5.0 out of 5 stars Martina has got it back!!
I always buy Martinas books on the day they come out- and I must say the last 3 have been disappointing to say the least and I have sworn in my reviews I wont purchase another but I still do - and boy am I glad I did!

Theres the old Martina back in this book! I related to the characters in a way I havent been able to do for ages. Basically its the story of a...
Published on 16 Oct 2010 by Ms. S. King

3.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement, but not the Martina of old
Martina Cole used to be one of my favourite authors until recently. Hard Girls was an awful read and The Business was even worse. I was convinced that Martina Cole had lost her skill however I am pleased to see that maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Don't get me wrong, this book was not in the league of the books from her early days such as Ladykillers, but...
Published on 20 Oct 2010 by Best Crime Books

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sep 2014
Great read

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight improvement, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
Well, it's a slight improvement on her previous 2 books, although still far too much "padding out" to fill pages. And I also am wondering if Martina is on some sort of commission for the use of the phrases "belly full of arms and legs" and "skulduggery". Does anyone EVER use these phrases apart from Martina in her own little "gangsta" universe?? I'm afraid if I ever heard these used in the real world I'd just fall into helpless giggles :-)

But maybe Martina could now continue the trend of improvement and get back to some good writing.

Here's hoping

5.0 out of 5 stars Martina is back on form, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Family (Paperback)
I enjoyed Martina Cole's earlier work but like others have mentioned I feel that the last couple of books have been a real disappointment. However, The Family does not disappoint - it is a welcome return to the Martina Cole that we know and love. The story has some great characters and is full of twists and turns which makes it a real page turner. The short chapters make it an easy read. I was a little bit disappointed with the ending but it didn't spoil the overall enjoyment of the book for me. This is Martina back on form. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Mrs v, 2 Jan 2011
Clair Vout - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
I have read all Martina's books and to be honest was disappointed by the last few books...but The Family is back to old Martina Cole. I really enjoyed this book and read it all at once, i couldn't put it down. I wouldn't say the story is gripping but you do find yourself wrapped in the heart of the family.

If you have been disappointed by the last books of Martina and decided you wouldn't buy any more, I would say give it a go you will be pleasantly surprised.

3.0 out of 5 stars THE FAMILY, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
MARTINA COLE HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE AUTHOUR FOR YEARS SHE BRINGS A BOOK OUT EVERY YEAR NEAR MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO READ THEM BUT THE LAST TWO YEARS SHES LOSING THE GRITINESS THE HORROR AND THE WOW FACTOR THEY ARE STILL GOOD STORIEAS BUT IT FEELS LIKE SHES JUST FILLING UP THE PAGES WARBLING BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THIS ABOUT MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR I'M SORRY MARTINA BUT HTIS JUST ISN'T A GREAT BOOK LIKE THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great!, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
This was much more Martina's style. But like others I think this could have been great! The ending was great but the things that happened could have come earlier and then it would have been more gripping. Also, the main character could have got stronger sooner as she was starting to annoy me!!!

I LOVE Martina and feel that this is better that her recent stuff but felt that it could have been great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar story........., 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
For many years I have been an avid reader of Martina Cole. The last couple of books were remarkably similar but still difficult to put down. I have given the benefit of the doubt and bought The Family on release. I am so disappointed that the story line is also similar and predictable. Martina must up her game if she wishes to remain a top seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars She's back!, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Family (Kindle Edition)
Martina Cole is back on track with her latest novel The Family. I couldn't put this down (unlike the previous 2 novels, which I did infact put down and not go back to, and I hate doing that), it had me hooked from the beginning to the end. You know you've read a good book when you keep thinking about the characters long after you've finished the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly better than last years, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
unfortunately martina cole seems to be struggling for ideas.
her books were so riveting that i couldnt wait for the next one to be released, but the last three or four years have been a disappointment, however The Family does seem to be an improvement even though the characters just seem to jump from one book to another just with different names.

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›