Nutrition Program to Get Lean, Strong and Healthy if you want to add some primal fitness routines to your paleo lifestyle!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book on Paleo Lifestyle, 2 Sep 2012
I was told about this book by a fitness instructor and thought I'd give it a go. I read Cordein's Paleo Diet book about 6 or 7 years ago, and have read the works of Gary Taubes and Barry Groves since, so I thought it would be useful to get another perspective on the issue.

Robb Wolf writes in an easy-to-understand and often irreverent style. He doesn't pull any punches and uses a lot of humour to make his points. The best bits of the book are the anthropology, biology and nutrition parts, where Wolf gives the reader a good understanding of the problems with the grain-based diet and the dangers of refined sugar. There is also a useful section on sleep and stress reduction. He makes it clear that good sleep is an important cornerstone of the whole approach, and shows that it isn't just the modern diet that is causing problems. Overall, he makes a convincing case for adopting the lifestyle of our pre-Neolithic ancestors, or as much as one possibly can within the constraints of modern civilisation.

My only criticisms would be that the book has a tendency to jump around a bit, and Wolf doesn't mention the importance of drinking lots of water (preferably spring water) as part of this kind of diet. Water helps flush out the crap that has accumulated in our bodies, as well as removing ketones should you enter a ketogenic state due to the low carb intake. The listing of "dos" and "don'ts" could be a bit clearer too.

That said, I am impressed with the book. It adds to and reinforces the arguments over the Paleo approach and has helped in motivating me to ditch the grains for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have autoimmune issues, this solution will save your life!, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
The book actually claims it may save your life which may sound like a bold - possibly outlandish and ridiculous - statement to make, until you learn that it's very likely going to save mine. To understand this, I need to give you a quick background as to why I came to read it...

In 2010 I began a journey that would lead me on a search to find answers to why my mental health was deteriorating and I was experiencing symptoms consistent with Attention Deficit Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome at the high end of the autistic spectrum. The symptoms, which probably crossed over between the two, included disrupted executive functions; inability to concentrate and focus attention, poor working memory, an intense dislike and inability to function in a social setting (making conversation, reading body language, etc), and an inability to prioritise tasks. I was now dangerous when driving because my mind would wander instead of concentrating on the road and traffic ahead, and university study was a constant battle because I was in an almost permanent state of 'brain fog' which I can only describe as akin to trying to look at the world clearly after drinking a bit too much alcohol.

My journey took me to see numerous health professionals (in the UK that meant the NHS) whose opinions would range from not having a clue what was wrong, that there was nothing wrong with me, or simply patronizing me with arrogant and ignorant attitudes, devoid of any constructive plans of action. Suffice to say, I wasn't going to find any answers to my problems here. Nevertheless, the diagnostic findings resulting from these hospital appointments were informative. They confirmed damage to the Cerebellum area of the brain, inflammation and a small ulcer in my gut, and the presence of an auto-antibody in my blood.

Only after reading Robb Wolf's book did all the pieces of the puzzle start to fall into place. I learned about the connection between auto-immunity and how susceptible individuals can have an adverse reaction to grains (wheat, barley, rye, oats, etc), dairy or legumes. These substances can penetrate the gut wall and cause the immune system to mount an attack which ends up with the immune system destroying healthy cells in the body because it confuses them with almost identical protein signatures from external substances. In my case, working backwards, the cerebellar damage was being caused by the immune system inadvertently attacking the cells in the brain which then were causing my symptoms. The presence of the auto-antibody in my blood was evidence of this immune response taking place and the inflammation in my gut was suggestive of the root cause of the problem. No doctor had ever suggested this connection, including a neurologist who almost laughed at my early suggestion that gluten (a protein in wheat) may be a causative factor in neurological problems. In his words, he had never heard of any connection between gluten and neurology.

Now, this is important, to be clear Robb's book did not specifically link the neurological symptoms I had with auto-immune disease; that link came from over a year of personal research that involved reading hundreds of academic medical journal articles. What Robb's book did do was tie up the other end of the equation, giving me a root-cause for the auto-immunity to take place. Furthermore, the book actually identified one of the known causes of this type of food-induced auto-immunity as being a type of cancer known as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The auto-antibody in my blood is specifically linked, in the medical literature, with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

To cut a long story short, I radically changed my diet, following the advice in Robb's book (eating mainly meat and vegetables) and have slowly started to feel better. A full recovery may now take many months, even years; but I've started this process by starting to heal my gut and, little by little, each day I feel a bit better. For the first time in years I am actually experiencing total clarity and focus in everyday life. The next step is healing the damage to my brain which, with no guarantees, will take a lot longer. Without this book I would never have found the root-case of my problems and the solution. The `Paleo Solution' is so called because the author has seen the resolution of similar complaints from thousands of people; in my case, and after searching in vain for answers in the most obvious places, it was the only solution.

