on 29 December 2010
I bought this laptop as a replacement for my first Vaio. I have always liked Sony Vaio laptops, as they are well built and look amazing. And this is no exception. To begin, the colour is amazing! It is so eyecatching and is a really nice change to the usual black or silver that you get. I chose the blue as above. I wasnt sure if it would look a bit cheap in a colour as vivid as this, but it certainly doesnt! It looks very 'deep' and gives a really nice finish.
The whole machine feels solid and well built. The lid opens very smoothly, and the inside is just as pleasing on the eye as the outside. The keyboard is wonderful, and feels so natural when you're typing. And the spacing of the keys really does help. The track pad is slightly textured, which i like, and it is extremely responsive.
The screen is extremely clear and images are crisp. Colours look very bright and vivid. The computer is also fast. I use it for design, and it is more than capable at photoshop, illustrator etc. Graphics are smooth and multitasking is very good. Windows 7 is so easy to use, and i have had no problems with it whatsoever.
Overall, this is an excellent laptop, and I would recommend it to anyone, whether you use it for everyday computing or something more demanding such as design. It was definitely worth every penny!
55 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2011
I am uploading this review because I feel that, as consumers, you have the right to know exactly what kind of manufacturer you will be dealing with. And, because I wish someone had told me this before I purchased a Sony product!

Be well aware that if you choose to buy Sony, it is very likely that you will live to regret this decision. I have absolutely no connection to Sony or any other company; I have included my case ID number so that Sony can verify my ID and confirm that I am simply a (very unhappy!) consumer. I have made a video to show you the faults my laptop have and explain how Sony has dealt with me. I strongly urge you to watch it.....it may save you a lot of time & money!

If you need further proof, please do not hesitate to confirm for yourself that there are hundreds of Sony users who are in the same position as me. There are website upon website of complaints (not sure I'm allowed to name them, so I will leave it up to you to verify for yourself - just Google it).

Should you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them - just leave a comment or email me. Happy laptop hunting :0)
2020 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2011
You pay a bit more for a Sony Laptop but what you get is a nice looking, neat 'solid' feeling machine. Particularly like having the latest i3 processor and also the 'chiclet style' full size keyboard feels good. The 14 ins screen is ample and makes for a compact machine. Having no separate number keypad to right of main keyboard not a problem for me. The case and wrist rest area seem to have been designed to largely avoid leaving finger print marks which many laptops seem to have. Screen a little bit reflective but quite manageable. Battery life not brilliant at 2 to 3 hours but this not a problem with me. Touch pad very sensitive - prefer to plug in a mouse via one of the three USB ports.
There is quite a bit of 'bloatwear' included with the machine e.g. free trial of Photoshop Elements 8 and Premier Elements 8 for 30 days that is worth removing (now both updated to version 9 anyway). The laptop also comes with two months of Mcafee anti virus package free but then they want £30+ for a year subscription at the end of 2 months at a time when Kaspersky was offering 12 months for £18 (and anyway in recent Which reports Kaspersky performed much better) suggest taking the 2 months then switching.
All in all and after owning for 30 days so far - very satisfied.
*Just to feed back that after a year all is still much as above above but am finding battery life usage closer to one hour max when using for DVD showing, editing etc - could be better I feel.
on 21 July 2011
I really like this laptop. Screen's a good size - I honestly thought it was going to be slightly smaller than it is - so perfectly viewable. Sound is good, keys are good, etc etc. I've done some audio editing on it and some video work and it has handled it fine. It did get a little hot when I started up Crysis 2 and I didn't play for long because the fan really started going-I was a little surprised that it ran at all though and I didn't even have to change the specs on the game ;-)

So for me it is virtually a desktop replacement. I don't need to use it for gaming and it does everything else I need it to so.

On to the caveat... all said above was after I uninstalled the 64 bit version of windows - as it was completely unstable. I removed that and put on the 32 bit version of windows 7, which runs absolutely fine (had to download all the drivers again and the brightness shortcuts don't work but I've got a work-around for that-display settings; adjust brightness). Incidentally I'm dual booting it with the latest version of ubuntu (11.4) and it runs fine too-and the brightness shortcuts actually work under ubuntu! So, all in all a really nice machine - but if the stability (or lack of) is the same throughout the line then I wouldn't recommend this machine unless the end-user is prepared to uninstall the os and replace it with the 32 bit version. I gather 64 bit runs slightly hotter and requires slightly more power, so I've put the instability down to this...
on 3 February 2011
I bought one of these laptops - big mistake! They look good but after 15 days of use the screen started having problems. Sony said the screen is cracked and not covered by the warranty!! I have not done anything to it so no idea how it cracked! Don't buy if you want something to last more than a month!
on 7 January 2011
The VAIO was bought to replace an ancient Toshiba Tablet PC. Very smart glossy outer case, taking me a while to get used to Win 7. Keyboard very nice to use and very easy to set-up with Broadband link. Not tried wireless yet, so not sure of coverage in our house.
Fast connection, like the instant surfing feature. Hope it lasts as long as the Tablet !
John C.
on 19 July 2011
This laptop is really good. The colour is great, it runs smoothly and has amazing graphics. I know its not the most powerful graphics card but it does a decent job at running next gen games, depending on the graphics demand level. To give you an idea, it can run resident evil 5 smoothly.

The size of the laptop is pretty good too. not too big but not too small.

Battery lasts about 2 - 3hrs which is pretty normal for a laptop.

The only down side of this laptop is the sound is a bit metally. But im not too big on music on a laptop anyway so its perfect for me. But if you are into listening to music on a laptop then maybe this isnt the laptop for you or maybe you need to buy some speakers for it.
on 16 May 2011
I have had mine for a month and have found it the best one I have bought even worth the extra cost (I have had three Acers). The keyboard is smooth and easy to use, you have three usb hubs on the right hand side and a one touch select key to the web (which is fantastic). If there were two things that I would like to change these would be the position of the CD/DVD drawer so that it was where the USB hubs are as a printer connection wire can get in the way when you want to open the drawer, and please stop installing Norton software (It seems impossible to uninstall if you don't want it) do the manufactures make money from Norton to do this!!!? All in all I am very impressed. Well done Sony
on 17 February 2011
I am very happy with this product and in fact all Sony Vaio products. I had bought my first one back in 2006, and it is still working perfectly, even the countless flights when it has been in my suitcase, and my alcohol nights, when I had spilled alcohol on it on several occassions, and other liquids in two other occassions, all over the key board, the liquids came out from the lower part of the computer.

And is still working. Thanks, Sony!
on 21 February 2013
It makes me think that either the sound card is bad or the product is not authentic. The product and the support are bad