4.0 out of 5 stars A pleased sceptic
Published on 4 Nov 2010 by G. L. THOMPSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not their best, but...
There are a few outstanding tracks on this album. Overall, it's pretty dull and uninspiring, I think everyone including myself expected more.
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by Victoria

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleased sceptic, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Have been a big fan of KOL for sometime but wasn't sure they could pull off another great album, especially after not being impressed by Radioactive. However, just love Come Around Sundown, not so much for individual tracks but because it holds together as a sequence of tracks beautifully. Tracks like Back Down South and Mary hark back to country roots. But is it me or are their hints of the Smiths on Pyro and Birthday? Pick Up Truck reminds me of Arizona which is my favourite KOL track. But as I say I have to listen to the whole album, again, again and again....

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not their best, but..., 1 Nov 2011
Victoria (Chelmsford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
On the day of release, I eagerly logged onto the Itunes Store to listen to the previews. Now, if you go and do this, you will notice nearly every track sounds the same, which shocked me, as they've always had many different styles on one album, especially in Only By The Night with the likes of 17, Notion and Use Somebody. After this disappointment, I decided I should probably not judge by previews, as they're generally quite deceptive with only 30 seconds of the song. My fiance bought me this for Christmas, and my first listen to it was while I had the flu, lucky me, and only a few tracks made me go 'wow'.
Below is the track listing and my opinions on all of the songs.
1. The End.
One of my three favourites of the album. Such a powerful bassline and beautiful, beautiful guitar playing. I like how Jared's chords fit in perfectly with Caleb's singing and the pauses. I like the lyrics in this song and the way they are sung, especially parts like "Said I ain't got a home, I'll forever roam.." It's a fantastic, start to the album, and leaves you with high hopes for the rest of it. I also liked the ironic song name, and the variety of instruments used in the composition. The ending of the song is absolutely beautiful. Overall, it's an amazing song, just what I wanted to hear from them.
2. Radioactive.
The first single from CAS. I was so, so, so excited to see on the music channels "New Kings of Leon Video Exclusive." Admittedly, it's not the best song ever. Yes, it's upbeat and happy but it's nothing in comparison to some of their old greats. It's extremely overrated, although listenable and enjoyable, it's nothing like their old singles like Molly's Chambers or The Bucket.
3. Pyro.
The second single from this album. I love this song, it's composed so beautifully with gentle bass and guitar in the background with a soft drum beat. "Everything I cherished is slowly dying or is gone.." is probably my favourite line as he sings it with such conviction. The song is sung with lots of emotion, which is odd considering it's about the FBI killing Christians that lived on a mountain...
It reached number 69 in the UK singles chart, which shows me it's not mainstream enough for the chav public to enjoy it, so that adds to my enjoyment.
4. Mary.
One of those filler songs that people don't really like. It's alright, but a bit too boring for my liking. Guitar is very, very basic as is the entire composition of the song in general.
5. The Face.
Without a doubt, this is my favourite. Beautiful would be an understatement. This is 3:28 of heaven, in my opinion. Jared and Matthew both showcase their guitar playing talent, throughout, with a strong bassline and passionate riffs throughout, and Caleb shows how raw and incredible his voice is. Such a deep, heartfelt song, which is nice to have on the album. If you're emotional when you listen to it, there will be tears if you think of your loved one. "Ride out the wave..."
6. The Immortals.
A mainstream song, which I guessed would be their next single, and so it happens, it is their third from this album. I'd like to say it's one of my favourites, but it doesn't even touch 1, 3 or 5. It's a feel-good song, with some nice guitar playing, emotional singing and a really cool instrumental between verses.
7. Back Down South.
I love the way this song really shows off where the Kings are from, just the sound of it, and the crowd of Southeners cheering at the end. It's a nice song, listenable, but not as good as my three favourites, but much better than most that follow it. From here on gets a bit boring for me.
8. Beach Side.
I love the start of this song, you know that it's Beach Side. It, like the album as a whole, is a feel good song. I like the guitar and bass in it, and it's a listenable song. Very, very unlike KoL though.
9. No Money.
These last 5 songs all blend into one for me, as I felt they were quite similar. I love the backing vocals in it though during the chorus, and Caleb's voice works perfectly with the music. Didn't really appreciate the two unnecessary swears though...
10. Pony Up.
The reason I like this song is probably because of the hoof like noise at the beginning, because I know it's Pony Up. I also like the guitar throughout and the bass sounds fantastic. Yet again, quite different.
11. Birthday.
I must admit, I do quite like this song, especially the chorus. I'm not sure why, probably because it's a happy song and yet again, the bass and guitar are great.
12. Mi Amigo.
This is simply just a listenable song. The only thing I can really say about it is that I like Caleb's voice in it, and Matthew's guitar playing is awesome during the bridge/chorus.
13. Pickup Truck.
I like the beginning, unusual start with a mini riff and bass strum. I like the chorus, simply because it has emotion in it, and Caleb's voice sounds great, as well as a strong drum beat from Nathan and a brilliant combination of bass and guitar. I also like the parts between the verses, as they sound really good. It has a nice powerful end as well, which slowly gets quieter with less and less instruments until it fades out.

