on 20 November 2010
As a former soldier (1st gulf war and two tours of bosnia) There's very little that affects me but this CD? WOW I'm in tears even just writing this review!! I defy anyone who listens to this and NOT b moved. The blend of voices from BERNARD CRIBBINS to JOANNA LUMLEY intermingled with the music adds even more power to the verse. It doesn't matter what you think about the current on going conflicts this will move you as it spans the generations of fallen soldiers from WW1 to Afghan.
I was particularly moved by HANNAH CARPENTER's poem as this describes exactly what my wife did when I went away on my tours of duty. She burst into tears the first time she heard that poem so a special thank you to HANNAH CARPENTER
A lot of my friends receive support from The Royal Legion so by buying this CD not only do you help veterans of past world wars but veterans of all conflicts that the British armed forces have been involved in in the past.
on 19 October 2010
I listened to this CD and wept. It is a poignant way to remeber the fallen of all conflicts. Every one should buy it. In the name of the title "We will remember them"
on 18 October 2010
Being a graduate of an English Literature degree I thought I had heard and read all the possible combinations of war poetry from the First World War and beyond. How wrong I was, I hadn't even come close! This is a superb and balanced mix of poetry describing the experience and remembrance of war through the twentieth century and beyond (though there is a bit of Shakespeare in there too). This is the first time I have heard poetry concerning Afghanistan and the experience of those waiting at home too. "They Tell Me" which is read by the sublime Hayley Westenra (who is a marvellous reader in addition to a first class singer) and "Sunset Vigil" read with gravitas and feeling by Lt Gen Sir John Kiszely are particularly noteworthy. This is well worth purchasing and I hope it is the first of many.
on 19 October 2010
I have just purchased this CD and so pleased it has gone to Number 1 in the (Tesco) chart anyway.

My husband Andrew McFarlane wrote #39 Sunset Vigil so it makes the purchase even more special to myself and our family. The poem was among 4 that he wrote whilst serving in the T.A in Afghanistan a year or so ago.
on 28 March 2014
For remembrance this album should represent a perfect blend of words and music that really would give meaning to the act of remembrance. I love that the album is a recording of a continuous programme which really would do justice to the 90th anniversary year of the Royal British Legion. However, it is a shame that it was spoiled in two ways through what is basically sloppy editing:

Firstly, the continuous recording is spoiled by slight jumps (or gaps) in the programme as each 'track marker' is passed. This causes irritating gaps in the programme, spoiling the continuity of programme! (Modern editing processes are able quite easily to do away with this problem, as can be heard in albums such as the 10th anniversary recording of Les Mis)

Secondly: For anyone wanting to listen to a specific, single track, this again is spoiled by the 'track markers' being in the wrong places. Tracks are spoiled by starting either a short way into the recording, or by ending a after the beginning of the following track.

It is because these two 'blips' that I have only given 3 stars. If these were sorted, this wonderful programme would deserve the highest rating possible!
on 30 October 2010
I felt compelled to write this review whilst still recovering from the overwhelming emotion of listening to this wonderful CD. Although familiar with much of the spoken word and music, every narrator without exception made it even more of a joy to listen to. What a fitting tribute in words and music to the brave soldiers of past and present conflicts. Find some quiet time to sit and listen to it and reflect. I actually bought it for my husband but I already know it will be one CD we shall both want to listen to again and again. Altogether a real treasure.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2010
This is the most sublime blend of music and the spoken word, and I cannot commend it too highly to anyone who cares about the defence of the realm. It should be required listening for all politicians. We ask too much of our armed forces, and do not give them enough in return.

Just as an aside, living in France it is encouraging to see the ceremonies of remembrance that are carried out in every French town and village at this time of year.
on 28 October 2010
For those who like the spoken word interspersed with music this is a must. As I was already familiar with some of the words and music, it was interesting, emotional experience to hear this collection. It has obviously been designed to tug the heart strings, and succeeds admirably.I expected to be moved, and was surprised at how much. A must have for any aficinado of the War Poets.

Delivery service excellent as usual.
on 27 October 2010
a truly great selection of words and music full of emotion . i can't speak too highly of it ,
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 November 2010
This wonderful evocation of words spoken by Richard Baker, Joanna Lumley, Nigel Havers, Stephen Fry and Simon Williams to mention just a few is beautifully underscored by suitable musical extracts composed by Elgar, Barber, Handel and Vaughan Williams. To listen is to picture those scenes of war and its aftermath. If only we as humankind had learned the futility of war especially at this time, but alas, lives continue to be lost and young servicemen maimed. Listen and weep. Listen and hope that one day the world will change.