Thanks Robb... saving people's lives for under a tenner, now that's impressive!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the last pieces in the jigsaw puzzle, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
I disagree with the previous review entirely. I am a qualified nutritionist who has spent 10 years battling against the recieved wisdom of the balanced low GI diet that I was taught was the only solution.

Robb Wolf a hightly qualified Biochemist with a sense of humour - he explains in enough detail, the whys behind the lowcarb diet success, but then adds layers including immunology, hormonal profiling. He then gives it to you straight on the how. I know of no other diet author who can give you those whys except perhaps Loren Cordain. If you want 4 books to inform you about the paradigm shift that is occuring in nutrition and health then look no further than Robb Wolf , Gary Taubes, Michael and Mary Eades and Loren Cordain. If you want it more user friendly with less science stuff then Look at Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint.

It is written for the American market, it is written by an American....suck it up or do the research dig up the biocehmistry and write it for the Brits! - In the meantime if you're serious follow it for 30 days TO THE LETTER review how you 'LOOK FEEL and PERFORM' and then tell me its like any other low carb diet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)

Personally, I found it too restrictive and preferred The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Rob Wolf's book might be a purer style of Paleo eating but The Primal Blueprint is more doable for the modern human and therefore more useful if your goals are long term.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Paleo Solution, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
Clear, concise and it works. I lost weight as it said and I feel loads better. You can only give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo: It works!, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
Another reviewer claimed you could find better information about paleo with a Google search... funnily enough, if you follow that advice you'll end up right at Robb Wolf's website!

Robb's website has been in my bookmarks folder for longer than I can remember. It is one of the friendliest, most-accessible and knowledgable sites on paleo nutrition on the Internet and I'm stoked that Robb has found the time to write this book to share his great knowledge further afield.

See, Robb isn't just some guy who decided to write a book about paleo. He's a former research biochemist who really understands how paleo works and affects our bodies at a fundamental level. This in itself is enough to recommend this book: if you want an accessible introduction to the science behind paleo then this is a book you need.

More than this, however, Robb knows how to translate this into the real and simple practicalities of 'doing paleo': how to shop for good quality food, how to prepare and cook it and how to combine this all into a lifestyle that your body was designed for.

Trying paleo for thirty days is the standard recommendation for assessing if it works for you. This book is the best companion I can think of to take with you on the journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's your magic pill! Diet is often the root of all evil!, 7 July 2011
I read this in prepartation for doing the paleo 30 day challenge that Robb suggests in his book. It's a popular test within crossfit circles and is adopted either as a lean up method or people have usually progressed from the zone diet, which is Crossfit's other recommended form of nutrition. I'm familiar with Robb Wolf from his nutrtion work with CrossFit HQ before the fall out between the parties. I love his sense of humour and this book is full of it I'm glad to say. If it is your first inroads into the paleolithic/stone age paradigm then its a good place to start. You have the science parts if you can stomach the reading or you can cut to the chase! Robb in his writing style is happy for you to do either.
Much like when I discovered the crossfit community my eyes have been opened to new effective ways of thinking regarding nutrition. I'm 37 days into this lifestyle having been a zone diet follower. I'm 5'9, 35 year old male who trains in crossfit 4-5 times a week and have gone from:
164lbs to 157lbs
Lean mass has stayed the same at 137lbs (after tweaking protein amounts early on)
Body fat went from 16.7% to 12.5%

The removal of dairy resulted in my flaky scalp clearing up. I've gone from 33 inches to 31.5 on my waist. I'm in the process of getting my blood work results and I would have liked to have posted those here to drop the bomb on how what is in most circles would be classed as a high fat diet in terms of my intake. Wake up people... it is excessive consumption of refined carbs not FAT in your diet that is causing so many problems. My body is fuelled more by fat (primarily monunsaturated fat) than carbs yet I'm fit as a fiddle and I know my cholesterol levels are going to fly in the face of the current medical and nutrition dogma! This stuff is the closest anyone is going to get to the fountain of youth!