5.0 out of 5 stars iStream wonder
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by Atlantic1952

3.0 out of 5 stars good radio but
Published 6 months ago by kelvin

5.0 out of 5 stars iStream wonder, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Roberts Revival iStream FM Radio with Internet and DAB (Electronics)
Bought this as a Christmas present for my wife who loves it. If you're considering buying don't hesitate, its a fantastic radio. Make sure you go for the iStream version (they have a DAB & FM only model)if you have a wireless router in the home or place of use. The number of web stations available world-wide make it a real pleasure to use. I originally bought this as DAB reception of Radio 2 in our area (Ash Vale near Guildford) was predicted to be a little iffy. I need not have worried as DAB works very well but you need the telescopic aerial extended to be reliable. When using wiFi however I didnt have to raise the aerial at all so its more convenient. The plug top AC mains adaptor is recommended as they say the current consumption on wiFi is higher than DAB or FM (understandable). We used it on both but not long enough on batteries (4 x D cell) to find out how long it would last. The phono output (3.5mm jack) was a nice feature as we fed it into the HiFi amp for our new years party and it sounded really good. Stereo of course when hooked up on line out. (the radio has one good loudspeaker) The sound quality is very good and the equalizer function allows you to set it for jazz, speech, rock etc. or you can set up your own 'profile' of bass & treble, very nice. The top mounted USB port is a nice feature allowing you to play pre-loaded files. I tried this out of interest and the navigation through to the file was superb. It ran beautifully on the MP3 I had loaded.
The quality of construction is very good and I can highly recommend this superb radio. If you can go for the iStream version its going to open up a world wide reception of thousands of 'stations' and so much more interesting than just DAB and FM. Listening to stations in Australia or the USA with perfect reception takes some getting used to, it opens up a new listening experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 30 Mar 2011
I have only just connected this radio but I love it. The sound quality is great. The internet streaming capabilities are amazing. The radio is easy to use and set up. The controls are quite intuitive. Forget about TV radio is the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio, 13 April 2011
I was initially looking at the Roberts RD60 Revival radio (which incidentally is fantastic, my friend at uni owns one) but really wanted a DAB radio with an alarm, my current FM clock radio sounds terrible and cant hold a signal. This radio is so easy to set up, connecting to the internet takes seconds and it is very easy to stream my itunes library off my mac (this did require a third party program which runs in the background).

The sound quality is great at moderate and low volumes, and the build quality is great. As i said, i bought this radio for its alarm feature, but the number of other features surprised me slightly. I thought it would have been a large hassle to set up the internet radio and to stream music off my computer, but the radio is very easy to use with menus laid out well and a straightforward instruction manual.

The only downside is the price. Its a super radio but seeing that the price has risen to 199.99 since i bought mine at 185.99, i would say that the price is the only negative about this radio. Maybe I say that because im a student and dont have an income during term time.
Oh, also, if your internet isn't great or you plan on placing this radio where the wireless is intermittent (my bedroom or kitchen are both a little intermittent) then the radio can cut out for a few seconds every few minutes, but placed in decent range of the router then you should have no problems

But i have to say, this is a fantastic radio, with a surprising number of features. I would certainly recommend this radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to set up, 17 Feb 2011
This is my second internet radio. It's in a different (better) world to its predecessor: easy to set up, finds and holds the network signal and really nice looking. The other major plus is the instruction manual which is written in clear English and provides plenty of detail. It feels and works like a quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions count!, 1 Dec 2010
I was initially looking at the Roberts Stream 83i, the spec and features were what I was looking for and the price was right, but I wasn't enamoured with the looks, and the size was bigger than my existing Roberts DAB radio. Then I saw the new Revival iStream in a local shop, had a 'hands on' introduction and was immediately smitten. The Revival does everything the Stream does, is more compact, looks better (if you're of a certain age!) and has the added advantage of battery backup, so is a true 'portable'.

Controls are easy to understand, if a little fiddly in some areas, notably inputting text, but that's mainly for initial network setup. However, so far I have had no need to look at the manual, it worked 'straight out of the box' with everything being very intuitive. I had the whole thing set up with DAB, FM, internet access and media streaming from my Iomega NAS box within 15 minutes. I was then able to use my pc to register with the preferred network radio site, to find and construct my lists of favourite radio stations and podcasts which were automatically downloaded to the unit.

The price is more than the 83i but, in my opinion, is well worth it. There's a lot more to discover about this radio, but I'm looking forward to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars ace, 26 Jan 2011
If you're a music lover a wi-fi radio is an absolute must and this one is probably the best. Endless supply of any genre stations and the last fm feature is fantastic. The player itself is a solid wee retro style box looks perfect in my kitchen where I do most if not all my listening. Is easy to set up as long as you are picking up the wi-fi signal.....Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 23 Feb 2011
I had been considering purchasing a digital radio for some time but never got around to it. However after brousing amazon saw this and thought it fitted requirements as I wanted something with portable capabilities and from the spec and reviews this had. After receiving the product I have to say that this is the buy of the year so far I love it. It has so many good features and well worth the money. I love the internet radio option you can listen to radio from US and many other countries and it really broadens the horizens, you can also play your own music from MP3 from a USB stick and take this with you around the house and further. Sound is great and it looks very retro too, perfect. I would happily recommend this to anyone but if you are only after the DAB radio there are cheaper options out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but not perfect, 11 April 2011
I have never been interested in DAB, preferring to listen to recorded media and fm instead. This radio appealed primarily because I can stream from my pc. I have had the istream revival for about a week now, and here are my thoughts:

pros:
1. build quality is very good (though not perfect, watch out for bubbles in the veneer which can easily be sorted), but does feel like its built to last!
2. Connectivity - very good
3. Its made in the UK... this is a big plus for me.
cons:
1.can't manage your favourites list from the radio, you have to go to a pc...
2. sound is mediocre at best! the manual quotes 1.0 watt of output, and it sounds very weak (particularly at low volumes).
3. when off, the clock only shows when its running on batteries. How much juice does an lcd display need?
4. Price, I just expected more for 200.

other:
1. I have a USB dac/amp (ibasso d4), would be nice to be able to use it with this radio! Now that would be a truely portable single solution.
2. I bought some 3000mah rechargeables foolishly thinking that they would do the job, but barely make 5 hours of wifi listening. I have since ordered some 10000mah batteries, If I get 15hrs I'll be happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars good radio but, 8 Oct 2013
Excellent radio etc, but the transformer is c**p. I am on my third in 2 years. The rubber grommet that supposed to support the wire where it enters the transformer is too stiff, so the wire just breaks off there, no matter how careful you are. If you use the internet radio you need the transformer as the batteries then don't last very long at all, and if you use it in more than one room you need to move the transformer... They, Roberts, have replaced it both times, under protest the second time (today - its in the post now), and both times I reported it to their tec. dept. explaining it was an obvious weakness, but have been told that they are unlikely to do anything about it. Poor but not bad, if you are prepared to replace the transformer adapter every nine months or so. kelvin

5.0 out of 5 stars The world in a little box!, 22 Jan 2012
My parwnts-in-law gave us this radio for our Christmas present. I thought it was going to be just a normal radio, but when we switched it on and a radio station from my home country started playing perfectly clear and in real-time I couldn't beleieve it! You can tune ANY radio station in the world, most of them play with HQ sound. If you're from abroad or are trying to learn a foreign language this radio is worth its weight in gold. I must mention my in-laws have a diffrent model but ours (this one) has a much better sound quality. Buy it!

ARRAY(0xaa676d38)