5.0 out of 5 stars The Moment is Vast
So many things came to my mind after reading this book. The story was so unpredictable and enchanting without using so much magic hocus pocus in it (except for the future sightings). The 'real' magic is lied within yourself for as long as you live, you can do anything if you put all your strength and thought in your effort. A real fantasy one.
The story was started...
Published on 30 Nov 2004 by Spy Groove

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This is a typical story about a boy who meets a girl, falls in love with her, both encounter unnumerable odds and finally come together. The reason why I still gave this two stars was because the plot was logical and on the whole still readable. However, I would have preferred to read this at the bookstore or at the library instead of purchasing it (I bought mine on...
Published on 22 July 2006 by iceflyier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Moment is Vast, 30 Nov 2004
The story was started from the invasion of King Kareed of Archeld into Bellandra which was caused by Kareed's ambition to break the legend that Bellandra, being the owner of the magical sword, Sword of Bellandra, was invicible to its enemy. It turned out to be useless in the hand of its ignorant king, King Veldon of Bellandra. In the aftermath, Prince Landen of Bellandra, was captured, intended to be Princess Torina's slave. But she freed and befriended him. The relationship came to the test when the ambitious Vesputo worked his way to gain the crown by lies, trickeries and betrayals.
The narative was easy to follow (and imagine) and there are so many beautiful proverbs, lines that gave me thoughts such as 'the moment is vast' which I gathered that though in a moment (some say less than a second), there are so many things can happen so you must treasure every moment. My favorite line (not exactly the same) 'Emid would have no other best warrior student than a prince reared in peace' . Got the beautifully lined irony?
I just hope I can get my hands on The Healer's Keep soon!
Please read it and be enriched by its beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for the wise and "Young at Heart", 21 July 2000
This review is from: Seer and the Sword (Hardcover)
When I read this book for the first time, I couldn't put it down, laughing and crying tears of joy at the end. What a classic story of Love, Despair, Joy, Betrayal, Magic, Hope, Faith and the enduring force that animates the human spirit. Set in another time and place, it's a tale of boy meets girl and how they develop a friendship. Circumstances separate them, danger follows and threatens them as they each independently develop into young adults, learning valuable lessons on the way. They are reunited and discover their love for eachother. Then, they are inadvertantly forced apart and end up doing battle with the forces of evil... Being a youngster at forty-seven, I can say this is not just for children for sure! The second time I read The Seer and the Sword, about a month later, I found the "higher truths" to be self-evident, and I appreciated Victoria's skill at weaving them into the story without preaching. I would recommend this book to young and mature alike...and am doing so with pleasure. Can we have another of Victoria's books soon? I'm looking forward to many more!

5.0 out of 5 stars How this book has been a dear beloved friend, 24 April 2013
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
I was shocked, when I opened to the flyleaf of my copy of this book, to realise I have owned and loved and read this book over and over for 13 years.

My last reread was too long ago, and I approached this reread with the trepidation of a person afraid of disullusionment - and I'm so relieved! The fact that it has endured my growing up is a testimony to its strength.

I've always found Victoria Hanley's writing voice warm and motherly. When I read about how she lost and grieved for her own mother, I feel like she imbues her work with the that love. Even though I know everything that happens and will happen in this book, it always grabs me by the heart: the mourning song always makes me teary, and the valour and strength of the characters make my heart swell - steady Emid, loyal Eric, brash and blustering Andris, wise Dahmis, Lindsa and her mother, kind and strong. Every secondary character spends time with you and leaves an impression - in fact, it is more accurate to say that almost no character is secondary. It's an architectural quality you can easily not notice, but the warmth reaches you all the same.

The question my different selves ask each other is this: why do I love this book so much? My teenage self says 'Landen' but that isn't enough. Landen, the dispossessed prince raised in a peaceful land, has a strength of spirit that takes root in the reader's soul. He is someone who loses everything, over and again, and not only does he not break, but his griefs and hardships give him the resolve to stay true to the ideals he grew up with, despite the treachery and caprice of the world. It's this battle between a world that wants to bring him to his knees, and the boy who was raised to become a king, that is so, so compelling. How can peace prevail in a world bent on war? How can he forgive the man who killed his father, even though that man's daughter becomes his dearest friend?

