Bought Arctic this Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound, for the
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler I bought from here also

to compliment an old intel socket 775 quad core (these things get hotter than h*ll if not fitted properly)
the quad core had...
Published 18 months ago by TJ BURNS

3.0 out of 5 stars basic thermal compound, doesnt fair too well in really ...
basic thermal compound, doesnt fair too well in really stressed environments, if you want real high performance skip this and get coollabratory liquid pro
Published 1 month ago by GasCat

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compound - although a few things you should know before buying, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound (Personal Computers)
Bought Arctic this Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound, for the
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler I bought from here also

the quad core had recently been treated with arctic silver 5, again a great compound although AS5 can be corrosive and damage your board if spilled, The CPU is not overclocked and is running 35 degrees idle and under 45 degrees on full load, it has only reached 56 degrees during extensive torture testing and benchmarking with a 10% overclock applied (all cpu's of all ages should run no hotter than around 70 degrees on a maximum load - any higher replace your cooler and get this pronto),

Pro's & Cons

MX4 isn't as corrosive or as messy as AS5
MX4 is as good as AS5 although some might get a degree or 2 cooler with AS5 under full load as I did
MX4 doesn't take an age to cure, you see the improvements within a few hours instead of days/weeks

Application (Important for those first time users)

Never use a spatula or your finger to spread a thermal paste on the CPU. (This contaminates the paste)
Always put a small pea-size compound on it and let the pressure of the heat sink spread it. Also don't twist it.
That way there is less risk of trapping air and creating an uneven layer between the CPU and the heat sink.

If it is your first time applying a cooling compound you should watch a video for basic instructions

[...]

This tube should be enough for 4-6 applications, remember to thoroughly remove all traces of the old compound before application and if you have purchased a new heat sink to clean any manufacturer pre-applied paste of also, as it is usually low budget cheap cr*p they supply with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 July 2011
Dan .J .P (England Mid East) - See all my reviews
Got a good 8c drop after replacing the old TIM with the MX-4. I've managed to push my Phenom II X4 955 up to 3.50GHz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasitc thermal paste!, 4 Jan 2012
Bought this to replace the standard thermal paste of my Dell laptop, running Sandy Bridge i7 quad core and nVidia GT 540M. Before and after average temperatures for CPU and GPU combined under reasonably controlled conditions are 56C vs. 43C at idle, and 94C vs. 83C at maximum load (running prime95 on 7 threads and FurMark on 1 thread and GPU). Idle and low use temperatures (like browsing the web) means that the fan is off, and combined with my SSD, my laptop now runs entirely silent.

That's a reduction of 11C. What more need I say?

The tube contains a fair amount of paste, enough for at least 4 or 5 applications I guess. I've done a paste replacement twice now, once to replace the standard Dell rubbish, and once again after a month to make sure I did it right the first time (I applied a little too much the first time). Temperatures before and after my second paste job varied only marginally, and could be contributed to ambient temperatures (since I did it over a month later).

5.0 out of 5 stars good effective product, 27 July 2012
Until I used this product I was sceptical about the benefits of using higher end heat sink compound, preferring to use the cheaper white paste stuff (zinc something?).

I have been having problems with noise from my laptop, namely the fan forever starting up to keep the cpu cool,very annoying as laptops in my opinion should be as quiet as possible.
So I carefully stripped it down and applied Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound to the cpu/gpu heatsink interface and must say I'm very impressed with the difference in sound levels. Now as I type I can barely hear the fan, and unless the laptop is doing something particularly cpu/graphics intensive, it stays that way.

Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice!, 1 July 2013
use it sparingly!
too much results in heating up instead of cooling
used on h70, now using custom w/c loop

5.0 out of 5 stars This is better than Arctic Silver 5, 28 May 2012
Comparing the size difference of this product and Arctic Silver 5, the MX-4's syringe is HUGE!! You get a lot more thermal compound than you think. I have noticed my Netbook has decreased in temperature by a few degrees compared to what it had before (AS5).

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply, Very good paste., 24 Mar 2011
Mr. Z. Ashe (England) - See all my reviews
I have only used it on PlayStation 3 at this point it's done a great job
since i haven't installed custom firmware i can't tell you about any temperature but my PlayStation 3 runs like new, although i think i might have used to much i used about 0.7-0.8g

5.0 out of 5 stars Worlks great, 22 Oct 2013
After having some cooling problems, using the stock paste on my Intel E5700 (Dual Core, 3.0ghz cpu) a friend recommended i get some Thermal paste (He never stated which though), so i got this paste, cheaply!

The paste works straight out the tube, no need to wait for it to "dry" or anything, just slap some on, bolt on your Heatsink and fan, and away you go!

I've currently used this paste on 6 different CPUs (in different computers), and i still have more than half the tube left!

Excellent value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply and seems to have done its job, 12 Aug 2014
This was the first time I ever replaced the compound on the processor and the heat sink. I was not sure which compound to buy and how I would fit it.

The biggest challenge when I did research on the web was what to use to remove the existing compound. Most Youtube videos advice using "rubbing alcohol" or "isopropyl 70% alcohol". I looked these up and they worked out expensive including postage, if I was going to buy from a reliable source, other wise you cannot be sure what you are getting.

In the end I had some purple methylated spirit (which is available at most hardware shops and I even saw it in my local Sainsburys for less than couple of pounds), it worked a treat and I was able to clean the processor and the heat sink easily using ear swabs and "Plenty" kitchen paper towel to dry. I allowed methylated spirits to evaporate and then applied this compound to the processor.

Getting back to this compound, it was easy to apply - put a blob in the middle of the processor about the size of a pea. put the heat sink, etc job done!

I have noticed the fan does not come on as often, so I assume the compound is doing its job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, cheap price, 14 Aug 2014
CAS (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having used Arctic Silver 5 for years - I thought I'd give this one a go - it's also sold by Amazon itself - I have bought 'fake' AC5 before. The package I got from Amazon/Amazon looks legit.

I'm using it on my laptops, having opened them up, taking the cooler/fan away and cleaning CPU/cooler of the manufacturer paste - so we're talking 15-35W TDP not 65-120W as on desktops; it is hard to do A-B testing against AC5 (that needs 200 hours to 'bed in') but I do not see a delta between them. There is a delta between them and the manufacturer paste though not as large as I expected.

MX4 is non-conductive, thus it is not a disaster if you put too much and it spills over components on the CPU - though from what I read AC5 even though it has silver particles it is not supposed to be conductive either - but is capacitive; anyway, best to keep paste off other components whatever they say.

So at least for my use I'm good with it; it won't replace my existing AC5 but unless I can be sure I buy 'real' AC5 then I think this is a good replacement - unless you have high-TDP OC systems where every degree counts.

Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound