5.0 out of 5 stars Akasa 3.5 card reader

Published on 26 May 2011 by InTutor UK

3.0 out of 5 stars One very silly flaw.
Published on 1 May 2012 by DrTeeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Akasa 3.5 card reader, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)

Finally, after 3 tries with different low price card readers I found one that actually works. However, to use it fully I would need all the media cards it can read but and I don't. What I do have is SD, SDHC Class 2,4, and 6, Micro SD and USB2 and USB3 sticks. All of them work and at a fine rate.
The SD and SDHC vary obviously, the faster the card speed the better, the Akasa gave me no bottle-necks when copying like others, that stalled or paused for ages before crawling down the progress line. The USB2 copied 4.9GB of full HD MTS video files from my stick in just under 3.5 minutes, so that works well.

Be aware with the Micro SD cards from mobile phones, it only accesses the folders with media in them, meaning files, I cant get my contacts off mine but you usually use the software with the phone for that anyway. Other than that it works fine.

The fitting is as easy as your case will allow, usually it justs slots in the floppy drive bay or a pre-cut area if the case is good enough. You do need a spare USB 2 header on the motherboard, virtually all have them, and it just pushes on, but be sure to make sure the pins line up properly.

Delivery, although not on prime, was only 2 days, and it's boxed as if off the shelf. Price I can definately say is a bargin - but maybe that's because I'm delighted in having absolutely no problems with it, unlike others. Off to order another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good budget card reader, 29 April 2011
T. C. Chase (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I haven't tried all the slots, but it reads and writes to all the SD cards I've got: SD, SDHC (Class 2,4, and 6), and MicroSD. Fast read/write speed. The built-in USB port is handy, especially if those at the rear of the PC are hard to get to! Not too hard to fit, goes in the bay normally occupied by a floppy disk drive, and connects to the motherboard via internal USB. An excellent piece of kit for the price. Just the job!

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST OUT OF 3, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I bought this in December 2011 and actually rate this about 4.8 out of 5 but you can't choose that.
So why 4.8? As my Title above suggests, this is the best Internal Card Reader I have had of the three I've bought. The 1st was a Sweex, bought on the back of good Amazon customer reviews, and all was fine at first until the USB Port stopped reading USB sticks/flashdrives, the 2nd was an unknown, obscure brand called a Media Dashboard bought from E**y, which was good in the respect that it had 2 USB Ports, and an LCD temperature read-out screen, but had far too many cables to attach to your motherboard, some of which never got connected due to shortage of MoBo headers, and both bought on lower price counts in order to save money. Alas, false economy as I ended up buying this Akasa AK-ICR-07, and with hindsight should have bought in the first place [a good and trusted Brand name].

So to 4.8, main reason - on mine, you have to put your USB connection in, Upside-Down, to all other USB ports I've used anyway. Not a problem at all, just a niggling, little thing, when your used to the usually way of inserting the Flashdrive. Also I wish it had 2 USB ports, but the one it has, has worked without any problems in the 2 months I've had this Card Reader. It also reads standard size SDHC cards and Micro Tf cards, but I don't have experience of other cards as I don't use them, hence the 4.8 score.
All in all I'm pleased with my purchase, but annoyed with myself for wasting money on the other two. MY ADVICE? -AVOID FALSE ECONOMY, DON'T WASTE YOUR DOSH, BUT BUY THIS, OR ANOTHER WELL KNOWN NAME. RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best card reader for this price, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I had other card readers in my life, but they all had problems. As far as I remember, one was a pain when you insert the cards (they just disappear inside it), one read the cards only when it wants to, and so on.
I bought this one, mounted it in my case using a 5.25 > 3.5 adapter, connected to an internal USB slot and Ta-Da!
Windows recognized it almost instantly. Inserting card cannot be more easy. A red light will tell you when the card is properly inserted and readable. They are exposed for a few millimiters outside their slot, so they can be removed without any swearing.
Other features or notable things: USB port (really useful!), white mask if you don't have a black case.
Totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job it was designed for., 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I made a mistake when I purchased this, in that I did not check the size and did not realise it was only a 3.5" device. I only have 5" front bays in my Corsair 600 case, which meant I had to order a 3.5" to 5" facia bracket conversion for it.

The device itself though is very well constructed and works flawlessly, as you would expect from Akasa.

One small issue is that some of the slots are upside down, the USB, CompactFlash card and Sony Memory Stick slots (the ones I use the most!), so make sure to put the cards in the right way up and not force them in.

3.0 out of 5 stars One very silly flaw., 1 May 2012
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I have had a previous version of this item and was happy to order another when the old one developed an intermittent fault. Unfortunately, THIS unit has one very silly flaw...USB sticks can only be inserted upside down, meaning that the activity light is not visible. They are put there for a reason. When looking for a replacement, many other similar bits of kit have the same quirk too.

5.0 out of 5 stars akasa card reader, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
fantastic product, download the drivers from the Akasa website and will work no problem with win 7. Installed and working in under 10 mins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Akasa is always the one to go for, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I have installed loads of these readers, they are just the best. Not the cheapest, but as they say buy cheap buy twice.
They go straight onto a free motherboard usb 2.0 header,whereas many lookalike readers have ridiculous leads with usb plugs that will take up a useful usb socket when plugged in. These also come with cream and black bezels which are easliy changed to suit the facia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste money on cheaper versions, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
I've previously purchased cheaper versions of these internal card readers and found them to be mechanically inferior and ultimately unreliable compared to this one. So my advice is don't waste your money on cheaper versions as this is more robust and much more reliable. They also have various versions with different sockets and readers so there's a good choice to suit your requirement.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice product, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader (Personal Computers)
handy addon for pc also comes with white cover.fits in floppy bay. delivery was quick for standard.recommend to anyone. 1 cable fits into where you woud plug a usb ext

Akasa AK-ICR-07 Internal Card Reader