5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jacquot yet
"Blood Counts" sucks you in from the very first paragraph and it was only sheer tiredness at the end of the day that forced me to put it down. I picked it up again as soon as I woke up.

Published on 24 Nov 2010 by Michael Cole

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding and predictable
This is detective fiction by the (primary) numbers. Any reader with half a brain will spot the killers and the link between the murders well before Jacquot, who must be up there with the dimmest policemen in print. The murders are all presented in the same way: someone going about his/her everyday business, suddenly twigging that something is not quite right, then dying...
Published on 30 Aug 2011 by Sideshow Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jacquot yet, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)

I've read all the Jacquot novels and each book has improved on the previous one. This one is pacy, descriptive, consuming and you can smell the wild origani of the south of France. There is no predictability here and you're kept on tenterhooks right to the end with some nasty surprises.

I'd recommend this to anybody, young and old, because as soon as you've read it you're going to want to buy the previous five. Fantastic value for those who love a good detective novel and this particular detective drinks Calvados in the mornings (very French!), smokes, enjoys a joint from time to time and has a really interesting girlfriend. He solves cases too. This is not a dull man.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form!, 14 Nov 2010
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
I must admit I didn't much care for the previous Jacquot book which just happened to be based totally in Marseilles. Perhaps it's no coincidence that this one, most of which is set around Cavaillon, is much much better. With the word 'vengeance' on the cover and the word 'Corsica' on the second page, you get the idea of what's to come and although much of it is predictable, I found it engrossing and finished it in three days. My wife says if I read a book upstairs and downstairs, it must be good! I do maintain there are better crime writers around but you do get a bit fed up with the hard-drinking, divorced, angst-ridden British detective after a while so it's good to go back to one who sits outside a small cafe with a ciggie and a drink - for breakfast!!! And then sits outside in the garden with a glass of something cold, insects buzzing, the sun going down over the Luberon. You're there!! Great stuff - I long for more. If you haven't tried Jacquot yet, you're missing a well-kept secret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently Good Books, Highly Recommended Detective Series, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blood Counts (Inspector Daniel Jacquot) (Kindle Edition)
The Dying Minutes (Jacquot 7)was my introduction to Martin O'Brien's detective series set in the south of France. It's one of those where I enjoyed the whole journey from beginning to end, not wanting the book to finish; the quality of the writing rich and descriptive, the characters well-developed and real, the plot carefully constructed and delivered, the sense of place atmospheric and the scattering of delicious sounding food dishes - all made this a pure joy to read.

On finishing the book I immediately purchased Blood Counts (Jacquot 6) but was worried it might not be as good as The Dying Minutes. And so I delayed reading it. But I had no reason to worry at all - Blood Counts is every bit as good as The Dying Minutes. I read it in a few days and went straight to the Kindle store to find that most of O'Brien's Jacquot series are less than 3 (at time of writing). So I bought the ones I hadn't read and have started the series from the beginning, with The Waterman.

And it looks like O'Brien's writing is consistently excellent as The Waterman is a pure joy to read too.

I have to say that the Jacquot series is one of the best in crime fiction I have read and can only wonder how I haven't discovered these books when they were first written.

All Highly recommended!

Here are the books in order but you're not spoiling anything by reading them out of order. I certainly haven't.

The Waterman (2005)
The Master (2007)
The Fifteen (2008)
The Angel (2005)
Confession (2010)
Blood Counts (2011)
The Dying Minutes (2012)

Now looking forward with excitement to the 2013 Jacquot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastique!, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
Martin O'Brien just gets better and better. If you have never read any of his books, read this one and you will be totally hooked! After the first few pages, you are drawn into Jacquot's world and find yourself soaking up every little detail. Martin continues to develop his characters and never fails to please. I found it hard to put this book down and it could possibly be his best yet. When you get to the end, you just know it's not the end but the beginning of the next instalment - the closing line leaves you wanting the next book......NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 4 Aug 2011
mrs "I run a personal ironing service, I list... (Nr Cirencester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
As soon as you start reading you are there, the writing is so good you are actually in the story watching the action. the chapters are quite short which is helpful if you are a bedtime reader like myself and want to finish a chapter before sleep, although I fought off the sleep as long as I could. The story is so gripping that at times I have caught myself shouting No!out loud. cant wait tor the next

5.0 out of 5 stars O'Brien seals a corker, 14 Nov 2010
C. G. Draper (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
I always look forward to the release of a new Jacquot, and Blood Counts is no disappointment. Pacy, energetic, direct yet with more hidden turns than a B road through the Cevennes. I love the occasional culinary respites that immediately make you rush towards the store cupboard. Jacquot is the thinking man's king of cool, the gendarme's answer to Mikael Blomkvist. A first rate read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Counts by Martin O'Brien, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
I have to admit my bias as I really enjoy Martin O'Brien's Jacquot books. I've read them all. The way O'Brien evokes the Luberon and Provence, both in landscape, food and smells takes me right there .. one of my favourite places. That said, I couldn't help a little impatience with Jacquot for taking so long to make the connection between clues. He's the Chief Inspector, not me! However, it's a really good read and I did enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Class Act, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
I love this book. I think it is faster paced than the last, with very tight plotting. I read 'hornets nest' just prior to this, and they are to me on a par. I agree with the reviewer who said Jacquot is a refreshingly easy to be with character, and the food references and descriptions of France add richness and depth. I could read this series again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, logical police (French) procedural., 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blood Counts (Inspector Daniel Jacquot) (Kindle Edition)
All the Jacquot books are well written and interesting. I was upset that one of my favourite characters was killed off!

4.0 out of 5 stars Jaquot a bit behind the game, 28 Jan 2013
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Counts (Paperback)
This is a great series of books set in the Luberon region of France. The pace and style of life is described so well that reading a Jacquot book is like returning to your favourite holiday destination. The peaceful indolence of the lifestyle is regularly shattered by murder. 'Blood Counts' the 6th in the Jacquot series is a natural sequel to its predecessor 'Confession'. So if you have not read 'Confession' Confession best to do so and you will appreciate the pattern which emerges in 'Blood Counts'. Then like me you'll be yelling at Jacquot- wake up! it's obvious!, and becoming increasingly concerned that he's lost the plot!

'Blood Counts' is about revenge, revenge upon those who featured on the side of the good, in the kidnap story revealed and solved in 'Confession'. Jacquot gets the first clue of a possible connection to that crime with the first murder in this book which takes place virtually on his doorstep. He is a bit slow catching on to what is going on, even after a couple of killings. Then when he does eventually recognise the pattern, the connection, he fails again. He fails to think through who the remaining prospective targets are likely to be. He becomes so focussed on himself and his family as targets for the killer(s) that he doesn't warn others that they might get hit before he does. And they do. Come on Daniel - that is very poor indeed! I think he also missed some clear chances to intercept the killers before their work was done.

So I am not giving this a 4* score as a reward for Jacquot's skill as a detective but for Martin O'Brien's skill in ratcheting up the tension and excitement right to the bitter end. It kept me engaged all through and perversely Jacquot's flat footedness made it all the more exciting in a 'don't look now' sort of way.

My copy of the book is subtitled on the cover with the words 'Vengenance is mine' an alusion I presume to the Biblical reference 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord'. Of course had the characters in 'Blood Counts' followed this dictum there would be no story.

ARRAY(0xae9402a0)