About 5 years ago Jerry Lee Lewis marked his 70th year with the incredibly good `Last Man Standing Special Edition' album. Since then I have been eagerly awaiting some form of follow up, which has at last arrived.

Published on 29 Oct. 2010 by Victor

3.0 out of 5 stars Country and Western - Boring
Well! If C & W is your bag then you might enjoy this offering but, if its the "killer" your expecting, then don`t bother. Has Jerry finally rocked off his zimmer?? Hope not!!
Published on 5 Oct. 2010 by Logical Lad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Old Man, Jerry Lee Lewis - Lewis shows that he is still rockin' his life away!, 29 Oct. 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)

Pretty much following the format of the aforementioned `Last Man Standing', Lewis has chosen a set of mostly well known standards and remade them in his own inimitable way, with the help of a range of guest stars.

Lewis may be 75, but he still seems full of the vim and vigour that made him the hardest rocker of his generation. The piano work may be a bit slower and less frenzied (as well as the vocals), but he manages to stamp authority all over the record, and makes every track on it his own. The guests are given no leeway - they either keep up with Lewis or fade away. This makes it one of the more successful duet albums I have heard. Mostly the guests have sufficient power to battle with Lewis on his own terms, but none of them manage to overcome him. This is his show, and no-one is allowed to forget it!

The tone is a little more reflective than the earlier album. He still regrets nothing, but he is at least now acknowledging the march of time and that he is now getting old. The material allows Lewis to look back at his life and give an accurate account of what he has done and who he is now. But forget all the deep stuff, it is also a record jam packed with foot stomping country rock'n'roll which is a thoroughly entertaining listen. I find that once the record has finished I automatically punch repeat, a sign of a great album for me.

There are some great guests on here, the standout is Solomon Burke's performance. Sadly he died not long after this was released, but it is a great coda to his illustrious career. The standout track for me has to be Kris Kristoffersn's `Sunday Morning Coming Down', a tale of the day after the night before that Lewis sings with such conviction based on his own experience that you almost hold your head in sympathy.

A cracker of an album. Very accessible, slower paced than one might expect, but with occasional fireworks as Lewis lets rip. A must for any lover of rock `n' roll, or country. Five stars no hesitation. And can we have another one soon please?

5.0 out of 5 stars KILLER, 24 Mar. 2011
Dangerous Dave (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
I own up to being a lifetime JLL fan who buys most of his albums (and who's almost given up on any music critic taking him seriously). I kind of liked "Last Man Standing" but Jerry didn't half look old in the videos and the music was a bit of a mix; the odd great one, some half-way decent, and several ones, considerably less so.

This one trounces it every which way! They seemed to have learned all the right lessons. It's simply jam packed with marvellous stuff - "Miss the Mississippi" is worth the admission price on its own. Overall, the material has been thoughtfully chosen and sympathetically realised.

On the basis of this album, Jerry Lee is almost as good as he thinks he is and you can't say that of much of his stuff since the Sun days. (And I feel entitled to say that because I've probably bought virtually all of it anyway. And I also concede that there are some honourable exceptions)

But I'm not going to single out tracks. That's already been beautifully done by Victor. I'd merely like to ask, why didn't this album wipe the floor in the Americana sections for "best of 2010" in Uncut and Mojo?

...and I'm certainly very looking forward to the next as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
Having seen some very critical reviews of this album I still decided to order it because I've long been an admirer of Jerry Lees' music - both rock and country.

