4.0 out of 5 stars A pleased sceptic
Published on 4 Nov. 2010 by G. L. THOMPSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not their best, but...
There are a few outstanding tracks on this album. Overall, it's pretty dull and uninspiring, I think everyone including myself expected more.
Published on 1 Nov. 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleased sceptic, 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Have been a big fan of KOL for sometime but wasn't sure they could pull off another great album, especially after not being impressed by Radioactive. However, just love Come Around Sundown, not so much for individual tracks but because it holds together as a sequence of tracks beautifully. Tracks like Back Down South and Mary hark back to country roots. But is it me or are their hints of the Smiths on Pyro and Birthday? Pick Up Truck reminds me of Arizona which is my favourite KOL track. But as I say I have to listen to the whole album, again, again and again....

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not their best, but..., 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
On the day of release, I eagerly logged onto the Itunes Store to listen to the previews. Now, if you go and do this, you will notice nearly every track sounds the same, which shocked me, as they've always had many different styles on one album, especially in Only By The Night with the likes of 17, Notion and Use Somebody. After this disappointment, I decided I should probably not judge by previews, as they're generally quite deceptive with only 30 seconds of the song. My fiance bought me this for Christmas, and my first listen to it was while I had the flu, lucky me, and only a few tracks made me go 'wow'.
Below is the track listing and my opinions on all of the songs.
1. The End.
One of my three favourites of the album. Such a powerful bassline and beautiful, beautiful guitar playing. I like how Jared's chords fit in perfectly with Caleb's singing and the pauses. I like the lyrics in this song and the way they are sung, especially parts like "Said I ain't got a home, I'll forever roam.." It's a fantastic, start to the album, and leaves you with high hopes for the rest of it. I also liked the ironic song name, and the variety of instruments used in the composition. The ending of the song is absolutely beautiful. Overall, it's an amazing song, just what I wanted to hear from them.
2. Radioactive.
The first single from CAS. I was so, so, so excited to see on the music channels "New Kings of Leon Video Exclusive." Admittedly, it's not the best song ever. Yes, it's upbeat and happy but it's nothing in comparison to some of their old greats. It's extremely overrated, although listenable and enjoyable, it's nothing like their old singles like Molly's Chambers or The Bucket.
3. Pyro.
The second single from this album. I love this song, it's composed so beautifully with gentle bass and guitar in the background with a soft drum beat. "Everything I cherished is slowly dying or is gone.." is probably my favourite line as he sings it with such conviction. The song is sung with lots of emotion, which is odd considering it's about the FBI killing Christians that lived on a mountain...
It reached number 69 in the UK singles chart, which shows me it's not mainstream enough for the chav public to enjoy it, so that adds to my enjoyment.
4. Mary.
One of those filler songs that people don't really like. It's alright, but a bit too boring for my liking. Guitar is very, very basic as is the entire composition of the song in general.
5. The Face.
Without a doubt, this is my favourite. Beautiful would be an understatement. This is 3:28 of heaven, in my opinion. Jared and Matthew both showcase their guitar playing talent, throughout, with a strong bassline and passionate riffs throughout, and Caleb shows how raw and incredible his voice is. Such a deep, heartfelt song, which is nice to have on the album. If you're emotional when you listen to it, there will be tears if you think of your loved one. "Ride out the wave..."
6. The Immortals.
A mainstream song, which I guessed would be their next single, and so it happens, it is their third from this album. I'd like to say it's one of my favourites, but it doesn't even touch 1, 3 or 5. It's a feel-good song, with some nice guitar playing, emotional singing and a really cool instrumental between verses.
7. Back Down South.
I love the way this song really shows off where the Kings are from, just the sound of it, and the crowd of Southeners cheering at the end. It's a nice song, listenable, but not as good as my three favourites, but much better than most that follow it. From here on gets a bit boring for me.
8. Beach Side.
I love the start of this song, you know that it's Beach Side. It, like the album as a whole, is a feel good song. I like the guitar and bass in it, and it's a listenable song. Very, very unlike KoL though.
9. No Money.
These last 5 songs all blend into one for me, as I felt they were quite similar. I love the backing vocals in it though during the chorus, and Caleb's voice works perfectly with the music. Didn't really appreciate the two unnecessary swears though...
10. Pony Up.
The reason I like this song is probably because of the hoof like noise at the beginning, because I know it's Pony Up. I also like the guitar throughout and the bass sounds fantastic. Yet again, quite different.
11. Birthday.
I must admit, I do quite like this song, especially the chorus. I'm not sure why, probably because it's a happy song and yet again, the bass and guitar are great.
12. Mi Amigo.
This is simply just a listenable song. The only thing I can really say about it is that I like Caleb's voice in it, and Matthew's guitar playing is awesome during the bridge/chorus.
13. Pickup Truck.
I like the beginning, unusual start with a mini riff and bass strum. I like the chorus, simply because it has emotion in it, and Caleb's voice sounds great, as well as a strong drum beat from Nathan and a brilliant combination of bass and guitar. I also like the parts between the verses, as they sound really good. It has a nice powerful end as well, which slowly gets quieter with less and less instruments until it fades out.

