5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Possibly The Most Underrated Band of All Time
Published on 7 Nov 2010 by Steven C.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality
Great selection of songs, I'd forgotten just how many great tracks they had made. The one thing which lets the CD down is the poor sound quality with very little in the way of mid range tones to bulk out the songs, it reminds me of the quality you used to get from home cassette recordings - SHAME.
Published 12 months ago by Karina D-J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Possibly The Most Underrated Band of All Time, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
Suede were a band much like The Smiths in that there isn't this mix of good and bad songs - there were no bad songs. Period. I hate the term "Britpop" as much as Suede does because most of the bands with that moniker had a few hits and could be forgotten. Suede were original and legendary. Let's begin with the original genius of the band: Bernard Butler. When I first saw Suede in 1993, I was steps away from Bernard and he opened the show by banging out "The Next Life" on the piano while Brett's voice hauntingly echoed through the old Warfield Theatre in San Francisco. It's a pleasure that that song is included here. The music of Suede's finest crafted masterpieces were penned by Bernard Butler and this 2-CD compilation favors the Butler-penned songs more than the others. This is also a bonus.

Brett Anderson was a unique person. Very eccentric and artsy. With each album, his lyrics diminished in quality, but his voice was always wonderful. The first song I heard of Suede's was a track called "My Insatiable One", which I was turned onto when Morrissey covered it on his "Kill Uncle Tour". It was perfect in that it was inspired by one of my favorite old songs: "The Bewlay Brothers" on David Bowie's gem HUNKY DORY. Brett never really said this, and many may disagree, but when Bowie hits the highs in that song, it's quite similar. That masterpiece is also included here.

Richard Oakes was a competent replacement for Bernard Butler. How could anyone say that there was a huge drop-off in quality when you hear tracks like "Saturday Night" and "The Beautiful Ones" and "Trash"? All three of those excellent tracks are also included here. What was missing from Richard Oakes was the live performance. Bernard Butler was INSANE on stage. You couldn't catch a fleeting glimpse of his face at any point of the show as his long hair shook out of control. He was passionate, excited, and just simply went nuts. I later saw Jonny Greenwood copy this exact style, but Bernard did it first.

Matt's bass was rich and wonderful, as showcased here on "Europe In Our Playground", and Simon was a great drummer. Nothing bad you can say about his skills, as showcased on "She", also included here. You get the best singles, and there's nothing that you'd skip over like "Love The Way You Love", off SINGLES. I was actually pleased that track was left off.

I appreciate that the second disc includes non-singles and b-sides - because, as ANY real Suede fan knows, these tracks were often better than the singles! I love having "My Insatiable One" and "The Living Dead" and "The Next Life" all brilliantly remastered. All Bernard Butler tracks, all absolutely perfect.

I am such a big fan that I am going to get a bit nitpicky for a second here. I wish first that they'd have gone with the original version of "Europe In Our Playground" from the TRASH Single versus the version off "Sci-Fi Lullabies". It's a bit more organic and grandiose at the same time. I also would have opted for the original album version of "We Are The Pigs". The thing with "We Are the Pigs" is, it had that EPIC, EPIC ending! "..We'll watch them, we'll watch them, we'll watch them burn..." - which was completely hacked off of the single version included here. That song is really missing something without the epic ending, though it still features some of Bernard's best guitar work ever. Finally, I wish there would have been room for "Moving" and "This Time". Those missing makes me long for re-issues of all of the albums remastered, with a second disc of b-sides. I'm sure those album re-releases would spark a bunch of Amazon reviews by cheapos whining "I already have all of these songs", but the remastering reinvigorates these songs - giving them new life - and Suede deserve this treatment.

Nitpicking aside, this is one of the finest compilations ever, Unlike most of these "Hits" releases that focus on newer tracks and that add a throwaway new single, this compilation sharply focuses on Suede in their prime, nearly ignoring the substandard "New Morning" album. That album was ok because it was still Suede, but songs from that record don't really tell the story of Suede, nor do they capture them in their prime. Every track here is a gem and their less popular songs usually trump other bands' best singles. Brett and the band hand selected these tracks and they were nicely remastered. This isn't one to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply superb!, 1 Nov 2010
Stephen Lloyd (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
I bought this CD and, like many others no doubt, I bought it having owned the tracks for many years on previous album releases. So "Why bother?" you may ask!

Well, there are two reasons really. Firstly, I have an ongoing sense of loyalty to the band for the unspeakable pleasure their first two albums gave me. Secondly, the tracks on this CD have been remastered which is always a purchase incentive for any pre-millennium recordings

There are 35 tracks on this album. 30 of them are great and at least 10 of the 30 are perfect! Look no further than `Pantomime Horse' for a song so perfectly and beautifully structured it leaves you breathless. Want a dirty Ziggy/T.Rex crunching glam riff then `Flashboy' ticks the right boxes. Epic grandeur? You will find it on `Still Life', a song so gorgeously orchestrated it never fails to give me goose bumps! And if your eyes don't moisten when you hear `The Next Life' then you don't have any eyes. Most of these songs deserve plaudits, personaly I'd like their DNA injected into all aspiring musicians in the vain hope that we may see their like again. One can but dream!

Like The Smiths Suede have not been served at all well by their record company. Where are the sumptuous remastered album releases with additional discs of demos or live recordings? Why should bands of this stature and importance be limited to a smattering of remastered tracks when far less worthy outfits receive the `deluxe' treatment? On the evidence of these remasters, crisp with clarity, the Suede back catalogue is ripe for revisitation.

