5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Thai curry paste.
Published on 3 May 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not hot enough with only 60g
I bought this having been unable to source a good paste in Cyprus as here,to get the 'heat', you had to add so much paste which made it very salty.
Published 20 months ago by Jackie

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Thai curry paste., 3 May 2011
This review is from: Thai Taste Green Curry Paste in Tub 400 g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
This is my all time favourite curry paste...Thai, or otherwise. It's a product I used frequently when it was freely available in supermarkets, but more recently I'd found it very difficult to source, and had been using other brands of paste. They ranged between "OK" and "good", but none were of the same standard as this paste in my opinion, and during one afternoon of very foul weather, in which my thoughts had turned to food (the two are quite often linked...in my brain, anyway), I set out to find it on-line. I was delighted to find it on a couple of web-sites, but less than delighted with the delivery charges which accompanied it. When I came across it on the Amazon site, not only was there the usual free delivery option, but I could get 3 pots for less than £8.00...now on offer at £6.32, so even more of a bargain. What a happy bunny I was!
The amount suggested yields around 8 curries per pot if you're going to follow the instructions, so that's very good value, and once opened, the remainder stays very fresh in the fridge inside the lidded pot. That apart, I would still buy it if it weren't such good value, as it's an absolute favourite in our house and I'm thrilled to have rediscovered it. It's a great standby for a speedy meal, and you don't have to sacrifice quality and flavour to do it, so it's on the menu again and again, getting a rapturous reception from family and friends alike at every appearance.
I do, however, tweak the recipe a little. I've tried it with tinned coconut milk, and coconut cream, but the one I use most regularly is a combination of grated creamed coconut from a block, along with creme fraiche (amounts to your own taste, obviously),rather than a tin of coconut milk....that's because I find I can get a thicker sauce, which I prefer. I also lightly saute some chopped onion before browning the chicken, adding a chopped yellow pepper sometimes, which bulks it out a bit and adds to the flavour. A handful of frozen peas tossed in when it's nearly cooked, or a drained, small tin of sweetcorn, also works well if you're not going for an authentic version...it's such good value, you can afford to experiment! Although we enjoy all types of curries,(and I have been known to do the whole spice grinding, meat marinating rigmarole on lots of occasions), this tends to be the only one I make now as it hits the right spot every time. We love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best curry paste ever!, 25 Oct 2010
Thanks to this curry paste, I can eat Thai curries like in Thailand. The flavours are subtle and authentic. This is by far the best curry paste ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 25 Jan 2012
The only reason why I gave it four stars instead of five is the fact that it is not as spicy as you'd normally expect green curry to be. You are probably better off doubling up the amount of paste you add to your curry to make it really spicy. Other than that - it's great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not hot enough with only 60g, 16 Feb 2013
I tried this brand tonight and had to say I was a bit disappointed. They recommend 60g and I put about 100g in (lived in Thailand so used to hot dishes!)and added 2 chillies - the result was VERY mild! Having said that, I think I can afford to probably triple/quadruple the recommended amount and it will not be salty. I also think the flavours will emerge more, as it smelt lovely when cooking out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 13 Feb 2014
J. M. F. Hill "gobz" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
as another reviewer said `it`s salty and doesn`t have that fragrant flavour that it should etc` forget this, there are plenty of better alternatives

1.0 out of 5 stars Give this a miss, 31 Aug 2013
T. Loveland (Winchester UK) - See all my reviews
I'm pretty sure this is the same product that was labelled as "Authentic Thai" a few years ago. They obviously got in to trouble because authentic it aint.
This is the product which is stocked by the major supermarkets. I previously told my girlfriend to NEVER buy this. She forgot and we had a bland Green Curry this evening.
Your safest bet for buying curry paste is to purchase from Chinese supermarkets - I've never had a problem with the PROPER authentic stuff, and it's far more reasonably priced.
Which is more than I can say for the "Thai Taste" brand bland rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Salt paste, 25 April 2013
Matthew Flinn "Matt" (Edinburgh/London UK) - See all my reviews
Pretty bad paste - you have to add so much of it to get any flavour that it ends up super salty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely curry paste, 14 April 2013
I always use this in my Thai green curries and it tastes great. The tub is enough for 5 or 6 family meals (depending on how spicy you like it) and so is great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those who like it mild, 23 Oct 2012
I can't handle chillies. Even smelling my partners chilli soup had me rushing to the door, crying like a baby. The thing is though that I do really like the flavours of Thai curry, so when I decided to make a Thai prawn curry I wanted a paste that wasn't too hot.
Thai Taste Curry Paste comes packed in a plastic bag that's stuffed into the plastic tub. The sell by date on my tub was July 2014, so no issues with having to use it in a hurry, also it can be refrigerated for one month or frozen for up to six months after being opened. The plastic bag makes handling easy, I just cut the corner and squeezed out what I wanted to use which was one tablespoon (about 20grams). I added a little more towards the end of cooking and I'd suggest that 40grams would have been perfect for me, but for those of you who like a hotter curry, then I'd go with 60 - 80 grams of this stuff.

For the sake of full disclosure, I didn't buy my tub from Amazon, but the quality of the product is good enough to make me want to write this review.

I'll just add a little addendum saying that I used 400ml of coconut milk and 250ml of fish stock to my 4-person curry, which would have also cooled it down a bit. Like I said, I can't handle chillies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really authentic curry paste, 18 Sep 2012
It is great to find a really authentic, made in Thailand, Thai curry paste available from Amazon. It is easy to use and I find the recipe works fine. I like the tip about using chicken thighs. The Thai Taste curry kits are good too if you are in a hurry.