Overall, an odd album from the Kings. Completely different from their usual stuff.
My stand-out tracks are definitely: The End, Pyro, The Face and Pickup Truck. They would be the only reason I'd recommend this album to a friend, as they'd be better off listening to Because of the Times, to get a good feel of the band.
On another note, I like the simplistic album artwork, and love the yellow palm tree design on the disk.
If you're not going to buy or download the album, at least listen to the three I've recommended; you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A small step in the right direction, 15 Feb. 2011
S. Clayton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Because of the reviews and their last outing "only by the night" I went in anticipating a poor album, I actually only bought it because I had an Amazon voucher given to me. Although this is a million miles away from their first 2 albums in terms of quality, is actually not half bad. To get my point across I compare this to the last album (which is really the only one it can compare to without being trashed) it doesn't reach any of the same heights with songs like "closer" for instance but equally never reaches the lows of the last, its consistent throughout with each song being fairly good. It lacks guitar riffs and is built around more how good Caleb's voice is, the result is although pretty week, a reasonably good listen. That being said I still would only recommend this album if you get it very cheap/borrow it. Conversely if you think that their last album is the best, you should definitely get this, and maybe if you want some reaffirmed faith that Kings of Leon are perhaps at least trying to get back on track then give it a shot. This is not a poor album but as the inevitable comparison always goes back to their early days, it's just no where near as good. Go in expecting nothing but fairly good music, nothing special, as that's all your gonna get, but given their last album, this for me is a step (albeit small) in the right direction. 2.5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm. Still undecided., 18 Nov. 2010
M. A. Bateman (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Thought Only By Night was superb - well at least 7 of the tracks. Sex on Fire, Use Somebody will, I am sure, be played as classics in 20 years. So I was soooo looking forward to this album.

I've listened to it 20+ times. It's not the same. I love "The End" - the first track. The opening alone is brilliant. In fact, the opening few bars are often better than what follows.. So for me, a disappointment.

Gutted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lets call this a bad patch, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
If you were hoping for Youth & Young Manhood... look elsewhere. If you hoping for Aha Shake Heartbreak... look elsewhere. If you were hoping for Because Of The Times... look elsewhere. If you were hoping for Only By The Night... you're in luck!
Come Around Sundown pretty much follows on from their 4th album. It is still a good album in some respects but when they have set their level so high with the first 3 albums this just doesn't sit right. You can tell they have tried to rediscover their magic by creating good basslines and nice KOL signature guitar sounds, but their gritty upbeat tempo and rough snappy lyrics are replaced by a clean layered sound and long drawn out yelps which start to make each song sound a bit similar and repetative, and quite frankly a waste of a good tune in some cases.

Structurely the songs have become more "radio friendly" instead of their usual unstructured and not so obvious choruses which in my opinion created their unique sound and made them poles apart from anything around. The Followill's turned up nose to normal structured songs created their loyal fan base from the begining and you can see why they are starting to lose patience with what is being created of late.