So buy this release because, new to suede or not, it will truly enrich your life. At the very least these songs will make you yearn for a time when young men singing popular tunes were prone to wear their mother's blouses and unambiguously promote sex and violence on a caravan site! Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Best" album I've bought in the last year or more!, 10 Feb 2011
D. STEVENS "DENNIS STEVENS" (PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
I quite liked Suede back in the day, but never bought any of their albums & so wasn't overly familiar with their work - not exactly a fan! However, upon seeing this CD collection & recollecting how good a couple of the better known songs were, I decided to order a copy & I'm very pleased I did. This is a really good collection, featuring consistently high quality material. I thoroughly enjoyed my first listen & I'm already looking forward to becoming much more familiar with all of the tracks. A rare 'Best of -' that can be thoroughly recommended. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
I liked Suede "back in the day" but never quite appreciated how good they were. This first disc transported me back to listening to their dark, sexy indie/britpop as a teenager. Songs like Metal Mickey, Animal Nitrate and Trash sound just as good as they did then. The second disc has a good smattering of gems that I missed first time round.

The Best of Suede is probably one of the very few best ofs, that I have bought, that really deserves the title. It's all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars long time coming, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
always thought Suede were the first and best brit pop band. Sound better than ever 19(!) years on.
This is a great introduction for the unconverted, especially 2nd disc that throws in all those B side gems (Insatiable One, Europe Is Our Playground,,etc) and the lost album tracks (especially The Asphalt World).
Cheap as chips now as well

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Jan 2011
Jay Rainbow (bolton england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
I had almost forgotten some of these songs but listening to this albumn brought it all back. I love suede and songs such as trash and beautiful people shaped my adolesance. if you like suede buy this 2disk albumn you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are The Underdogs, 4 Nov 2010
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
Ah, Suede. How you were loved, then forgotten at the time. On the heels of their immensely successful reunion show in March, Suede reclaim the ground from alleged contemporaries - Blur, Oasis - who recently have also set stall with Best Of's recently. Seven years makes people forget how amazing this band were at their peak. A passionate, powerful, and thrilling pop group : who can forget the opening chords of "Animal Nitrate", "Metal Mickey", "Trash", and not feel... that sense of joy? All of them are here, remastered, sparkling and burning with previously buried backing vocals and guitar overdubs presented in a pristine, immaculate condition for your listening pleasure.

Having long been regarded, unjustly, as the ugly pups of their era, Suede were, and are, the only of their contemporaries not to be rehabilitated into the view of being cool. Until recently, the band were almost verboten, their body of work overlooked, and the sad, slow slide into obselence on record that peppered their final years becoming their final epitah. They grab you by the scruff of the neck, and remind you why they were so loved. Not everyone liked them, but then again, who wants to be liked by everyone?

Despite an absence of material from the latter years which undersells their final incarnation, Suede take themselves back from the sneering public image and belittling snide comments. Remembering that for some people, these songs aren't embarrassing memories, but lifelines and long lost friends that took the edge off the bad days, the bad years, the decades of dirt.

But this - when the music starts and the adrenaline rushes - it's Suede as good as, no, better, than ever. Time and years may have corrupted us, but this music reaches to our souls that are as pure as they were then. Songs like "This Hollywood Life" and "Killing of A Flashboy" are songs that stand head and shoulders above their alleged contemporaries, who were busy peddling sludge about binmen and Beatles pastiches. These songs, all of them are taut, tight set of firey, passionate dispatches from the frontline of adolescence, sound better than ever.

Lyrically some of these songs have dated, and it's impossible for them not to : the riproaring rush of "Animal Nitrate" makes reference to being `over 21', instantly placing the song to the dark years before the age of consent was equalised.Others, with refences to Factory Lines and other cultural signifiers seem from another age where the world was made very differently, where Britain still has a manufacturing industry and a society structure that has been, to all intents and purposes, dismantled by technology and finance. Even "Film Star", a formulaic stomp that, like all good Suede songs melds a sophisticated interpretation of indie-glam and intelligent, heartfelt wordplay roars like a beast ; one that predates Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" by over a decade.

Like all great artists, and all great bands, whilst there might be nothing but old material, this stuff still sounds relevant, still sounds now, for it connects with what it meants to be human, what it means to be alive, and sometimes, the core parts of that do not change, with love, hope, and the sense of bristling injustice that the world we live in often sells short our potential, and our beauty. A lyric like "I'm 18, and I need my heroine" seems desperately trite on the page, but when combined with the fierce music, it becomes the sound of a world we all remember, the raw, primal need of youth for acceptance and love. That, or a boatload of naughty druqs.

Suede were a great band out of step with the rest of the world, and that when the hype and bluster, fog, smoke and gasoline clears, what is left is silly, great songs about this silly, great thing called life we're all part of wether we like it or not. Fall in love all over again, for falling in love is easy, it's the staying there that counts.

5.0 out of 5 stars suede the best of, 1 Nov 2010
M. black "barriebb3" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
my all time favourite band suede,at long last release a best of that includes ,album tracks,b sides and all bar one of their stunning singles.this is a great starting point for any new fans of the band and after buying this should really purchase the self titled debut ,the masterpiece that is 'dogmanstar' ,the glam-tastic 'coming up' and the b-sides collection sci fi lullabies which has some of their greatest songs.all essential.the last two albums ,'head music' and 'a new morning ' are patchy ,but do have a few decent tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
What a great band! I'm currently enjoying a bit of a suede revival on my ipod thanks to this cd! This is a well compiled greatest hits, bringing back so many memories! I've been counting down the days till its release. A must have for fans, and a great starter cd for new listeners. Whats not to love about suede! And a big high five to amazon for undercutting itunes on the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Suede (Audio CD)
Bought this as a great introduction to a fantastic and underrated band. I would recommend to anyone who likes The Smiths and David Bowie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa54f74e0)

The Best Of Suede
The Best Of Suede by Suede (Audio CD - 2010)