5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Good!
Published on 31 Mar. 2008 by T. Gore

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but overpriced and unreliable
Published on 21 Oct. 2008 by M. P. Fenech

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Good!, 31 Mar. 2008
T. Gore "Tim Gore" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little radio! First it looks fantastic (every one who's seen it likes it), feels exteremly well made and most importantly sounds excellent. It is of course possible to buy the additional speaker for this if you want to get a stereo sound but personally I haven't bothered. The quality and volume of the sound as it is is excellent and one of the radio's key features is how neat it looks on it's own.

The radio can be powered by AC or a separately available rechargeable battery and can receive Digital or FM broadcasts. It also has a line in socket (for plugging an ipod/MP3 player into) and a line out socket for plugging into a hi-fi as well as a headphone socket. There's also more features on it than I had expected e.g., various display options you can get when in digital mode.

I'd read up quite a bit on digital before I plumped for this and what I'd read had stalled me a bit. First that, surprisingly, the digital broadcast was supposed to be of lesser quality than a normal FM broadcast (if you know about bitrates then FM is equivalent to about 192kbps whereas digital is usually at best 128kbps). The other more worrying thing was that although digital radio has been pushed heavily of late, in fact the UK is out on a limb a bit in that we are using an old digital format (DAB) and most of the rest of the world have gone with the newer DAB+ format which allows a higher broadcasting quality. This may not sound too much of a problem but, yes, you've guessed it, the current DAB radios won't be able to pick up DAB+! It's not clear yet though when the government will decide when we go with the new format, considering how many people have now bought radios on the old format!!

I can however still very much recommend that you buy one of these despite the points above because 1.) to me the DAB audio still sounds better than the FM audio (and I'm fussy about these things) and 2.) the digital formats aren't likely to change for some time and until they do you'll enjoy a very good radio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoke 1S, 13 Nov. 2010
Well....I took a long time deciding on this radio. I have never had DAB radio but currently have a silly arrangement of two analogue transistor radios by my bed, so I can listen to one station in the night then wake up in the morning and listen to a different one without having to re-tune. Messy, I know, but it worked for me.
Until one of the radios broke....
So I decided to treat myself to DAB and have one with pre-sets so I would only need one radio on the bedside table.
Some of the reviews I read on this site and many others put me off a bit (time display being faulty, lots of bass sound, volume problems, case not fitting properly etc). Also, should I go the whole hog and get the next model up or even the evoke 3 ???
In the end, I thought £77 was worth a punt and that all I wanted was basic radio and a clock on it.
Ordered it Friday, received it today (Saturday) on free super-saver delivery.....
All I can say is, if it helps anyone out there, I have found it staggeringly simple to set up, it sounds great, I live in a valley but am getting 100% digital reception, it looks lovely and I know I'm probably a philistine but to me the sound quality seems just right....not bassy at all, and certainly better than what I was getting on my FM/MW transistor radio.
Hay, I might even treat myself to the battery pack in case I want to take the radio around with me, but at the mo, it's perfect and needs nothing else.
If you're put off by the negative aspects that several people seemed to have mentioned, I'd say risk it if you just want a nice little radio. If you want bells and whistles, maybe buy the next one up.
I like it anyway :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DABS Radio!, 23 Jan. 2010
MsMeg (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I received this DAB radio as a Christmas present and I am really pleased with it. It's well made, fairly compact with a sleek and pleasing 'retro' look. The instruction manual has clear instructions and made for an easy, first-set up. It is easy to use and has an energy-saving, standby function, which displays the time when not in use (very useful). The radio automatically tunes into the available DAB stations and up to 30 radio stations can be stored in its pre-set buttons. The sound of the radio is really clear and has a good balance of treble & bass tones.

I am really delighted with this radio as I now have more radio stations to choose from, all of which are perfectly tuned - no more horrible crackling, bad reception & white noise!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I really love my little radio, 4 Dec. 2008
On the recommendation of a friend I picked up a DAB radio to have some music to listen to with the girlfriend in bed. This one sounded good, so I picked it up with the internal rechargeable battery suggested by another reviewer.

It's really great. I turn it on as soon as I wake up, carry it into the bathroom, then upstairs for breakfast. Listen to it beside the computer, in bed, in the park, it's been such a little boost to my life with its multitude of channels, great sound quality, portability and ease of use.