As i said before, it isn't a bad album and there are some good sounds made throughout, it's just hampered by Caleb's drawn out yelps which don't suit his style of voice and makes some songs repetative. The End, Pyro and The Face sound extremely similar due to this and although good sounds are made by their instruments, vocally it sounds lazy, probably because he ad libbed majority of the album instead of the tried and tested they have readily prepared for recording. Back Down South is the most stripped back track on the album but in the company of the other songs it makes it sound like they are trying a little to hard to go "back to their roots".
In my opinion the second half of the album is closer to the older KOL and more them in general, with slightly rougher quitars, better structures and upbeat lyrics (not so many yelps) Track 7 to 13 are a better listen and the key songs for earlier followers are No Money, Pony Up, Birthday, Mi Amigo and maybe Pick Up Truck if it takes you're fancy.

In all it's a mixed affair with some good things going for it but it is put together far to crisply and the songs sound to clean for it to be a classic Kings Of Leon album. It will please some, mainly the more recent followers, radio listeners and Radio 1 followers (KINGS OF REPETITIVE SONG PLAY, WHICH IN TURN KILLS ANYTHING REMOTELY GOOD AND CONSTANTLY PLAYING ELECTRONIC, N-DUBZ, JLS, X-FACTOR TRASH! excluding Zane Lowe and the odd DJ who play different music now and again) but it will also lose some of the earlier fans because it doesn't quite have the same cool, who cares type attitude that came from the start.

I have just downloaded a song called Celebration from the Deluxe Edition which has given me hope that they still have what it takes and all is not lost! This has genuinely given me a warm feeling inside because i was starting to worry that their genuine sound which has alludded them of late is still clinging on. Lets hope that after this album they take a break, relax, go to church and come back creating something thats more in fitting and more of a progression from their first 3 albums + Celebration. I live in hope with my fingers crossed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Come around....Sometime, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
KOL are brilliant! I am a self confessed fan ever since their first offering. 'Only by the night' (OBTN) was a triumph. It catapulted KOL right into the mindset of everyone with an interest in music.
Come Around Sundown (CAS) is a good album, But it fails the heady heights of OBTN. Something seems lacking here... The huge sounds of sex on fire, Somebody and cold desert just aren't here.

It may be a conscious decision by the band to mellow things down a little bit and get back to some of the music Tennessee is famous for...Some songs work tremendously, Back down south, Pyro, the face and pickup truck are less epic as songs on OBTN but yet still very effective.

The sound of KOL is again, as expected, brilliant their bassist again shines as always. Drums are a little simple but yet effective. Caleb's voice does very well and he is clearly growing as a front man.
Lyrically this album is not great. This is quite possibly down to the fact that Caleb made up the words while going through demos and never actually developed them. "I got something here...If you give me one more beer!"....enough said!

It's a shame because it is quite obvious that lyrically most songs mean nothing to Caleb, which therefore brings the quality of the album down.

Its not an epic album its not an important album...its a bit of a casual 'beer in the afternoon sun' kind of album...There's nothing wrong with that but we know what these boys are capable of...And that's the underlying feeling throughout this album...Could easily have done better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kings of Leon - The sun ceases to shine, 18 Oct. 2010
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Upside - The Kings of Leon's new album "Come around Sundown" is full of very large and big riffs throughout; it contains a number of really good songs ("Radioactive", "No Money" and the excellent "Pick up truck"); its better than Paolo Nutini, the Script and the Killers, thus if this is the future of chart music we should be relaxed; they are from Tennessee and "Lookout Mountain" near Chattanooga is splendid and well worth a visit; its in a different league to their last album "Only by night" (which should be used as target practice for Cruise missiles); it thankfully doesn't include "Sex on fire" which stills conjures up images of that bloke with the big hair on X factor; its quite Southern in its "feel" and has great rubbery bass playing throughout courtesy of the wonderful Jared Followill.

