5.0 out of 5 stars Best 'unusual' love story
Finished this book in few days. I fell in love with everything that was related to this book.
Easy to read and very enjoyable, probably because I felt the same as Eden at that time.
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by EvelynG

3.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity
Published on 2 Aug 2011 by Patricia Leppla

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 'unusual' love story, 30 Mar 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Kindle Edition)
I fell in love with him, too! Surprisingly well written, a nice easy read, finished it in one sitting. I could easily relate to the things in the novel - for example, Starbucks, and songs, etc.. It had an element of realism, and is perfectly believable. Had me gripped till the end. J'adore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic YA book, 15 Oct 2008
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Paperback)
I cannot rate this book highly enough. It is the best book I have read in ages. I completed it in two sittings; I was gripped from the first page.

I loved the characters, especially Eden, the protagonist. Warwick wrote her in such an amazing way that I completely connected with her and felt all the emotions she did. I was so in tune with her that when she cried, so did I.

The story was so well written. Warwick explored friendship, love, high school, family, death and music. The description of some of the pieces James played were breathtaking, and I could almost hear them. Watching Eden mature and fall in love was beautiful. Feelings were explained magnificantly. To see broken relationships patched up and repaired was lovely, and realistic. Every issue Warwick wrote about was successful. Even the relationship between Eden and James was sensitively written, and believable. I could easily see this happening in reality, playing out just like it does in the book. James was a lovely character. I fell in love with him too, it is hard not too!

I am so happy to have read this book. Nothing has left my disappointed. I loved the ending, the sense of maturity, adulthood, and adventure into the next chapter of Eden's life was amazing.

I don't have a bad word to say about the book.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem by JM Warwick, 3 Oct 2008
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Paperback)
Having reading 'An open vein', another gem by JM Warwick, I looked forward to reading 'A Season of Eden' and I am glad I did, it was a fantastic read.

Brilliant and interesting characters, I initially did not like Eden but as the story progressed, you found out about Eden, about her past and how it affected her and you realise how lost she actually is and how she finds someone similar in Mr Christian, her teacher.

The anticipation between them jumps off the page at you, you want them to be together.

The relationship is explored from all aspects and you really feel for them both, after the last page, you will still be thinking about this book.

Another fantastic read by JM Warwick, an insightful read, very different from other YA books out there, an amazing talent.

I recommend 'A Season of Eden' highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING!!!, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Kindle Edition)
If I must be honest I don't usually read books like this, but I thought I'd try it since I'd never read a book about a teacher student romance/relationship. So I did, and I'm glad I did. Its an amazing book. Since the age difference is only 4 years its not really shocking or disgusting. James Christian is a really great guy, a little of a geek. But generally a decent guy who starts to develop feelings for a student. Also when I first started to read the book I really dis-liked Eden. She seemed like a mean girl and I really couldn't connected with her at all. She does seem to be quite obsessed with Mr Christian, and this did really surprise me. But as I read further into the book I realised why she was like that, and overall wasn't as bas as she seems. I thought that the characters did change a liitle for the better, and you start to understand them more. Which is a very good thing. Overall, I would say you should try this book. I guess it's probably a book you will love or hate. So buy and try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Kindle Edition)
I got this book when it was free and I'm glad that I did. I can honestly say that I loved reading this story.
Because of their ages being quite close, it didn't feel gross for them to have a teacher/student relationship; so I was able to enjoy reading it. Also, the way that Eden didn't completely change her personaility for a guy just made it that more realistic for me. I loved James, especially when Eden first saw him in class and his retro geek nature.
However, the only thing that didn't sit right with me was the ending, it was dissappointing and I don't know if theres a sequel of what? It left me very confused and some what frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Clean Romance, 15 April 2012
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Kindle Edition)
A Season of Eden is amazing well paced. Slow enough to keep me reading but fast enough to hold my interest too. It's a pretty simple story with complex characters and I found it compulsively readable. The story explores the idea of a student-teacher relationship, which didn't seem too weird to me, as Eden was 18 and four months from Graduating, and James Christian was 21. Actually, he was 22 at first and then later on it said 21. So... I'm not sure...

Eden is popular. I picked this up quite easily and I found it really interesting to see it from her perspective, as she just found it normal that girls would walk away if she gave them a look, and people would clear a seat for her if she wished. It wasn't something that she cared about either, she was just used to it. Her home life is equally interesting - her Mom died a year or so ago, and her dad remarried only a few months later. Now she barely speaks to her Dad and comes home to the sound of her Dad and Step Mom arguing every single day. There are things that happen in this broken family later on that really made me sympathise with Eden.