As expected, Jerry Lees voice is no longer as strong as in his heyday but he still sings better than most of todays "stars!" His playing is as good as always and he album is well worth purchasing in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Old Man, 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
This is a great CD. Only a couple of rockers on the disc but some super country songs. Sunday Morning Comin Down is much slower than Johnnie Cash`s version but brillant. Swingin Doors with Merle Haggard is also a highlight. Hey if Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Cheryl Crowe and other guest singers were prepared to record with the Killer then I for one am only too pleased to be listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jerry Lee Lewis - Mean Old Man, 2 Nov. 2010
Richard P. Turner (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
Some superb Country and Blues orientated standards put together by one of the Kings of Country with a bunch of great rockers & country kings and queens. His days as one of the Rock 'n' Roll Kings may be drawing to a close, but the odd more laid back rocker can still be achieved. Lets hope this is not the last edition - the opinion of a fan of over 50 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatness, 13 Oct. 2010
K. E. Holton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mean Old Man (18 Track Int'l Version) (MP3 Download)
It's not often someone who is expected to produce perfection for his fan's brings a album out. As with his last album 'Last Man Standing' there are other artists on this album and 'Mean Old Man' manages to the most to make you forget that there are other artists on the cd!
Jerry Lee is now 75 and still producing great albums I want a new album already I expect that there is more to release from the various sessions that this album was compiled from.
Some will not like the Kid Rock and Slash input on 'Rockin my life away' but hey if it helps get Jerry a few more fan's then I'm ok with that.
The slower tracks like 'I really don't want to know' 'Hold you in my arms' 'Sunday morning coming down' are just fantastic you really feel that Jerry has lived the songs.
You also hear the vulnerable Jerry Lee in 'Miss the Mississippi and you' which is Jerry and piano. Awe inspiring stuff.
Of the stones songs 'Dead flowers' is the best.
Whisky river really works well with the tempo change kickin it on.
Talkin of tempo I love the tempo and rhythm of 'Will the circle be unbroken' works so well, which I will allow to forgive that there is no piano and Mavis staples finishes the song!
The other religious song 'Railroad to heaven' I'm not so sure of with maybe too much input from the Late Soloman Burke.
Other tracks are more than fine and the whole album has a nice relaxed feel to it.
5 out of 5 from me I maybe biased as a long time Lewis fan but I love this album Jerry still showing he has it in him even in his seventies!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than I was expecting..., 11 Oct. 2010
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
I'm not a fan of Slash and Kid Rock but their track "Rockin' My Life Away" is for the me the best and most rocking track on this record and they both seem to embody the spirit of Jerry Lee in his prime. You could say the same about Jagger and Richards but I didn't think that the two Stones country songs that Jerry Lee covers with Mick and Keef worked as well as the traditional country songs he sings and I preferred the title track recorded with Ronnie Wood. However, the record is a lot better than I thought it would be, both the few rock and roll tracks such as "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Bad Moon Rising" and the country songs like "Swinging Doors", "Whiskey River" and "I Really Don't Want To Know".

Jerry's voice isn't as strong as it was but that adds a certain vunerability to his singing, whereas his piano playing seems as strong as ever. I thought that the gospel tracks were particulary affecting, I loved the duet with the late Solomon Burke on "Railroad to Heaven". Despite the all the all-star cast including Ringo Starr, John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Shelby Lynne and Tim McGraw etc. etc, I thought that the two tracks Jerry does on his own "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "Miss The Mississippi and You" were as good as anything here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Machine, 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
This is a similar offering to the last Jerry Lee album, "Last Man Standing". At least the studio saw fit to release it without a campaign by fans this time round. The legendary status of the artists with whom Jerry Lee creates these tracks indicates the level of respect with which he is regarded among other musicians. Of course, he is no longer the Killer he once was, and this is evident on a handful of weak efforts ("You Are My Sunshine" doesn't quite cut the mustard, for instance), but there is some great stuff on this cd. Jerry Lee has one of the finest country singing voices ever and there a couple of good rockin' tunes on here too. Long may he keep pounding the piano!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's My Party and I'll Fly High If I Want To, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
As the Last Man Standing continues his quest to live forever comes a new CD which coninues the theme.
Apparantly many of the sessions were only issued on DVD including a duet with Tom Jones.
This of course is the business.Maybe the real King of Rock'n'Roll who knows?
Criticise the Killer at your expense because if he finds out he'll have you

5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Old Man, 9 July 2013
G. Hadfield "GH Bolton" (Bolton, Gtr Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mean Old Man (Audio CD)
First class album and so pleased I purchased this product. Roll back the years and then come forward. Excellent vocals and support - You will love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›