5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive
I am a sports photographer and as such I do need a SD card which can keep up with me shooting at high speed without the buffer getting full or the card not being fast enough. Its always the best shoots that you seem to miss when the buffer fills or the card fails.

Published on 23 Jan 2011 by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm does the job!
Took a chance with this as reviews were good swapped it with an extreme scan disk sdhc (10) speed.... and it was slower, not a million miles slower but slower. it has been on 2 shoots with me in my backup camera and not let me down, good value for money
Published 18 months ago by LeeLee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 23 Jan 2011
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung MB-SP8GEU 8GB SDHC PLUS Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was very presently surprised with this card. I tested the card at a Northampton Town Yth v Southend United Yth game in a Nikon D90. I alternated between that camera and my DŁ so as to cover myself if the card failed. I need not of worried as it coped well.

I would say that you do need a camera buffer which can cope with the shots at 6 fames per second as even if the card can cope the camera buffer will fill and you will be in limbo not being able to take images whilst the buffer sends the info to the card so to test the SD card properly you do need a camera with a decent fast buffer. I would suggest that the Nikon D90, D3000, D7000 and D700 in the Nikon range and the Higher end Canons and Sony's should fit the bill here.

I first tested the card with taking shots of RAW images of the players initially. These are very large files of 11-13 megabytes and as such you are transferring a lot of image data with each shot and this will slow down the camera. Notwithstanding the buffer and card were allowing 7 images in bursts to be taken and whilst this meant I could not take more than 7 shots continuously without the camera slowing in RAW mode for portraits that was pretty impressive and not far behind the Flashcards I use in my high-end Nikon D3.

The smaller the images you are taking the faster the buffer and SD card work and from large Jpegs I got 17 images in the buffer before the camera slowed and a very impressive 31 in small image mode where in effect I rarely had the slow camera buffer problem. Downside to this is that the images being smaller 2-4 mgs meant that they had limited use for large images but all in all since most people are looking to put their images on the likes of Flickr, Facebook or websites this is more than adequate.

All in all I was impressed and would certainly consider these alongside the Lexar and sanDisks I am using. the only test I could not perform is that of longevity. I will however, update the review after a few months of use and over the longer term.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pro Spec SDHC Card At An Everyday Price, 30 Dec 2010
S. Pearson - See all my reviews
As a pro photographer, I am always on the look out for reliable kit and nothing needs to be more reliable in today's digital age than your memory device. Here Samsung have lifted the benchmark. These cards are truly superb cards. Reliable and fast. I completely recommend them to you and at this price they represent a great deal, especially when compared against my old favourite Lexar.

5.0 out of 5 stars small but strong, 26 Jan 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the standard size SD card, but is said to be far more sturdy than the average SD card.

The company boasts that the card is epoxy coated and will stand up to:

- emersion in water
- x-rays
- magnetism
- damage from dust
- bumping and banging
- twisting and bending
- heat
- cold
- can take the average weight of an adult
- is designed to stand up to 50G (gravitational pull)

I have no intention of testing most of these even though the SD card comes with a 10 year warranty and if it does go wrong I will be contacting Samsung for assistance.

It does not come with the usual a protective case, but if you have cases from other cards you can swap your cards over as you use them.

The information with the card states that it stores 8 GBs of information meaning 2000 photos, 2 hours of HD video and 140 hours of music. Strangely when I put it in my camera (Kodak Easy Share M341 - Kodak M341 12 Megapixel Digital Camera - Silver) and checked it gave me 3471 photo spaces on the card (not including the internal memory of the camera), but only gave me 80 minutes video capability - I don't use SD cards for music so I can't comment on that.

I took 150 photos with this card and 150 with the Kodak 8GB (Kodak 8GB SD Card - Class 2) I usually use - I then timed the download and the Samsung was 28 seconds faster - that's nearly 2 second per photograph faster than the Kodak one..

This appears to be a step forward for SD cards, a strong resistant card that can store your photographs and videos until you download them onto your computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely sturdy SD card, 25 Jan 2011
TheLibrarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have not used Samsung's cards before, but I am very impressed with this one so far. It stores a ton of photos (I didn't manage to fill up the card when testing it!) and it was very quick uploading the photos to my computer. I was also impressed with how sturdy and solid this card looks. Memory cards always worry me as they are so expensive, but often seem rather fragile. This card actually looks like it could cope with the occasional accident or mishap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty card with a decent capacity., 24 Jan 2011
Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an 8Gb Samsung SDHC memory card, and there's not really a great deal more to say about it. As you would expect, it works absolutely perfectly. I took around a hundred photographs this evening, and transferred them to my PC quickly and without any problems at all. A card with this capacity should comfortably hold over 2,000 photos, so it is ideal for longer breaks such as a summer holiday when there is limited (if any) opportunity to download photos from the card.

Samsung's marketing for this card concentrates on its durability, boasting on the packaging that it is waterproof, shock-proof, dust-proof, x-ray-proof, and magnet-proof. The item certainly seems to be rather sturdier and better made than most cards of this nature, and while I have never had one fail in the past, it is re-assuring to know that the unit should stand up to any treatment it is likely to be subjected to.

To summarise, it will do exactly what it's designed to do, and as such I can not fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory card, 26 Jan 2011
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am using this with a Kodak waterproof handheld video camera, and I have to say this is amazing quality for a pretty good price!

According to the spec it is indestructible - although to be honest how many people have broken a memory card? But reassuring to know that it has a 10 year guarantee.
It is pretty quick too - with the sorts of speed of upload we have only had with much more expensive SD cards (although I think "extreme speed" could be slightly misleading!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A tough nut to crack but speedy resiliant and above all fast!, 26 Jan 2011
K. D. Squire (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Samsung have pushed the bar up quite considerably with this memory card, Its practically indestructable and if you did theres a 10 year warrenty and probably a prize! Its durability does not mean that its sacrificed on its capabilities. The 8 gb will hold what ever you want in large amounts. Its speedy too with higher in average dowload speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Raspberry Pi, 26 Jun 2012
I've been looking for a good card to use with the Raspberry Pi mini-computer and this works very well. It's class 6, which is quite fast (and there have been some reported issues with class 10 cards), has a metal effect backing which makes it look nice attached to the Pi and is a little bit tougher than the normal plastic SD cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars samsung memory card, 19 Feb 2012
D. H. Caine "dcainey" (crewe,cheshire,uk.) - See all my reviews
item was well packed,arrived on time,good val;ue and works well,and i was very relieved item was secured at factory in bubble cage and cardboard packaging to stop any tampering...

5.0 out of 5 stars k=keshu, 3 Feb 2012
the item is very strong and durable the item is very compact does the job you want I would recommend this product to purchase

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›