5.0 out of 5 stars The Moment is Vast
So many things came to my mind after reading this book. The story was so unpredictable and enchanting without using so much magic hocus pocus in it (except for the future sightings). The 'real' magic is lied within yourself for as long as you live, you can do anything if you put all your strength and thought in your effort. A real fantasy one.
The story was started...
Published on 30 Nov 2004 by Spy Groove

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This is a typical story about a boy who meets a girl, falls in love with her, both encounter unnumerable odds and finally come together. The reason why I still gave this two stars was because the plot was logical and on the whole still readable. However, I would have preferred to read this at the bookstore or at the library instead of purchasing it (I bought mine on...
Published on 22 July 2006 by iceflyier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Moment is Vast, 30 Nov 2004
The story was started from the invasion of King Kareed of Archeld into Bellandra which was caused by Kareed's ambition to break the legend that Bellandra, being the owner of the magical sword, Sword of Bellandra, was invicible to its enemy. It turned out to be useless in the hand of its ignorant king, King Veldon of Bellandra. In the aftermath, Prince Landen of Bellandra, was captured, intended to be Princess Torina's slave. But she freed and befriended him. The relationship came to the test when the ambitious Vesputo worked his way to gain the crown by lies, trickeries and betrayals.
The narative was easy to follow (and imagine) and there are so many beautiful proverbs, lines that gave me thoughts such as 'the moment is vast' which I gathered that though in a moment (some say less than a second), there are so many things can happen so you must treasure every moment. My favorite line (not exactly the same) 'Emid would have no other best warrior student than a prince reared in peace' . Got the beautifully lined irony?
I just hope I can get my hands on The Healer's Keep soon!
Please read it and be enriched by its beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars How this book has been a dear beloved friend, 24 April 2013
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
I was shocked, when I opened to the flyleaf of my copy of this book, to realise I have owned and loved and read this book over and over for 13 years.

My last reread was too long ago, and I approached this reread with the trepidation of a person afraid of disullusionment - and I'm so relieved! The fact that it has endured my growing up is a testimony to its strength.

I've always found Victoria Hanley's writing voice warm and motherly. When I read about how she lost and grieved for her own mother, I feel like she imbues her work with the that love. Even though I know everything that happens and will happen in this book, it always grabs me by the heart: the mourning song always makes me teary, and the valour and strength of the characters make my heart swell - steady Emid, loyal Eric, brash and blustering Andris, wise Dahmis, Lindsa and her mother, kind and strong. Every secondary character spends time with you and leaves an impression - in fact, it is more accurate to say that almost no character is secondary. It's an architectural quality you can easily not notice, but the warmth reaches you all the same.

The question my different selves ask each other is this: why do I love this book so much? My teenage self says 'Landen' but that isn't enough. Landen, the dispossessed prince raised in a peaceful land, has a strength of spirit that takes root in the reader's soul. He is someone who loses everything, over and again, and not only does he not break, but his griefs and hardships give him the resolve to stay true to the ideals he grew up with, despite the treachery and caprice of the world. It's this battle between a world that wants to bring him to his knees, and the boy who was raised to become a king, that is so, so compelling. How can peace prevail in a world bent on war? How can he forgive the man who killed his father, even though that man's daughter becomes his dearest friend?

Landen's character bears all those traits of greatness: forbearance, mercy, humility, sincerity. Laid out like this, it could sound trite, but it isn't. Ignoring the appeal as a romantic hero, I am drawn to him as an aspirational figure - someone I want to *be*. In Torina, I see the mistakes I make, but in Landen, I see the person I want to be like.

Torina's evolution is no less thorough than Landen's, and in this reading, I noticed the beautiful counterpoint of her lonely, exiled character to the way she comes alive around Landen, able to drop her walls and revert to the sweet innocence of her childhood, and how she has exactly the same effect on him.

Do I enjoy it so much because of all the good memories and feelings I associate with it? Maybe. But I know how much I value that in my life: it's a book that's been there for me like a friend for over a decade, dependable and comforting.

The moment is vast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - 5 stars only because i couldn't give it more., 14 Jun 2006
hev "hev" (England - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Paperback)
I first picked up this book when I was 12. I am now 18 and I still love it!

The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley simply enchanted me from beginning to end. I loved it so much that I wished it would never end (rather unusual for me). Whatever genre you usually go for, you should read this book. Whether you are a child or an adult you will fall in love with these characters that mature and change as you read. They grow into people that make you love them even more because of their flaws. Victoria Hanley can make her characters come off the page and draw you into their world.

A must read on anyone's list.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Seer and The Sword, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
For princess Torina of Archeld, her life changes the day her father seizes the peaceful country Bellandra and returns with a legendary sword, a crystal for Torina in which she can see the future and the former prince Landon. As Torina and Landon grow up, all is not good in Archeld and after a plot destroys both their lives, they must find a way to restore peace. The Seer and The Sword is a really good book with an interesting fantasy plot and a gentle romance. I like Landon as through the book he learns to be brave and fight for what he cares about, and I also like Torina as she matures during the book. I would recommend this book to people who like classic fantasy books with a fairytale feel about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
Great read, keeps you interested all the way through, you can imagine the characters and scenes they are in :

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book!, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Seer and the Sword (Hardcover)
I read this book as a young child and decided to buy it to add to my library for the future.
It's a quick read with a compelling storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Paperback)
This is a book I have come back to time and time again.
I first read it when I was 12 and have re read it these past 13 years. Its the kind of story that stays with you, it has such a magic quality and is much more than a Children's book. I grew up on Tolkien, CS Lewis and the Arthurian Legends, this book for me, fitted in nicely to the very same themes; love, loss, betrayal and redemption. The characters are easy to follow but complex in their creation, the story has a lovely narrative which keeps you gripped but also allows you to easily dip in and out if the mood takes you. Literature wise The Seer and the Sword works well as a comparison to Tristan and Isolde, as well as the tales of Lancelot and Guinevere.
I would highly recommend this book, its been with me for 13 years and it shall continue to be one of my favourite reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 31 July 2013
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
This book was a very easy and fast flowing, read it in two days because you just have to find out what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite childhood book ever, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
I read this book when I was younger and loved it so much I never forgot it, every so often over the past decade it just popped into my head so I decided to read it again. It did not disappoint, it was just as captivating and intriguing as I remember! Highly recommend anyone reading this beautiful fantasy tale with a twist, children and adults alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful tale, 12 Mar 2012
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seer And The Sword (Kindle Edition)
Reminding me of Game of Thrones, without the vicious blooding, the Seer and the Sword is a wonderful tale of love, patience, politics and adventure. I loved the worldbuilding of Victoria Hanley, her two protagonists and their delicate relationship, the lack of instalove, the believable villain, the twists and turns of the plot. Its a great historical love story set in an alternate universe of neighboring kingdoms. It was also refreshing to see kings behaving as kings should, at least 2 out of 3 of the story. Think Game of Thrones with more love plot and less viciousness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›