OK, it's just a handy little radio, but still I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but overpriced and unreliable, 21 Oct. 2008
M. P. Fenech - See all my reviews
I have been using this model now for seven months,and apart from only getting about fifteen channels, when I thought I would get dozens as it's digital I am still quite pleased with it.But what really made me sit down and write this review is that I had to send it back today as it started playing up which does happen, (but you do get a two year warranty).Unfortunately you have to send it back to pure at your expense which is not cheap as you need to insure it as well for peace of mind. If you buy it from amazon like I did they will only exchange it within six months after which you will have to send it back to pure. Bear that in mind if you are buying one (it's a lot easier taking it back to a local store) under pures two year warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evoke-1s: As Expected, 1 Oct. 2010
I bought this radio on the basis of a favourable Which? report. It is as they describe - a good little portable with easy programming and programme selection, but the sound is not completely clear (not Pure??). Reception is good throughout the house unlike with the FM radio it replaced. Annoyances: 1. The on/off button is small and similar to the channel buttons, so it is easy to mistake and hard to find in the dark, 2. The volume setting reverts to the same level each time it is powered up and you have to wait until the selected channel has tuned before you can adjust the sound level; given that (as with all digital radios) there is a 10 - 15 sec delay after pressing the on switch before the channel, this is irritating. The rechargeable battery (an extra) seems good, but I wonder who would want to buy a small portable radio without it as you cannot use any other sort of battery; I think this is a gimmick to give a lower headline price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoke 1s, 18 Aug. 2009
Read all the reviews for the Pure Evoke 1s & quite rightly it does exactly as it says on the tin. Quality is superb & stereo is available via the headphone socket.The display is green OLED it's so easy to read at any viewing angle.You can also choose display auto-dim or manually set the brightness(brilliant for unobtrusiveness while using in the bedroom to avoid waking up the "other half").I opted to purchase the "battery-pak" (also from Amazon) this is most useful for portable listening (no leads/wires).My only gripe is it's a tadge expensive.I've chosen the cherry veneer instead of the usual maple. Personal preference really.Again another brilliant speedy service from Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if expensive, 19 Jan. 2011
Tim (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This radio isn't cheap, but is of a high quality. Reception is excellent for me, with no need to extend the antenna at all.

The (fake) wood styling is pleasing on the eye, although the front panel seems a little cluttered. The buttons are all well laid out, though, and it is good to have a number of preset buttons (which many DAB radios seem not to have). Having to press the rotary scroll button in to select a station is a little unintuitive, and can require a second hand to be used to steady the radio. I only discovered by accident that pressing in the volume button mutes the sound; again, not very obvious just from looking at it.

The OLED screen is very crisp, and can be set to dim automatically at night (to a very low level). It does, however, brighten briefly every hour or so, for no obvious reason (presumably a bug in the firmware). Alternatively, the display can be set to be off completely in standby, which may be good for light sleepers.

When first turning on from standby, I get a "signal lost" message for a few seconds, before the radio picks up the last station again. This seems to be another software bug.

The sound quality is quite acceptable, although it's obviously not going to better a decent hifi.

Pure's website offers firmware updates; however, the version on offer on the website appears to be much older than that installed on the radio already. The PDF user manual on the website also seems not to relate to the software currently being shipped (various menu options in the manual are not present on my radio).

One further niggle is that the mains transformer emits a quite loud, very high-pitched whine (above my wife's hearing range, but within mine). Since it is in our bedroom, I have ended up wrapping a towel around the transformer. This could be a fault with my particular transformer, but it doesn't seem serious enough to get a replacement. Annoying though.

So, bar a few gremlins in the software (which might one day be fixed by a firmware update, but I won't be holding my breath), this is a nice radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Dec. 2007
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this radio 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it.
Firstly I think is very well priced and looks almost as good as the £200 models ( that can be a bit too small ).

Secondly the cherry finish looks stilish and makes any room look good.

The sound is a good as it can get with digital radio and can fill a big room without distorsion. You can program it to wake you up in the morning with your favorite station ( has 2 types of wake up mode weekdays and weekends ) , the brightness settings can be adjusted to night time.

The power sourse looks cheap and ugly so I invested £25 on a Pure VL-60924 ChargePAK E1 battery which are long lasting rechargable and you do not need to take them out as they recharge from the power supply.

In summary this is the best digital radio for under £100 with a classic look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DAB radio but bit expensive, 8 Dec. 2007
I have my Evoke S1 for over a month now and am please with it.
Good points are:
1. Access to 25 radio stations
2. Sound quality is great. There is no hissing etc even at minimum volume level. A previous review mention there is but I can not hear any DAB interference and I live in a poor FM/TV reception area.
3. Setup is all done automatically e.g. tuning & time setting.
4. FM reception is also great in case your local station does not broadcast DAB.
5. The 'new' display is very clear compared to the previous model.

Not so great points:
1. Slightly too much bass? I think ... :)
2. A separate speaker is required for stereo effect.
3. Quite expensive for just a radio