Overall, an odd album from the Kings. Completely different from their usual stuff.
My stand-out tracks are definitely: The End, Pyro, The Face and Pickup Truck. They would be the only reason I'd recommend this album to a friend, as they'd be better off listening to Because of the Times, to get a good feel of the band.
On another note, I like the simplistic album artwork, and love the yellow palm tree design on the disk.
If you're not going to buy or download the album, at least listen to the three I've recommended; you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm. Still undecided., 18 Nov 2010
M. A. Bateman (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Thought Only By Night was superb - well at least 7 of the tracks. Sex on Fire, Use Somebody will, I am sure, be played as classics in 20 years. So I was soooo looking forward to this album.

I've listened to it 20+ times. It's not the same. I love "The End" - the first track. The opening alone is brilliant. In fact, the opening few bars are often better than what follows.. So for me, a disappointment.

Gutted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lets call this a bad patch, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
If you were hoping for Youth & Young Manhood... look elsewhere. If you hoping for Aha Shake Heartbreak... look elsewhere. If you were hoping for Because Of The Times... look elsewhere. If you were hoping for Only By The Night... you're in luck!
Come Around Sundown pretty much follows on from their 4th album. It is still a good album in some respects but when they have set their level so high with the first 3 albums this just doesn't sit right. You can tell they have tried to rediscover their magic by creating good basslines and nice KOL signature guitar sounds, but their gritty upbeat tempo and rough snappy lyrics are replaced by a clean layered sound and long drawn out yelps which start to make each song sound a bit similar and repetative, and quite frankly a waste of a good tune in some cases.

Structurely the songs have become more "radio friendly" instead of their usual unstructured and not so obvious choruses which in my opinion created their unique sound and made them poles apart from anything around. The Followill's turned up nose to normal structured songs created their loyal fan base from the begining and you can see why they are starting to lose patience with what is being created of late.

As i said before, it isn't a bad album and there are some good sounds made throughout, it's just hampered by Caleb's drawn out yelps which don't suit his style of voice and makes some songs repetative. The End, Pyro and The Face sound extremely similar due to this and although good sounds are made by their instruments, vocally it sounds lazy, probably because he ad libbed majority of the album instead of the tried and tested they have readily prepared for recording. Back Down South is the most stripped back track on the album but in the company of the other songs it makes it sound like they are trying a little to hard to go "back to their roots".
In my opinion the second half of the album is closer to the older KOL and more them in general, with slightly rougher quitars, better structures and upbeat lyrics (not so many yelps) Track 7 to 13 are a better listen and the key songs for earlier followers are No Money, Pony Up, Birthday, Mi Amigo and maybe Pick Up Truck if it takes you're fancy.

In all it's a mixed affair with some good things going for it but it is put together far to crisply and the songs sound to clean for it to be a classic Kings Of Leon album. It will please some, mainly the more recent followers, radio listeners and Radio 1 followers (KINGS OF REPETITIVE SONG PLAY, WHICH IN TURN KILLS ANYTHING REMOTELY GOOD AND CONSTANTLY PLAYING ELECTRONIC, N-DUBZ, JLS, X-FACTOR TRASH! excluding Zane Lowe and the odd DJ who play different music now and again) but it will also lose some of the earlier fans because it doesn't quite have the same cool, who cares type attitude that came from the start.

I have just downloaded a song called Celebration from the Deluxe Edition which has given me hope that they still have what it takes and all is not lost! This has genuinely given me a warm feeling inside because i was starting to worry that their genuine sound which has alludded them of late is still clinging on. Lets hope that after this album they take a break, relax, go to church and come back creating something thats more in fitting and more of a progression from their first 3 albums + Celebration. I live in hope with my fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kings of consistancy, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
I had read a lot of reviews before purchasing this album, and to be honest I was a bit put off. After playing it for a day I realized I shouldn't have been worried at all; this is an excellent album by one of the most unique bands of the last 20 years.