Landen's character bears all those traits of greatness: forbearance, mercy, humility, sincerity. Laid out like this, it could sound trite, but it isn't. Ignoring the appeal as a romantic hero, I am drawn to him as an aspirational figure - someone I want to *be*. In Torina, I see the mistakes I make, but in Landen, I see the person I want to be like.

Torina's evolution is no less thorough than Landen's, and in this reading, I noticed the beautiful counterpoint of her lonely, exiled character to the way she comes alive around Landen, able to drop her walls and revert to the sweet innocence of her childhood, and how she has exactly the same effect on him.

Do I enjoy it so much because of all the good memories and feelings I associate with it? Maybe. But I know how much I value that in my life: it's a book that's been there for me like a friend for over a decade, dependable and comforting.

The moment is vast.

5.0 out of 5 stars not disappointing, 28 Feb 2003
A Be (Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The seer and the sword sounded good. It wasn't. It was brilliant.
Although one would expect it to be like many fantasy stories, with the princess beautiful and intelligent but still dependant on the man, Torina is not like that. Although she soon grows to (obviously) love Landen, she does not depend on him, and when she is forced to flee her home, she does not go in company with him. Another pleasing aspect of the story is that it is more realistic than other stories of the same nature; the author does not pretend that everything will be over quickly and can be easily sorted out.
This story, found by chance in my local library, delighted me, and I longed for it never to end. However, the end was worth even the trauma of the story finishing, although there does seem to be something missing (you'll see what I mean...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - 5 stars only because i couldn't give it more., 14 Jun 2006
hev "hev" (England - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Paperback)
I first picked up this book when I was 12. I am now 18 and I still love it!

The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley simply enchanted me from beginning to end. I loved it so much that I wished it would never end (rather unusual for me). Whatever genre you usually go for, you should read this book. Whether you are a child or an adult you will fall in love with these characters that mature and change as you read. They grow into people that make you love them even more because of their flaws. Victoria Hanley can make her characters come off the page and draw you into their world.

A must read on anyone's list.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seer and the Sword, 26 Oct 2000
This review is from: Seer and the Sword (Hardcover)
This book was a sheer delight to read. From the minute I picked it up I was hooked and couldn't put it down until I was finished. One of its unique strengths is the strong, heroic female protagonist who would inspire any teen-ager and thrill any parent who has been searching for this particular needle in a haystack. I invited author Victoria Hanley to appear as a guest on my radio talk show and she was as skilled with the spoken word as she is with the written. This book is a must-read for anyone who loves books containing rich fantasy & imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant in every way!!!!, 25 Jan 2002
This is one of the best books i have ever read.
Once picking it up and reading the blurb i thought "yea, this sounds good", and i bought it...now i have read it no less than 3 times and each time it gets even better than the last...the storyline is enchanting and anyone who decides to read this excellent book will not be disappointed, and will be swept away by the thrilling storyline...I recommend it to anyone who likes action/adventure/fantasy stories...or anyone who can read, BUY IT NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down., 22 May 2000
This review is from: Seer and the Sword (Hardcover)
This book was non wonderment. I couldn't put it down. The plot line, taking place in the lands of kingdoms and kings, told in the ancient style, never lets you out. You travel with Landon, as the young prince, torn from his homelands becomes and man, and you ask, is he ever going to get back to his kingdom? Will he become the slave of the king's daughter? And you follow the daughter, as she grows up and watches her whole world fall apart. This is a great book that will leave you asking for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read this book seven times!, 9 April 2005
This review is from: Seer and the Sword (Hardcover)
Oh my god, i have really never read a better book and i have read this one seven times. seriously! i've also read the sequal 'The Healer's Keep' and i adored that too. i can relate to how Torina feels and i cryed when she found Landen. i would love another one of these books, so please,Victoria, can you write another book to accompany 'the seer and the sword' and 'the healer's keep'? Please?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Seer and The Sword, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
For princess Torina of Archeld, her life changes the day her father seizes the peaceful country Bellandra and returns with a legendary sword, a crystal for Torina in which she can see the future and the former prince Landon. As Torina and Landon grow up, all is not good in Archeld and after a plot destroys both their lives, they must find a way to restore peace. The Seer and The Sword is a really good book with an interesting fantasy plot and a gentle romance. I like Landon as through the book he learns to be brave and fight for what he cares about, and I also like Torina as she matures during the book. I would recommend this book to people who like classic fantasy books with a fairytale feel about it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›