Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 July 2012
Words cannot express the joy I felt at seeing this album for sale on Amazon, and God bless the cotton socks of the man or woman who approved the release of this on CD.

I originally bought this in 1978 and have been playing the vinyl album ever since (it's as old and knackered as I am). I had all the singles back in the day bought from Caroline Records at the bottom of Ann St Belfast. The singles got lost in the comets tale of hard partying but the album stayed with me for the intervening 34 years. I still play it and still love it.

The Cortinas were just a bunch of kids taken from every school playground in Britain ( Jeez! look at the sleeve pictures for feks sake!) but who together belted out a fabulous R&B based Punkabilly that contains a youthfulness and cheeky zest for life that is as fresh today as it was back in those dreary rain soaked 70's nights when we listened to Peel in some mates front room or while stretched out in a crappy single bed late at night dreaming dreaming dreaming of True Romance. The songs cover all the miseries and humours of being a sex mad sex terrified hormonal out of control teenager utterly in love with all those sixth form girls who were so beautiful and so utterly out of reach.

The singles are played with both barrels blasting and are indicative of the earlier punk sound and influence; The Peel session stuff is wonderful and has that roughness to it that live on the radio needs; The True Romance album shows a slight change in direction and has slightly better production values but that's fine as it showcases the great songwriting which is laced with a wry comic wit. Pop songs burst forth and are then complimented with darkly humorous takes on 70's telly.

So go on, if you're of a certain age and remember what it was like back in the day and want the perfect nostalgic blast, trust Valerie Singleton and ask Mr Waverly........................turns out he did have all the answers after all.
on 24 December 2010
Well the step forward singles are fantastic I bought them all on release. As the extensive sleeve notes say the release of heartache and true romances "proved gto be a liitle jarring to fans" indeed my copy of true romances remains unplayed all the way through to now from 1978. Worth it for the singles and the Peel sessions True romances is for tastes that I don't have.

As a side issue when I was in the Army someone I worked with claimed to be Dexter Dalwood ok he was from Bristol and one sandwich short of a picnic but I never believed him.
on 18 July 2014
I remember buying Fascist Dictator when it was first released - what a great single and fully deserving of its much applauded status as one of the best "Punk" singles from the UK. For me what distinguishes The Cortinas from a lot of bands of that time was intelligent lyrics { Jeremy Valentine ] great guitar work by Michael Fewings and quirky arrangements and song composition. True Romances [ The Cortinas only album ] displays all the latter attributes admirably. This compilation { which includes all their recorded work ] is excellent and I would advise anyone interested in those days, and indeed great music, to purchase it
on 28 April 2016