Some reviewers have called the album bland and accused it of having many tracks sounding the same, I couldn't disagree more. There are many influences that ring through on this album, from the 50's diner sound of 'Mary', to the heavy country sound of the excellent 'back down south'. 'Beach side' has a surf music feel to it and 'Mi amigo' has a reggae type of guitar throughout. No matter which song is on, the sound will be what the KOL have consistently delivered; heavy bass-lines, infectious guitar, quality drumming and raw, honest lyrics, but as with all the KOL releases, the package is greater than the sum of its parts.

As one reviewer has already stated, the 'sex on fire', 'notion', 'fans' and 'four kicks' anthem style tracks are not here with the exception of 'radioactive'. But, the songwriting on here is of a really high standard and reminds me more of 'because of the times'(my personal favorite) rather than 'only by the night', and in my opinion this album is much better than the last.

I love the album. I've had it for almost a week and its been played every day and it is quality from start to finish. Play any song and you'll know you are listening to the Kings of Leon, immediately. Even with all the influences on the album, every track is stamped with the distinct KOL sound; their essence is in every song. Listen to the album; I'm sure you'll buy it after you have.

2.0 out of 5 stars A small step in the right direction, 15 Feb 2011
S. Clayton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Because of the reviews and their last outing "only by the night" I went in anticipating a poor album, I actually only bought it because I had an Amazon voucher given to me. Although this is a million miles away from their first 2 albums in terms of quality, is actually not half bad. To get my point across I compare this to the last album (which is really the only one it can compare to without being trashed) it doesn't reach any of the same heights with songs like "closer" for instance but equally never reaches the lows of the last, its consistent throughout with each song being fairly good. It lacks guitar riffs and is built around more how good Caleb's voice is, the result is although pretty week, a reasonably good listen. That being said I still would only recommend this album if you get it very cheap/borrow it. Conversely if you think that their last album is the best, you should definitely get this, and maybe if you want some reaffirmed faith that Kings of Leon are perhaps at least trying to get back on track then give it a shot. This is not a poor album but as the inevitable comparison always goes back to their early days, it's just no where near as good. Go in expecting nothing but fairly good music, nothing special, as that's all your gonna get, but given their last album, this for me is a step (albeit small) in the right direction. 2.5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy effort. Massive disappointment, 27 Jan 2011
J. Cantwell "jeffmorph" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
This is shockingly mundane. I love the band and have all the other albums but this just sounds like they've jammed one or two chord sequences and made it into an album.
Compare it in particular to the punchy tunes of the first album and it sounds even worse.
Smell you later KOL. I've lost you to the main stream.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (MP3 Download)
Loved all their previous albums. They seem to have run out of ideas in this one. Well performed but no outstanding tracks. It's just OK

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing! KOL going through the motions?, 22 Nov 2010
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
I have really enjoyed the last 2 Kings of Leon CDs. Both full of strong songs and strong performances. I therefore had high expectations of this CD. I do not like to review a CD on first listen because CDs can often grow on one. I found the first listen ok but nothing special. I thought maybe my expectations were too high ......so I left it for a few weeks and listened to it again and again. I have listened to the CD 7 or 8 times and for me it does not live up to expectations. The 2 best songs by far are Radioactive and the brilliant Back Down South but these 2 songs cannot save the album. There are too many one paced songs lacking real quality. The performances are predictable and samey. There is no feel of real enthusiasm in the vocals. It has the feel of going through the motions. I would not want the album to be a remake of the previous 2 as groups have to move forward and grow but this one does not. It is not as good as previous efforts. Maybe in years to come I will return to it and enjoy it. Who knows. Music is always a matter of personal taste but this CD is not to mine. On the whole I found it boring and I tried not to. A little disappointing. I would reocmmend if you are new to KOL to go to either of their last 2 albums first but I am sure others would point to the first 2!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 24 Oct 2010
Mr. Wg Anderson (Co.Down U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Around Sundown (Audio CD)
Very disappointed. Thought it was just a grower but after about 10 listens I dislike it even more.No song on the album stands out. I kept waiting for the songs that you would listen to over and over but they weren't any.I have all the other KOL albums and think they're great.Do yourself a favour listen before you buy.

Come Around Sundown