on 4 December 2010
I originally ordered this model before it had been released and when it arrived I was initially pleased but within 24 hours I had my first blue screen of death and I had two more BSOD's in the first week so was very dissapointed.
However Amazon were very efficient in providing a replacement and collecting mine ( almost pre jumping my thoughts) and I am now evaluating this new one. Screen and keyboard are excellent and whilst I dont like lots of factory software I am getting used to the Viao gate display of programme and some of their other software. Inclusion of Office 2010 word and excel is a useful bonus.Battery isn't exactly brilliant, at about three hours, but i suppose with a 17 inch screen you are more likely to use it on the mains. Internal speakers are average. Windows experience index came out at 5.0, which is better than my desktop although I havent noticed much difference in performance between the two.

After the first experience I am still nervous but after a week I am getting more optimistic.
on 28 November 2011
Built like a tank..the Sony Vaio laptop (VPCEC3SOE) with 17 inch + screen is a joy and doubles as a desktop without all the bulk..i5 Intel processor is soooo powerful..does everything I want. Battery life with this size screen around 2 hrs..hey but who wants to lug it about..only techies..sad people!!..can if you want though.. best of all.. this was a 'as new' ware house Amazon clearance..around £500 cheaper..thanks Amazon.. super product..super service!!
on 30 December 2010
Got this laptop just before Christmas. It looks great and the HD screen is brilliant. Its really fast with 6gb of ram and with the white keyboard it looks great. Only problem is and its a minor gripe, the cd/dvd drive has no lightscribe. That is the only reason I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5, otherwise a great laptop.
on 12 September 2014
love it, it looks amazing and does a perfect job, lots of memory very responsive and cannot be faulted on performance....all this said, its a bit heavy and that is a drawback...battery life could be better but i find i have constantly plugged in.
I would recommend this computer to most people but not those who want to be mobile and carry it everywhere, its far too heavy.
I bought this for my wife who did not want another full blown PC, some portability and reasonable battery life (a good couple of hours). So far the Sony Vaio EC3SOE has fitted the bill.

Construction is typically Sony (not Mac standards) but realistically half the price.

The screen is very good and it is reasonably quiet in operation. Boot up takes less than a minute, and there is a feature to do a quick web boot, but that really limits what you can do ... great for a quick check on something.

We thought that the audio quality is pretty good, but the volume is quite poor, as is the location of the on/off/standby switch ...all too easy to hit.

All in all, a reasonable price for the spec, good clear screen, and light enough to cart around.

I'm a little surprised that there is no catch or magnetic latch, but for our needs it is not an issue.
on 17 November 2010
Usually buy sony, but last buy decided to give a cheaper model a chance (Acer) never again, back to good old reliable sony and not disappointed. Lasts for years so great value for money. No problems so far.
on 6 June 2013
Over all this laptop is great and would recommend it. However please be aware before you buy it that the mouse track pad is rough. So if you are planning on using it regularly you might want to attach a mouse. Otherwise be prepared for rather sore fingers!
I've had this laptop now for 2 and a half years, there is only one thing other than the track pad that frustrates me. I don't know if it is just my laptop that does this or if others. I have very sensitive eyes and need the brightness set quite low. If I move my laptop around too much when it is in sleep mode, the brightness setting gets confused. It gets stuck on full brightness, even when it is saying it's at the lowest setting. The only thing that will change this is a restart. which can be very frustrating if you are in the middle of working. (But as I said, this could be just a fault with mine, it's been doing this since day 1)
Otherwise great all-round laptop!
on 13 December 2013
I bought this on the 26/12/2010 and seriously regret the amount I spent for a laptop that was faulty from the factory, repaired under warranty as I had bought it at John Lewis where at the time you got a two year warranty (it had just gone over the first year). So in the last few days the thing has cut off from overheating a few times. This laptop barely ever left the house, never got dropped, and is hardly pushed for performance. I'm quite competent with technology and inspected the fan and other parts, and I can't see a logical reason for the overheating. I won't be buying Sony again...Goodbye Sony VIAO. Sony, if you're even bothered, I will tell everyone who asks about your products not to waste their hard earned money!
on 10 November 2010
If you have a look at the Technical Specifications for this item you will see Amazon have listed the following;

Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM
Optical Drive Type: Blu-ray Disc ROM with DVD SuperMulti
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M GPU

These are incorrect.
on 9 May 2012
I was very happy to receive this Sony Vaio 17.3 inch laptop initially. During the 1st year it developed an intermittent problem with the left click. I'd have to press down really hard at times for it to work. I contacted Sony and they were going to pick up the machine and have it fixed but meantime it started working ok again. I left it. Everything seemed fine. The left click worked. A few months later same problem this time it was just outside the warranty period (1 year). They talked me thro' an update and it was fine again. Approx 1 month later same thing, they said they could organise for it to be fixed but it would be at my cost. I tried to explain to them that this is the same problem I got in the 1st year (that comes and goes) but they didn't want to know. The laptop is in it's 2nd year. I have to use an external mouse. This is not what I'd expect from a machine that's less than 2 years old. I wish I'd spent the extra and bought an Apple. I looked online and many people have had similar problems. Shame on you Sony I thought you were a reputable company. I've owned many laptops but 1st time a Sony. I'll never buy Sony again.