Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

VINE VOICEon 21 October 2011
I have to make a declaration here... I am a complete AB fan. **the** best band I have ever heard/seen.

When I saw AB3.5 was being released, there was no question over whether I was going to buy this. Straight onto the pre-order. But there is always that small niggle that wonders whether fans are being ripped off with a re-release of an existing album.

Be absolutely assured - this is an fantastic CD/DVD bundle.

The best way to think about ABIII.5 is as a DVD with a "free" CD chucked in - with 3 new tracks for good measure. The money alone for the DVD represents a great purchase, but to get 3 new tracks just shows how true AB are to their fans. Throwing in the rest of ABIII is just a bonus!

The DVD (and I really think this should have been marketed as a DVD) contains a full documentary all about AB - where they came from, what they stand for. Really great to see more about the band I follow so religiously. The documentary contains a good mixture of footage behind the scenes, extracts from concerts at Amsterdam, Anaheim. A very good spread of songs from the Blackbird and ABIII albums.

As for the CD, you get all of ABIII with three new songs - "Zero", "Home" and "Never Born to Follow". "Zero" would not be out of place on the "One Day Remains" album - back to the roots for me. "Home" definitely was on the list of possibles for ABIII - quite similar to "Isolation". "Never Born to Follow" is another classic deep and moody number. Could easily have sat in any of the AB albums.

Absolutely delighted with the purchase. Can't wait to see them on tour in November. The only disappointment is that AB are taking some time out for Creed duties. Hopefully they will be back stronger than ever....

5* - would have given 6 if I could :-)
on 28 October 2011
This album is absolutely stunning. Although I personally prefer Blackbird this album is right up there with the greats. It is easy to see this is a loose concept album as it takes you on a journey through the downs (Slip to the Void, Isolation, I Know it Hurts, All Hope is Gone), the better times (Ghost of Days Gone By, Make It Right, Breathe Again), dealing with loss (Wonderful Life), and acceptance (Coeur D'Alene, Life Must Go On). The original album ended with the most poignant of songs - a discussion between two people about faith. This bonus version has three more fabulous songs, and if it were possible ends of an even more poignant song in Never Born To Follow. Add to this album a fantastic documentary (with an interesting little clip after the credits), and you couldn't ask for more. The original album was long at 14 songs - I couldn't believe my luck. I saw this (with three songs I have been longing for for 10 months) and I was pretty much speechless. One of the great rock albums, and hopefully soon Myles, Mark, Brian, and Scott will be given the recognition they deserve.
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2011
I'm a big Alter Bridge fan, having seen them live a number of times and owning all their albums to date - One Day Remains, Blackbird, AB III and Live In Amsterdam. For me AB III was a disappointment after the two fantastic albums that preceded it. Isolation is instantly likeable and became one of my favourite AB tracks to date thanks to its hard-hitting main riff and catchy chorus but, despite the usual high quality lyrics, few other songs really stood out for me musically. I don't think I posted a review for it on Amazon but if I did it would be a 3 star album for me. However, this didn't deter me from purchasing AB 3.5 (or AB III.5 if you prefer that way) just for the promise of 3 bonus tracks and a documentary DVD. The 3 bonus tracks are all absolutely fantastic and in my opinion much stronger than a vast majority of the 14 tracks on the original release. The behind-the-scenes documentary is also worth watching as it provides a great insight into the band. Overall, 4 stars - not the full 5 because my view for the rest of the album still remains but the additional content is undoubtedly brilliant.
on 20 September 2013
ABIII is an amazing modern hard rock masterpiece. But it has one flaw: the production. The sound is too dense, and it took me a very long time to get passed this and really start enjoying the songs on this album.
So, although it took a long while to grow on me, one thing stood out, and that is the strength of the songs. Breathe Again, Slip To The Void, I Know It Hurts, every song is a winner! Fourteen songs, and I love every one! I am afraid I cannot say the same about releases by Creed, Black Stone Cherry or Soundgarden, which are all comparable to Alter Bridge, but I can for ABIII, and to an almost equal extent, Blackbird and One Day Remains. You can only imagine my excitement for the upcoming Fortress (eek...NINE DAYS!!).
Myles Kennedy is without a doubt the best rock singer of this generation, his voice is indescribable. His voice on Ghosts Of Days Gone By and Wonderful Life are world class amazing. Closing track Words Darker Than Their Wings even features Mark Tremonti, and lyrically and musically it is a masterpiece.
I have a great difficulty reviewing this album, as I love pretty much everything about it (aside from the production values), and I cannot pick highlights, without picking every single track!
However, my favourite song could very well be I Know It Hurts. Its just a straightforward rocker, perhaps the most unambitious song musically, but the chorus is ridiculously catchy and I find the lyrics uplifting.
This is a pretty flimsy review, I know, but Alter Bridge are, for me, the greatest band on the planet right now and they deserve at least one more five star review!
Now all I need to do is get me some Mayfield Four, Tremonti's All I Was, the live DVD's and Fortress. This band has kept rock alive for me, and I am so grateful!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 October 2010
Hopefully this album will sell by the shedload after Myles Kennedy's successful stint with Slash and co. If you are already an aficionado I think you'll like this. It's a bit more melodic than the previous two albums but there is still enough "grunt" to appease hard rock fans. Kennedy is a very fine singer and the rest of the band don't disappoint but it is the songs that are the stars here. The song-writing is credited to the whole band so I don't know who is responsible for the melodies and the crafting of the individual pieces but I have to say this is an album that grabs your attention right at the start and doesn't let go. The songs are instantly memorable with hooks aplenty and although some may think of this as generic American "Rock" there is enough novelty in here to surely satisfy any critics.

