on 16 April 2013
This was a really good story,with great characters,but I struggled with the editing,I nearly gave up after a few pages as my first thoughts were that I was reading a short story,what is with all the editing notes?
I also couldn't understand why there were so many chapters,it seems the story rolled over from one chapter to another,which I found frustrating.
I have seen that the book has been re written from the original,but I am sure with a bit of editing help this book would be excellent.The premise is great,but it just didn't flow for me which spoiled it.
on 18 May 2012
This novel revolves around twin sisters Natalie and Anna; their younger sister, Ilona and her daughter Mila. Mila is half-Jew and as the Germans invade Budapest, getting her to safety becomes easier said than done. Each character experiences a variety of emotions and in the well-crafted words of Suzanne Anderson, the reader follows their journey.

You feel their fear and you want them to be safe, but one cannot bypass the terror that they each feel. They have already experienced loss when Max, Ilona's husband passed away. The reader completely connects with this and understands that losing Mila is not an option.

Something about this book made me think of Anne Frank and while it was the same war, Mrs. Tuesday's Departure offers an entirely different angle in a different style. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a weekend read, and no you don't have to be a woman to enjoy women's fiction. This book will really keep you glued.

Overall assessment:
Story: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Editing: 4/5
Formatting: 4.5/5
Pacing: 4.5/5
Offensive content?: Minimal adult theme and use of expletives(PG)

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author through Orangeberry Book Tours. I did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obligated to write a positive one.
on 7 August 2014
I enjoyed this book very much and found myself immersed in the story. It was well written and the characters were interesting.

The only weird thing was the sudden religious slant at the very end of the book. Obviously the subject matter (WW2) meant religion was part of the story, but the last page became very evangelical for some reason! It certainly didn't spoil the book at all, but I just found it a bit strange.
on 13 December 2013
I think it would be fair to describe Mrs Tuesday's Departure as a quick easy read. It's not brilliant writing but it's a good enough. I think it would lend itself to being dramatised either as a play or a film. There's really nothing new in it but it's comforting in it's familiarity as a fairly predictable WW2 story.
on 6 July 2015
I enjoyed this book but felt there was a lot missing from the story. The end was a little too swift where it changed from past to present. It was interesting but at times was difficult to continue but I made it to the end. Would have liked more of what happened to Mila before the end of the story showed this.
on 14 August 2015
It was good to read a different insight into the suffering that people went through in the WW11. I also enjoyed this story because the Hungarian interest having been there & know a family that lived through it. It is such a lovely country. Thank you.
on 26 September 2013
This book is set in war-torn Hungary and tells the story of Natalie coping with her twin sister who has dementia and her niece who is Jewish and emotionally abandoned by her mother and step-father.

Through the book we experience what it was like to be constantly on the alert and wary of everyone new you come across. The dementia means that the whole family are put at risk as she forgets what she is supposed to say and do.

A story of love which transcends all that life throws at it but interspersed with the harsh realities.

It's good to read a story from a different perspective.
on 11 July 2012
The story is set in Budapest towards the end of WW2. The main family characters are Natalie who is widowed at quite a young age; her twin sister Anna who was a university lecturer but has suffered a breakdown and at times lives in the past and borders on insanity; and Mila who is their 12 year old neice and has been left behind in Budapest when her mother escaped on one of the last trains to leave the country. Mila is half Jew so it is imperative that she is kept hidden from the invading Germans. Two other characters play key roles in the story firstly Deszo who had had an affair with Anna prior to the start of the book and who has always had feelings for Natalie; and Josef who is an opportunist thief and supplies information to both sides in the war. Deszo also has secret business dealings as well.
The book is well written with good details that give a real feeling of the difficulties and sufferings experienced from living in Budapest during the war. The chapters are really short and after several chapters there is an excerpt from someone living in America. Initially these didn't make much sense although you could see some reflection from the main narrative. Gradually you realise that these excerpts are about Mila in the future, and can either be seen as what Natalie has written or as what actually happens.
The ending of the story is sad but not without meaning. Ultimately the story is about love and about faith in the face of almost certain death.
on 18 November 2012
I liked the sound of this title and so I downloaded it. I found it to be a very enjoyable read, but a bit confusing to start with until I realised that the excerpts were from a book written by the main character - Natalie - about her neice Mila. It mildly touched on some of the horrors of WW2 and the treatment of the Jews, but it was from Natalies perspective. It had such a sad end, but the book is well written.
on 8 December 2012
It makes me so sad to read, see or even think of the terrible things that. Man can and have done to his fellow man. This story tells of one woman's complete faith in God's love through all things and her devotion to her twin sister even to death. It will stay with me for ever.