What the papers say (upside)

"a largely enjoyable batch of surprisingly invigorated tunes from one of American rock's most unlikely mainstays" Music OHM

"they've made an album with an old-fashioned commitment to greatness, a determination to fashion something bold and original". Daily Telegraph
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Downside - Terrible album cover (Hotel California after climate change?), fundamentally is this truly the band who recorded Joe's Head, Tranni and the whole of "Youth and Manhood"? the song "Mary" sounds like a cross between the Bay City Rollers and the Glitter band; someone else in the band needs to sing the occasional song since Caleb Followill's voice can become very repetitive; its not a patch on either the new Walkmen album "Lisbon" or the new Deerhunter album "Halycon Digest"; finally without getting nostalgic or sentimental I do miss the stupid haircuts and moustaches and hope that there may be more inspiration to be found yet from their weird days in the United Pentecostal Church or at least that they decide to record an album of murder ballads and take a new direction.

What the papers say (downside)

"well produced sick bag of nauseous atrocities. If it had come adorned in a plain white sleeve emblazoned with the words 'CASH COW' in bold Times New Roman it would convey a more appropriate message. (Drowned in Sound)

"How do regain your reputation and still keep the fans who made you rich, happy? Can't be easy - and listening to their new album it seems the boys don't have the answer either" (The music fix)

It up to you, vote now......

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing! KOL going through the motions?, 22 Nov. 2010
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
I have really enjoyed the last 2 Kings of Leon CDs. Both full of strong songs and strong performances. I therefore had high expectations of this CD. I do not like to review a CD on first listen because CDs can often grow on one. I found the first listen ok but nothing special. I thought maybe my expectations were too high ......so I left it for a few weeks and listened to it again and again. I have listened to the CD 7 or 8 times and for me it does not live up to expectations. The 2 best songs by far are Radioactive and the brilliant Back Down South but these 2 songs cannot save the album. There are too many one paced songs lacking real quality. The performances are predictable and samey. There is no feel of real enthusiasm in the vocals. It has the feel of going through the motions. I would not want the album to be a remake of the previous 2 as groups have to move forward and grow but this one does not. It is not as good as previous efforts. Maybe in years to come I will return to it and enjoy it. Who knows. Music is always a matter of personal taste but this CD is not to mine. On the whole I found it boring and I tried not to. A little disappointing. I would reocmmend if you are new to KOL to go to either of their last 2 albums first but I am sure others would point to the first 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Explain, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
I was expecting this album to bring The KOL's music even closer to the easy listening, appealing to the masses, stadium rock anthem groove and it does but:

It's hard to explain but here is where I stand. My favourite album is Because of the Times because it hits the right balance between their raw roots and quality song writing and musicianship. Some songs are off the wall, stripped back, almost experimental and others hit the spot and make you want to hear them over and over. Only By the Night lost some of the spontaneity but gained almost as much by hitting a consistent quality with great tunes so:

This one shouldn't be that good and it isn't, in my opinion it's not as satisfying as the two aforementioned. That said it still works, it's well worth having in your record collection and I have come to the conclusion that it's only real problem is that it comes after BOTT and OBTN. If has a more laid back sound, gives the impression that the next one will have to be radical or it's goodbye KOL the hard rockers and hello KOL the cabaret act, but despite that, I enjoy listening to it and it's still much better than just about anything else around.

I thought this one would be the decider but it isn't. We will have to wait for the next to find out if these guys want to become background music or hit out again with their album, not the one the record company expect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, again., 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Where to start? I've been a big Kings of Leon fan for some years and really enjoyed their first two albums, Youth and Young Manhood and Aha, Shake Heartbreak. When they released Because of the Times I was just blown away by how their style was changing and was very excited when Only by the Night was released. Unfortunately this didn't float my boat and their evolution had reached a stage that appealed to a whole new audience. After a few listens I wrote it off and stuck with their first three. When I found out they were releasing this album, Come Around Sundown, I was dubious andvery nearly didn't buy it. I read magazine reviews that stated they'd returned to their original roots this time around so I gave it a shot. In my opinion, bear in mind this is only my personal opinion, Come Around Sundown feels like the transition between Because of the Times and Only by the Night. I guess what KOL have tried to do is bridge a gap between old fan base and new fan base and to some extent they have. Whereas I'll listen to every track on the first three and none of the fourth, I only listen to select tracks on this one. Definitely worth a few listens to make your own mind up. But then isn't everything?

Come Around Sundown