5.0 out of 5 stars Good item
I needed abit of security for my garage and after reading the reviews thought i
would give it a go,a good bit of kit for the price.Easy to install/work,my goodness
the alarm is loud!!.Would recommend for that peace of mind when you flick that switch and turn in for the night.
Published on 31 May 2012 by chris

I PURCHASED THIS ALARM 30/12/12 JUST 15MTHS OLD, IT HAS MALFUNCTIONED AND KNOW LONGER IN USE, I DONT FEEL LIKE PURCHASING A NEW ALARM FOR IT TO MALFUNCTION AGAIN IN 15/16MTHS.
Published 9 months ago by robbie mac donald

5.0 out of 5 stars Good item, 31 May 2012
This review is from: A9- DIY Wireless Weatherproof Garden, Shed, Driveway, Garage, Outbuilding Burglar Security Alarm (Electronics)
I needed abit of security for my garage and after reading the reviews thought i

5.0 out of 5 stars a9 wireless alarm, 19 Oct 2012
Very good product,has been in use a few weeks battery life seems very good,alarm sensor in the house and picks up signal in all rooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and works well, 2 Feb 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
We bought this to put next to our catflap so we are notified when our precious cat "Pepper" comes and goes. Both components look well made - the portability of the base unit makes it more attractive than the previous model we had, where it had to be plugged into the mains, although, both parts of this set have provision for mains adaptors to be plugged in, but, make sure you use the right type! We have fitted alkaline batteries into the units (C cells in the base unit and a 9V PP3 in the sensor) and have not had to replace them as yet (it's 6 months since installation). We noticed that in extreme temperatures (e.g. 4 degrees C and less) when the sensor was located in the garage next to the external catflap it didn't work, but, as soon as the temperature rose it was fine - however, the same is true of our previous unit - it could be something to do with the location or the limitations of portable PIR technology. We overcame this issue by locating the sensor inside the 2nd door between the house and garage where it works fine. A few other points that may be helpful are;

- There is the option of a chime or alarm, and, the volume of the rather raucous chime can be altered slightly by a switch which has two settings (low/high) although both are loud.
- A red LED on both the sensor and base unit also flash when the chime is activated.
- The base unit and sensor "talk" to each other out of the box - there is no channel to set etc.
- A key benefit of this set is the portability of the base unit which you can move round the house with you - the range seems significant, and, it does not interfere with radio and TV.

Overall, a competent product at an excellent price - recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 29 Nov 2012
After oil tank theft ..total loss about £1000 I wanted a 'quick fix solution' and
purchased this for driveway /oil tank area. Works well. About a 70 degrees 'rather narrow ' activation zone - have ordered 2 more PIR's from distributor to widen scanned area. You can get extra PIR's only but ensure thay are tuned to the same channel as listed on the back of your receiver unit. Amazon doesn't sell these extra PIR's but the supplier does.You can add up to 11 extra detectors if necessary.
Would recommend the product for simplicity of use and it seems effective.
I am looking for similar model that sounds an alarm at the detection point i.e
in the PIR itself.....as well as at the receiver in the house. Yet to find this.
Good transmission range . Cost of batteries incidental to potential criminal damage
in my opinion. Adaptable for various uses around and outside the house.
Would have preferred a less obvious colour than white ! beejay

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuringly alert!, 29 Jun 2013
Bought this to keep a watch on a small area near the front door of my flat, where my bins are stored, after a random drunk tried to set one alight! I am not able to see this area from a window and only have a limited view of it through a door viewer so I wanted to be alerted when someone is there.

The product felt well made when I opened the box and took the two parts out. The PIR sensor is nice and compact and it was easy to fit the 9v battery using a fine screwdriver to remove and refit the two tiny screws in the back. There is a thin, but hopefully effective rubber seal to keep moisture out of the battery area and the rest of the unit appears well made and waterproof and it has rained a lot since I installed it. It was fairly easy to fit a screw to a fence post and mount the PIR unit. (Be sure to mount out of direct sunlight, I had several false alarms due to early morning sunlight striking the PIR unit directly.)