Of course, the main focus of this story is obsession - I.E. Eden's obsession with James Christian. The story starts around the same day she meets him and leaves us on a bit of a cliff hanger at the end. I guess to let us make up our own minds about what happens next. James himself is very easy to imagine, as Eden does go in a lot of detail about him. A heck of a lot. However, if you're reading this for anything other than the romance aspect, don't. The story is about James and Eden and there's very little else. The sexual tension between the two of them was pretty intense, and kept me reading right to the very end to see what would happen. However, despite this, the book was pretty clean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Eden, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Paperback)
This book explores the controversial relationship between a student and a teacher. However, this isn't like most other books I've read. The relationship is short-lived and as the readers, we find ourselves yearning for the love to be united between them. The main character, Eden, finds herself lost in her new music teacher instantly. She discovers that guys her own age are too immature for her, so she sets herself a mission to win his heart.

She spends every possible second with him, which I find quite annoying to be honest. It is typical of a book with this narrative to have the student infatuated with her teacher, but her obsession becomes a little unhealthy in my opinion. The book is centered around her obsession; she thinks of him first thing in the morning, she thinks of him last thing at night, she thinks of him every second of everyday. She's truly in love, though she can't be sure at first whether her feelings are reciprocated.

I don't like Eden much, but I love the way her ideas are communicated. I could feel the anxiety she felt moments before she saw Mr Christian every morning. I felt like it was me who was in love with a teacher.

This book is interesting, engaging and extremely hard to put down. I was gripped from the first page, completely lost in it. I loved the narrative, the way everything fitted together like a glove and the way Jennifer Laurens described everything. Her central character is a good reflection of a teenage girl. I'd definitely recommend this book.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

I didn't want it to end at all; I wanted it to keep going until I was ready to move on. It made me even more excited about reading. In my spare time, I always read as much as I could before I had to put it down. It really needs a sequel though.

I'm not going to say too much about the actual story, you'll have to read it for yourselves...

3.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity, 2 Aug 2011
Patricia Leppla (Tucosn, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Paperback)
When I first heard about this book I jumped at the chance to read it right away. A romantic relationship between a teacher and a student is so taboo that I had to read it! Unfortunately, this book did not live up to all the expectations I created in my mind. That is not to say that this book was not good. It was actually really good, there were just a few things missing, at least for me.

It is Eden's Senior year and she needs to take an elective. She doesn't want to take a class that she actually has to do work in so she chooses an "easy" elective, Concert Choir. However, Eden becomes obsessed with this class, and not because she loves to sing but because of her new music teacher, Mr. James Christian. Right away she is overwhelmed by his voice, his preppy style fashion, and his music. She also notices that he is only four years older than her, making him that much more appealing. Her life becomes consumed by James Christian and the possibility of a real relationship, despite the fact that he is her teacher and she is his student. Soon, just like the forbidden fruit, a forbidden "friendship" is formed, one that puts them both in jeopardy, just for different reasons.

While I was very eager to read this book I became very weary very quickly. Eden's character screams "stereotype" throughout most of the book - she is very rich, popular, beautiful and smart, all of which she knows and plays off of, and even uses people and situations to her advantage without feeling. She comes off as very self centered, selfish, and fake. Only when you read some of her 'behind the scenes' you find that there is more to Eden than just looks and money and popularity. Her relationship with her father is strained if existent at all. Her relationship with her step mother is one of disdain. The relationship between her and her boyfriend is one of convenience, at least on her side.

Despite Eden's superficial qualities, Jennifer Laurens has actually done an amazing job at creating a real teenage girl. For Eden her crush consumes her life, just as any real teenager girl would feel (at least most). You also see little glimpses into the growth of her character throughout the book - like most, teenagers (and adult) don't grow up overnight. In fact they make a lot of mistakes! Eden is not excluded from this. She gains a realization of her mistakes and character and acquires the desire to change for the better.

There were a few things that would have made this book make more of an impact for me. I would have loved more information/scenes that gave more background Eden's relationships: with her parents, including her step mother, as well as with her friends. Her relationship with her friends said nothing beyond superficial, and it was hard to believe that she really cared about these people when she spoke to them. I also would have loved to read more about James Christian himself. Eden finds qualities in him that are profound, but his actions and words don't equal her feelings - of course this has a large part to do with the fact that she is a teenage girl completely smitten.

While there were a few things missing, A Season for Eden is a wonderful read. The writing style is simple making this a very quick read (I read it in a day and a half). It is a perfect read for the summer. While it may not have made it to my favorites list, I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: A Season of Eden (Paperback)
I am always wary reading a book from an author I have never heard of, but I am so glad I read this book! It was absolutely fantastic and I could not put it down. I felt such compassion for the books protagonist Eden and was sad to say goodbye when I finished the book.
The ending did not disappoint which I was so worried it would. All round a great read, which I definitely will read again.

A Season of Eden