In my local HMV, Alterbridge's first two albums were in the "metal" section but have now been moved through to the "hard rock" section which would be about right. This is a very, very good hard rock album.
on 4 January 2012
Another late review, as with the first two albums I bought AB's latest offering upon release (and later AB III.5) with high expectations. These days it's rare you can say an album exceeds your expectations but AB III did just that; this is nothing short of sublime.
From the deliciously creepy, then explosive opening of Slip To The Void and the heavy drive of Isolation through to the soaring Breathe Again and Life Must Go On before drawing to a close with the remarkable Words Darker Than Their Wings, this is the best album you'll hear for a long time; there's not a bad track on it.
Kennedy has never sounded better (that scream at the end of Breathe Again is electrifying!), the rhythm section is on another plane and Tremonti's guitar work continues to amaze me. If anyone is still labouring under the illusion that Alter Bridge is just Creed 2.0, you don't know what you're missing. One Day Remains was a stunning opener, Blackbird cemented that they were here to stay but this is head and shoulders above both. Best album of 2011 and I reckon this will be among my top albums of the decade. Awesome!
on 23 November 2013
A brilliant combination of a CD and DVD giving a double bonus for all fans of Alterbridge..This is an excellent album as is the DVD which showed the band at its best performing a great selection of material..The cameras were all well placed for exceptional shots of the band and the sound is perfect..The CD too is true Alterbridge at their true best and a must have for your collection if your a fan of Myles Kennedey's vocals and the guitar playing of Mr Mark Tremonti...Excellent double package that id strongly recommend without reservation..
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2010
This album has been in my possession since it first hit the streets and it has taken a little while to form a real impression - mainly because I found myself keep hitting the repeat button on the CD player to hear each song time and again - therefore not taking in the album, but merely taking in each song, one, by one, by one.....really strange (for me!)
So, is this indeed Blackbird Mk 2 - No, it most certainly is not! Now, while I appreciate what everybody is saying about Blackbird - AB III shows the band have matured (almost) beyond recognition in that their songs are so much better structured, played and recorded and that each and every one of the musicians here have poured their all into this album. However, that said, Blackbird is indeed the one that has a common thread running through it, whereas AB III is more about perfecting each and every song, no matter what, therefore each song stands on it's own two feet and does not need all the other songs there to support it.
Personal favourites here are - strangely, every single song - the album is simply brilliant, and while it will not ultimately be my favourite album of 2010, it will certainly be in my "top ten"
Roll on AB IV.....
on 3 November 2010
Mirroring the views of a few other fans/reviewers on these pages, I have had a slight problem getting Alter Bridge's third offering. As with their sister band (or mother band is probably more accurate) Creed, they were never favourites for the thinking person's choice of music and will always sail the calm seas of being an easy listening group, despite the frequent heavy interludes and grungey tonal sections. However MOR they seem, they have given the world 2 pretty excellent albums full of songs of truly heartfelt yearning and up tempo rockers. The first album was lumpy but held a lot of gems that have matured well. Blackbird was more assured and worked exceptionally well as an album with 14 tracks, creating some new classics along the way. AB III (very unoriginal title by way the way - but I suppose they're not alone) is still very accomplished technically but the material, while there not being a dud song on the album, lacks a certain spark that their previous 2 albums relied on. They are more seasoned musicians and this is evident as the overall tone of the album is a melancholy one, but I am sad to say that Creed's recent 4th album is far better than this.