The indoor chime/alarm unit was also easy to open with a fine screwdriver and fit the three C batteries. Of the three settings I chose chime and low, but find it a bit loud still, especially at night in a small flat, so I dampened it with a piece of tape and cloth (I don't want to disturb people in a neighbouring flat with my alarm alert at night!) In a larger home this would probably be a plus point as it would help to ensure the alert is heard in a room other than where the unit is kept. I haven't tried the alarm mode as I am not really using it in that way.

The red LEDs on the indoor unit glow brightly when the chime or alarm activate, so I am able to listen to music or films on headphones and if I keep it within view I won't miss it should it activate. The red LED on the PIR unit outside is a noticeable warning to anyone entering my property that they I have been alerted, but it is not noticeable unless someone steps inside my gate.

It was a little bit of trial and error to mount it. The first place I chose was too far from the point of entry so it missed any movement of anyone opening the gate. Mounting it on the back of the gate, so that I hoped it would activate when the gate was opened failed completely, as I assume this PIR needs to see a warm body moving around to activate. So in the end I mounted it low and to the side of one of the bins. Almost out of sight, but with a narrow but clear line of sight across the gate area. So far every entry of the postman or anyone else through that gate has been detected and the chime sounded clearly. The chime keeps sounding as long as the person stays in the line of sight of the PIR, so if someone is lurking you won't miss them!

Now that I am happy with this device in use, I will probably only have it on at night, but it has already proven to be a reliable alert of anyone outside my flat, so I can have some reassurance that should any trespasser enter in the future I will know about it. Longer term I plan to heed the comments of some other reviewers and buy rechargeable 9v and C batteries to ensure it does not become too costly. I may edit this review later to confirm battery life and longer term reliability of the two units.

EDIT (5 months later)
Well the unit is still working well and even though it is almost always on and alerts me once or twice a day to postman or other visitors it is still on the first 9v battery and first set of C batteries. (9v is Duracell, but the C's are a budget set) The PIR unit has remained waterproof and rarely produces a false alarm, when it does it is caused by the sun warming the wooden gate and it being left open by the last visitor, the movement of the gate by the wind then triggers the alarm - when the gate is cold that doesn't happen. Overall I have found this alert/alarm unit to be very reliable and not costly in terms of batteries - it is a very helpful security reassurance, but also appears to be a deterrent too. A few months ago one shading looking daytime visitor triggered the alert and when I observed them through the door viewer I saw them closing the gate before pausing briefly and then leaving and they didn't return.

Many friends and other visitors have noticed the PIR red light and commented on it, all positive, many saying how handy and reassuring it is. So now that I have used this security system for several months I would highly recommend it for similar circumstances to my own, a small area with one access point (a twin PIR system is also available for covering two access points). Just remember to place the PIR unit out of direct sunlight to avoid false alarms!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 2 April 2012
This item is excellent, just what we were looking for. We are using as alarm in shed after bikes were stolen and the sensor is good, with a strong signal to the receiver in the house. It's very loud too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to get if the dog is deaf or refuses to 'guard'., 11 Jan 2012
Our dog is a rescue and has obviously been trained not to bark. We live in the country with a long drive so are not always aware if someone has called.

We installed a security alarm attached to our burglar alarm, but it was invaded by snails and earwigs. The A9 is more robust and works amazingly well. It makes a very distinctive sound so we know someone is around. Even the dog looks interested, though seems only keen to welcome everyone.

I shall have to get a man round to steal the dog's bed or his bone, but at least we shall know when he has arrived. The A9 does exactly what it promises to do, is easy to fit, so I am told and is almost invisible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shed alarm - great piece of kit, 8 Oct 2012
I have set up this alarm system with the detector in the shed and the siren in the house. This works really well as is proved when I enter the shed without remembering to switch off the siren. The volume, adjustable, can be easily heard throughout the house and the batteries seem to be lasting well. I am thinking of getting another to warn of intruders down the side of the house. This one could be set to 'chime' to distinguish between the two systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin !, 23 Aug 2011
Mr. K. W. Evans (France) - See all my reviews
Bought this item to alert us to people coming up our drive, the sensor is located about 50 yards from the receiver and it works fine. I would definitely recommend this product as it '...does exactly what it says on the tin'.

1.0 out of 5 stars A9-DIY Wireless Weatherproof garden,shed,driveway,garage, outbuilding alarm, 12 Mar 2014