5.0 out of 5 stars A triology of thought provoking humorous book's.
Published on 11 Dec. 2000

I purchased the trilogy having read a few reviews on this site. These stories are aimed at young readers (I am certainly not this age range) and found them all a little too undemanding, the humour and inventive imagination wasn't as entertaining as hisDisc World series works. I therefore rate the books as 3 stars although young readers would enjoy them much more.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. A. Leake

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A triology of thought provoking humorous book's., 11 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
Each book captures part of normal everyday life. Sometimes times a very funny view, or a quite serious subject. Issues not normally talked about for younger readers are broached in these books. The books are also have underlying moral issues, which are turned over and questioned in a considerate and often humorous way. Somehow Pratchett engages the reader in a crazy mirror of life, taken to extremes, but in a beliveable way. The characters are built upon in each book, like a girl who is competion mad, but misses the human point of view of Johnny. This book made me laugh out loud, and you can see a link with styles that are picked up in the Disc World books. These stories are more in line with reality than the disc world series. Johnny is someone special who the reader could well imagine being! A great read. Some of the storylines are real history based,which I lived through. When my daughter read them she asked about them, for instance space invaders and the gulf war. One way for generations to communicate!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading, 4 Nov. 2011
L. Simpson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I bought this trilogy for my new Kindle, while waiting for SNUFF to come out.
I have read all of Terry's adult Discworld books and have now started delving into his childrens' books.
This trilogy is not about Discworld but very entertaining and enjoyable, probably more so than his junior Discworld books, "The Amazing Maurice...." being the exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant books for young or old (young at heart), 22 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant books with such different storylines in each. Based on the "real world" rather than the Discworld getting to know Johnny and his friends is fun and fascinating, everyone comes to love Mrs Tachyon, everyone KNOWS a Mrs Tachyon somewhere in their life. I've read these, my kids read these, I recommend them and buy them for young friends and grown up friends, my dad has read them and enjoyed them too and he's 95! They make you laugh, they keep you turning the pages following plots that have you hooked to the very last page, they have sad bits and strange bits - they are all Terry Pratchett at his best (as always) Read them all before now getting them for my Kindle so I can read them all again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Pratchett!, 14 May 2013
Mr. I. C. Graham "Avid Bookworm" (Lincolnshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Aimed firmly at the younger readers, this is still a series that adults can enjoy. Three plots surrounding the same local gang of adolescent friends - firstly with a computer space invaders game that turns out to be real - secondly, the local cemetary comes to life to complain about local planning proposals - and finally a slip back to WWII to save the people from a bombing raid. All with Mr Pratchett's wry and cynical humour, hugely enjoyable. A definite 'keeper' for me!

3.0 out of 5 stars I therefore rate the books as 3 stars although young readers would enjoy them much more, 25 Mar. 2015
Mr. A. Leake (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Intregue, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Terry very rarely does any wrong for me and this trilogy is no exception. I started with the disc world series and have read all those and now I am working backwards I can only say again he very rarely disappoints. Even if you have seen the video of johnny and the bomb you must read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite non-Discworld characters- all three books in one, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
All of the Johnny Maxwell books are here :)
some of the best philosophic, psychological and thought provoking writing, following the life of Johnny Maxwell as he stops an alien invasion, sets dead people on the moon, and learns the precarious nature of time travel. age ten up

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Maxwell Trilogy, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Terry Pratchett at his best. Much better than the TV series. Good look into WW2 would be excellent introduction for older children getting insight into second world war. The time travelling element adds a new dimension, literally. Would highly recommend this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars All in one. Johnny is now a favourite character., 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Over the years I've always meant to read these books. When I seen them all in one I went for it right away. The only problem now is that I've read all way too quick. But what I've read has has made me laugh and think about things in only the way Pratchett can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett Gold, 23 Nov. 2012
Mrs. Deborah L. Ankrett (Nottm UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Johnny Maxwell Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
what can I say - read these as paperbacks years ago and was treated to a Kindle for my birthday (best gadget pressie ever!!!). Enjoying reliving the stories in my imagination.

Would love these to be televised!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›