Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 8 June 2009
A very amusing book that tells us in a zany way the things we know already about losing weight. Eat less, exercise more and drink water. I so wish that Chapter 101 had been Chapter 1. I would most certainly read Mimi Spencer again and look forward to her next book.
on 2 August 2012
I must say I loved reading this book and read it within 3 days. The author is witty and everything we already knew about dieting just makes more sense (eat less, become more active and drink lots of water). When reading this book I get the sense Mimi was trying to tell us life is too short to obsess about food and weight, but to incorporate healthier lifestyle changes daily.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a fresh and funny approach to dieting because after all..we are all human!
on 12 February 2010
Although it's a very entertaining and well-written book, the title is misleading - it is a diet book for every purpose. It even has a few diet recepies in it (tasty, but they are there because they are low-calorie). If you are trying to make peace with food and get away from compulsive eating, this is definitely not the book for you. It doesn't teach you how not to diet, but how to win the battle: How to avoid beckoning bakeries and take another route, how to have a treat only every third Tuesday rather than every time you actually want it, etc. It doesn't teach you how to listen to your body and what it signals you, but how to cheat it - eat soup, drink more water, eat raw vegetables - all the tricks of the old diet world.
Having said that, it's amusing and entertaining, but definitely not for girls who are trying to recover from an unhealthy relationship with food. It's another diet book (in the new form of "healthy eating" rather than crash diet rules).
on 5 March 2009
1. Because this is not a diet book. It's a very well-informed, intelligently-written, very funny read that will enhance any bedside table, coffee table or loo shelf. 2. Mimi Spencer writes with a wit that makes you snort embarrassingly when reading her words on public transport. 3. She makes you want to read chunks of the book aloud to all your dearest friends. 4. She has created a smorgasbord of hints and tips that can work for anyone, anywhere, at whatever stage of life and girth. 5. This book makes you feel good about yourself. Really.
on 28 February 2011
Although this is marketed as a 'non-diet book', it is 100% a diet book. It gives lots of tips on food to eat, when to eat it, including fads such as don't eat carbs after 5pm. It is also aimed at those who enjoy thinking about absolutely everything they do from moment to moment, including every item of clothing, every way of moving and anything in between. Life is for living, isn't it?!
on 10 March 2009
Most guys would never admit to reading something like this, but I found a lot of really useful tips on how to get in shape without giving up too much.
on 20 November 2009
This was not at all what I expected. I thought it was going to be about life being too short to diet and 101 other suggestions for what you could do - kind of like a fun 'to do' list, but it's just another diet book. Nothing in it that you haven't already read. Disappointing but completely accept that I misunderstood what it was about.
on 9 April 2009
I have never read a diet book and can still say this is true. Dive into this book for a genuinely interesting, fact filled and hilarious read on not how to be thin, but how to be the best, most fabulous version of yourself. Here goes .......
on 5 March 2014
I'm someone that has lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise and managed to keep it off so I picked this book out of interest more than anything else. This book is easy to read and follow and genuinely has some good tips (are you really hungry or just thirsty, change your routine etc). It has a very common sense approach to dieting and in a lots of ways points out the obvious and tells you what you already know. It IS a diet book but the strategies are less about dieting but more about incorporating everyday strategies in your life. It's not ground breaking advice (eat when you're hungry, stay hydrated and move more and if you're not destined to be a size 8 it's not the end of the world) but it does make good sense. My only concern is that Mimi doesn't advocate 'fad' diets but does heavily endorse 5:2 in other forums (which I'm not knocking, being a 5:2 follower when needed).
on 7 February 2013
I read Michael Mosley's book on intermittent fasting and as Mimi Spencer has provided the second half of that I thought I should read this. Ms Spencer has the most entertaining style and some of her phrases are incredibly memorable. It doesn't tell me anything I don't know. I have always known about finding my own style and how to hide faults for instance. She has some wacky ideas about how to avoid eating some things - put washing-up liquid on your children's leftovers if you are tempted to finish them up. The problem I have with the book is that it is not written for those who struggle with their weight and are really overweight but for those who are obsessed with dieting and believe that they are overweight when in fact they area size 12. I haven't finished it yet and I am enjoying reading it and I think many others would appreciate it too.