'Slip to the Void' starts nicely, and serenely, soon kicking in with the heavy riffs but fails to excite. Even with repeated listens this is true. 'Isolation' I really wanted to like. It starts off with very crunchy guitars chugging away - lovely. But the chorus, which is usually something that they do very well, falls a bit flat. As with most of this album it is by no means a bad song, in fact it is a quite passable single, but it is a 3 star effort at best. 'Ghosts of Days Gone By' is one of the few tracks that raise the bar. Unortunately it is no classic like 'Open Your Eyes' or 'In Loving Memory' or the many others they have created in just 2 albums but it is a great song. And the middle section's downtuned mosh-fest is simply an awesome example of the band working at their best. Full marks. That cannot be said of 'All Hope is Gone'. It's ok but plods along as an also-ran that should not really be involved in any live show. Again, not bad, just a bit dull. Shame. 'Still Remains' is a little better but not much and treads much the same territory as 'All Hope...'. 'Make it Right' is I'm afraid much the same. The chorus is relatively catchy but it's no stand-out.

The second half of the album is slightly better but only slightly. 'Wonderful Life' is great. It's a ballad and is rather saccharine at times but as a song it works very well. 'I Know It Hurts' is probably the best track on here. It's not outstanding but has a great structure and a knockout chorus. This and 'Ghosts of Days...' would probably be the only tracks that would make it onto a playlist of mine. And possibly 'Wonderful Life'. 'Show me a Sign' starts well and is ok but for a 5+ minute track it ambles on a little with a chorus that is good but doesn't hold up after repeated listens. 'Fallout' is pretty good but not as good as 'I Know it Hurts' although they are similar in structure. 'Breathe Again' could have been removed in my opinion as it is just rather boring. 'Coeur d'Alene' and 'Life Must Go On' are very good. They are not perfect and do not excite as they should but they are some of the best material on the album. The final track is hard to judge. I want to like it but just find it lacking somehow. I think with more listens this could be a very interesting track, maybe even the best here, but after the 4 or so I have listened to so far the jury is out.

As a whole it does almost work. The tone is consistent throughout and their abilities as a group are faultless. They can write great songs. They probably will again (every band has one or two bad albums) but for the moment AB III is simply their least interesting album to date.
on 23 October 2011
If the 14 tracks from ABIII weren't enough, then you have to get out there and buy ABIII.5!

You get 3 bonus tracks, all of which are great. "Never Born To Follow" being a personal highlight of mine!

Amongst the 3 new tracks you get a detailed insight into Alter Bridge with the documentary "One By One". In the DVD you get interviews with Slash and various fans paying tribute to the band. It's a must watch for any Alter Bridge fans out there!

Also peeps! Don't forget that Alter Bridge return to the Europe & the UK in November. I cannot wait!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse